K701 thread
Jun 17, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #752 of 2,619
I still don't get the hate.. My first time with the 701 I had a grin like the Joker, & was wowed.. It sounded as close to a speaker as I ever heard.. But the wow factor wore of to some degree.. Maybe that's why I prefer my DT48. They never wowed me in the beginning, middle, or end.. They just play how the music was recorded. Not a knock against the 701.. Being wowed can be fun.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #757 of 2,619
Wow factor is temporary, while the the extended pleasure of enjoying music is eternal... Time, you need to pay attention to time, if it takes a lot of time and its still pleasurable, then its the real thing, if its immediate and wow inducing, its temporary.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #759 of 2,619
No, I think normalcy does.. Wow is fun for a while, but at the end of the day you want something more realistic & true to life.. Do you enjoy watching movies will unbelievable stunts all the time? I don't.

Quote:
Isn't it the "Wow" factor that keeps us listening to... and buying... more cans even after we think we've found the ones with the perfect "synergy"?  :wink:

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #761 of 2,619
I love Diana but favor her "Live in Paris" album over The Girl.  I don't think she has a bad recording on the public market.

A great audio reproduction system, whether that be cans or a full room system, needs to be able to bring realism and life like immersion to the recordings it plays.  I say "life like" because most of my favorite live recordings I wasn't able to attend in person so to say... "just like the real thing" is not accurate. The Krall album I mention above is a fine example of this...  on a capable system this music is very easy to sink into... to feel as if you are actually there, in maybe the fifth or sixth row.  Makes me go "Wow!" every time I get the chance to really relax and enjoy it.  The K701 is part of such a system.

P.S.  "Temptation" is a superb track, even without her singing!  Love the bass and clean percussion.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #762 of 2,619
I too love Diana Krall, but I do find her albums are typically poor recordings full of sibilance, hiss, and other oddities.
confused.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #764 of 2,619

Quote:
I love Diana but favor her "Live in Paris" album over The Girl.  I don't think she has a bad recording on the public market.

A great audio reproduction system, whether that be cans or a full room system, needs to be able to bring realism and life like immersion to the recordings it plays.  I say "life like" because most of my favorite live recordings I wasn't able to attend in person so to say... "just like the real thing" is not accurate. The Krall album I mention above is a fine example of this...  on a capable system this music is very easy to sink into... to feel as if you are actually there, in maybe the fifth or sixth row.  Makes me go "Wow!" every time I get the chance to really relax and enjoy it.  The K701 is part of such a system.

P.S.  "Temptation" is a superb track, even without her singing!  Love the bass and clean percussion.

The trick is to connect emotionally with the track. This is where either the gear helps you or lets you down. In case it helps you then you experience something you cannot describe, but it has worked its way through your soul (if you believe in one). From then on you have a smile on your face, you know you've experienced something transcendent.

MecedonianHero on the other hand, does not wait for such experience, he buys the latest and greatest. :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #765 of 2,619

Quote:
The trick is to connect emotionally with the track. This is where either the gear helps you or lets you down. In case it helps you then you experience something you cannot describe, but it has worked its way through your soul (if you believe in one). From then on you have a smile on your face, you know you've experienced something transcendent.

MecedonianHero on the other hand, does not wait for such experience, he buys the latest and greatest. :)

Sorry, I just can't get by on mid-fi. I'm an engineer and we're totally about continuous improvement and optimization...it's in my blood. But I stand by her poor recordings that you can even tell with cheap iBuds. If it's only about connecting to the music, then just go with a set of SR60s and leave this place.

Let's not go through this again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back