K701 thread
Sep 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,786 of 2,619
k/q701 have real bass deficiency and it's an undisputable fact. The bass in these AKGs is shy and unnaturally detailed although goes deep. I compensate it with the equalizer of foobar2000. And the EQ-ed k701 are superb headphones. :)

It's a matter of opinion, not an "undisputed fact"

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #1,787 of 2,619

Quote:
k/q701 have real bass deficiency and it's an undisputable fact. The bass in these AKGs is shy and unnaturally detailed although goes deep. ...

7041Riveting_tale_chap.jpg

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #1,790 of 2,619
If you are using an amp with a high output impedance, damping becomes a problem - and when you take 'phones that were hardly bass-heavy to start with and then screw the bass up, they're not going to sound too good.
Also, my K702s are due to arrive any second now. Would have gone with the K701, but I have a stupidly massive skull so wanted the version with the comfier headband...

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #1,791 of 2,619
It doesn't have bass problems, the cans are just begging to be amped. What're you using?

Over the years I've used my k701 with a moded Corda Prehead, some OTLs, build by my friend, a TPA6120-based SS amp, and now with Audio-GD FUN. I have none of the $$$$ amps promoted over the head-fi, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't change my conclusions about k701's bass. Generally I prefer more bassy headphones, especially DX1000, HD650, HE-5 or my O2mk2 but there's something in k701 that makes me want them.... maybe the smooth and natural presentation which is unique. And fixed with the foobar's equalizer they're superb :)

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #1,792 of 2,619
It doesn't have bass problems, the cans are just begging to be amped....

+1
While I think that my E9 -which is supposed to be a quite powerful amp for the money- has the power to drive them I have the feeling that they will benefit a lot from an even more powerful amp and with better quality of course...
I think that someone could come to very wrong conclusions if he auditions these cans unamped!!

What ever the case I like them very much and I am not planing to sell them (may be never), regardless the fact that I would like to have more cans in my collection.

Another fact is that they are also very sensitive to source! Speaking for my setup I for example the limitations of my dacs are very obvious with 701s... when is this Bifrost schiit coming out did you say???:D

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,795 of 2,619

Quote:
The drop in lower frequencies (the wavy FR) is not a matter of opinion but it's a matter of taste if you are happy with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do like my k701 but I accept the truth that it has bass problems.

I really like the bass on the Q701s just the way it is, but I would like a bit more transparent treble, IMHO.......probably because my taste leans towards a lot of old jazz.
I think the K70x and Q701s are a great value for the $$$.
On another topic........one of these days I really gotta try my Qs with a tube amp. Maybe a Darkvoice or a Little Dot.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #1,796 of 2,619

Quote:

I really like the bass on the Q701s just the way it is, but I would like a bit more transparent treble, IMHO.......probably because my taste leans towards a lot of old jazz.

Doable.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,797 of 2,619
Still one of my favourite cans for classical music.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,798 of 2,619

Quote:

I think the K70x and Q701s are a great value for the $$$.
On another topic........one of these days I really gotta try my Qs with a tube amp. Maybe a Darkvoice or a Little Dot.

When considering a tube amp for 70x skip Little Dot MKIII. At least with stock tubes it just doesn't work. Sounds beautiful yes, but at higher listening volumes the sound becomes compressed quickly. Bought one my self and ended up selling it after couple of months luckily without having to lose to much money.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #1,799 of 2,619
Only made it to page 44 of this thread, plus a spot reading of some of the later pages...glad to see this fine headphone still getting the attention it deserves!

Laughed at the reference to "how many headphone amps have you bought trying to get the K701/2 to sound just right?"  (loose quote)  That's where I'm still at!  HLLY DMK-IV, with its quasi "Lehman circuit" drives them ok.  The Meier Headfive is a bit smoother, the AMB mini3...not so well.  Found favorable references to AMB's MMM amp, and that really intrigues me, as does the reference to the CKIII amp.  Might have to build them both...
tongue_smile.gif

My K701's started life as mrarroyo's after he had them recabled with APuresound cables, then sold them to another head-fier, who later sold them to me.  I think eventually a balanced amp (M^3 balanced?) might be in the picture, as it wouldn't take much to make the APuresound cabling balanced.

My other headphones are like a destination for me...kind of like what I hear is what they are.  I'm still journeying with the K701's, I don't think I'm near done getting what I can out of them, but I still enjoy them using what I have.  I can forsee keeping them around for a long time, as they change so much with every improvement to my (meager) set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back