K701 thread
Jun 9, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #721 of 2,619

Quote:
^Which cable was it exactly? I just got the Blue-Dragon and I like it; gives them a slightly warmer sound with a little more detail. 

That is what I don't know,neither does the owner.
His friend built it for him, payed $250.00 for the cable.

I'am sure that it is a decent cable as the member has a recabled HF2 which people raved about at our recent meet.The cabling was done by the same person. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #722 of 2,619
Oh wow alright. Whenever I get some more money saved up I think I might go and get a Silver-Dragon and use that for classical music and stuff; Blue for everything else :)

I doubt it though; there are other things that I want to buy to keep me occupied and away from boredom :)

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #723 of 2,619
A scientific analysis of the K701:  Why Acix has been right all along.

2 long years I have owned this headphone and now I finally understand.  I am still in the midst of a comprehensive subjective and objective analysis of my trio of reference headphones, K701, D7000 and HD650.  All this time I have favored the HD650 over all others for its warmth and non fatiguing properties - there is something also with the HD650 which kept me coming back - I viewed them as very realistic in recreating instruments, even though I new they were not neutral - I now know why.  Recent analysis reveals these particular attributes which are scientific and true to the best of my knowledge, using just my hearing and a new analysis involving the use of our sense of vision.

The K701 - has the most accurate frequency response from the lower mid, all the way up to the center mid.  From the upper mid on - it has a well known flaw.  The best transparency and detailing and  neutrality of the bass depending on one important factor.

The D7000 - has the most accurate frequency response from the center mid, up to upper mids and carries on with the most accurate treble:  One interesting finding I never realised - the best transient response, even better than the K701's.  The bass also depends upon the same important factor.

The HD650 - is scientifically the worst headphone with excessively softened transients, why then did I feel they were the best then?

The answers and more to come in an upcoming review of headphones, amplifiers and the all important synergy.  I have learned so much in the past couple of days - this review will take a while to compile, when it is done I will post it up.  Now back to work.

K701 VS HD650: The rematch  -  battle of the light middleweight.

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #724 of 2,619
Where did you get those measurements?

Quote:
A scientific analysis of the K701:  Why Acix has been right all along...

Edit: forget it, you wrote hearing, which means it is not scientific data.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #725 of 2,619

Quote:
The HD650 - is scientifically the worst headphone with excessively softened transients, why then did I feel they were the best then?

The sound coming out of HD650 is actually very close to what speakers sound like (I'm not sure about natural sound since I have limited experience with live music). The added bass is to compensate the lack of real sub bass in HPs while the highs re refined since the speakers re nxt to ur ears instead of few mettres away.  

Btw, I want to suggest burning the K701 using the channel mix file from burninwave.com my K701 opened up so much after a day of running the file through them. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #727 of 2,619
I don't own these headphones, but I feel the need to chime in.  This past weekend I attended CanJam 2010 in Chicago, and tried out all kinds of crazy, esoteric equipment.  When I got to the Woo Audio room I auditioned their low end amp with a pair of AKG 701's.  I was impressed.  These cans had a very spacious and clear sound to them.  Out of all the equipment at the meet, the K-701's suprised me the most.  A very good bang for the buck.

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #729 of 2,619

Quote:
I don't own these headphones, but I feel the need to chime in.  This past weekend I attended CanJam 2010 in Chicago, and tried out all kinds of crazy, esoteric equipment.  When I got to the Woo Audio room I auditioned their low end amp with a pair of AKG 701's.  I was impressed.  These cans had a very spacious and clear sound to them.  Out of all the equipment at the meet, the K-701's suprised me the most.  A very good bang for the buck.

These are my first high end can. I do not believe for  or the money there is anything better, Especially for classical music. Soundstage and detail are super. Very transparent as long as source and amp is good. It will let you know a bad recording.

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #730 of 2,619

Quote:
I don't understand the 701/02 vs. 650 debate with the new prices on the 701/02's...isn't the 650 at least $150 more new?

Cos Sennheiser has some ridiculous pricing policy they are top of the line of each brand (take away the HD800 and K1000). Personally I think K701 and HD650 is a good combination HPs to own. They both scale nicely with your system, and compliment each other. Only one problem arise, which amp would have good synergy with both of these phones, since their sound sig is totally different from each other? 

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #732 of 2,619
for instance? 

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #733 of 2,619
If you're asking for a particular amp for an example I can't give you a name since amps aren't my forte; however I was saying like.... instead of an amp that emphasized the bass or mids you could get an amp that hardly had any coloring at all (iQube pops into my mind right now) that wouldn't really change the sound of either can. 

That way you would have the power to drive them (not saying iQube can do it, that was just an example of a neutral amp) and you could listen to both the 702 and 600/650 with their respective sound signatures. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #734 of 2,619
With the right synergy, I'd put the 701 up against headphones costing twice as much.. They are MUSICAL.. If they are not it's the gear & or a lack of drive..I loved my BADA12/DAC1 combo.. I was a fool to get rid of that combo..But I wanted 'better.' I got greedy.. I still prefer the 650 in general, but the 701 technical merits are above those of the 650..Speed. Clarity. Detail. transparency. AKG walked a fine line between being serious & analytical, & fun & musical.. & overall, I feel they did a good job of it.. I do have my gripes with the 701, but the positives easily out weighted the negatives.. I never heard music sound as good as my 701/BADA12/DAC1.. This includes my DT48, my favorite closed headphone.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #735 of 2,619

Quote:

I would agree, the K701's impressed me at a meet, made me buy them soon after,they get the most head time currently mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back