K701 thread
Jun 11, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #737 of 2,619

Quote:
With the right synergy, I'd put the 701 up against headphones costing twice as much.. They are MUSICAL.. If they are not it's the gear & or a lack of drive..I loved my BADA12/DAC1 combo.. I was a fool to get rid of that combo..But I wanted 'better.' I got greedy.. I still prefer the 650 in general, but the 701 technical merits are above those of the 650..Speed. Clarity. Detail. transparency. AKG walked a fine line between being serious & analytical, & fun & musical.. & overall, I feel they did a good job of it.. I do have my gripes with the 701, but the positives easily out weighted the negatives.. I never heard music sound as good as my 701/BADA12/DAC1.. This includes my DT48, my favorite closed headphone.

re: K70x, this pretty much describes my sentiment as well.  my beef with the HD650 was that i couldn't't get it to carry a tune and groove.  speedy and agile it was not.  the K70x can be a fun and engaging listen, but requires sympathetic ancillaries.  while i am not a fan of the DAC1 upstream of the K70x (it worked really well with DT990/600), preferring the warmer y2, there's more than one path up the mountain. 

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #738 of 2,619

Quote:

The sound coming out of HD650 is actually very close to what speakers sound like (I'm not sure about natural sound since I have limited experience with live music). The added bass is to compensate the lack of real sub bass in HPs while the highs re refined since the speakers re nxt to ur ears instead of few mettres away.  

Btw, I want to suggest burning the K701 using the channel mix file from burninwave.com my K701 opened up so much after a day of running the file through them. 

"Imaging", something I have precisely honed into...more later.

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #739 of 2,619
After years with a lowly Bithead I am looking to upgrade to a more serious home amp. I have ready asinine amounts of info on amp choices but I am not sure I am any closer to a decision. 

Absolute ideal would be a usb DAC/Amp that adds a touch of bass and warmth all for less than 400.  I listen to mostly modern/indie rock and jazz. Any suggestions?

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #740 of 2,619
I stated this in the Audio GD-fun thread, but you might have not read it. I have Fun with opa moon installed. It's a really good match with 701 and I mostly listen to the same genres as you. With the stock opa Fun with 701 was quite bad.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #741 of 2,619
I just got my K702s yesterday.  Hooked them up to my Nakamchi 410 Pre/420 amp.  I was told/I read the bass was lacking...but these headphones have unbelievable bass.  They have unbelievable everything...gotta say I have never been more pleased with headphones.  These are on par with headphones twice as expensive.  It's hard to make the decision to listen to these or my speakers.......wow!

The best thing is that it sounds like the music is coming from all over- using any enhancement like DTS actually makes it sounds less spacious. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #742 of 2,619
that's what I always say is the true strength of the K701: it's uneoevable huge and surround soundstage. I'm glad you're enjoying your K702!

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #744 of 2,619
I was underwhelmed with their bass, till I educated myself on accurate bass & non accurate bass.. I used to insult the 701's bass as lacking.. But with my a tube amp & quality source, the bass is there is spades.. It won't have the hard hitting 900 impact, but the bass is very realistic, especially in terms of jazz, orchestras, & drums.. Their bass is a nice up grade over my beloved DT48.

Quote:
I just got my K702s yesterday.  Hooked them up to my Nakamchi 410 Pre/420 amp.  I was told/I read the bass was lacking...but these headphones have unbelievable bass.  They have unbelievable everything...gotta say I have never been more pleased with headphones.  These are on par with headphones twice as expensive.  It's hard to make the decision to listen to these or my speakers.......wow!

The best thing is that it sounds like the music is coming from all over- using any enhancement like DTS actually makes it sounds less spacious. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #745 of 2,619

Quote:
I was underwhelmed with their bass, till I educated myself on accurate bass & non accurate bass.. I used to insult the 701's bass as lacking.. But with my a tube amp & quality source, the bass is there is spades.. It won't have the hard hitting 900 impact, but the bass is very realistic, especially in terms of jazz, orchestras, & drums.. Their bass is a nice up grade over my beloved DT48.

X2
Acoustic jazz bass is extremely lifelike with the 70X, IMO. Not at all lacking in any way. Now for slammin' hip hop you may want a different h/p, but that music was made to be listened to on bass heavy systems I fairly certain. But for pure accuracy of acoustic bass, the k70X excels. Does very well with classic rock also.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #746 of 2,619
Yes, That is one aspect I prefer the 701 over the DT48 in certain instances.. Acoustic bass is something the 701 does extremely well.. & different then the DT48.. Hopefully you can compare the two.. The 701 adds a slight hint/layer of warmth which really adds to the experience. Albeit, feel the DT48 is just a tad more accurate.

Quote:

X2
Acoustic jazz bass is extremely lifelike with the 70X, IMO. Not at all lacking in any way. Now for slammin' hip hop you may want a different h/p, but that music was made to be listened to on bass heavy systems I fairly certain. But for pure accuracy of acoustic bass, the k70X excels. Does very well with classic rock also.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #749 of 2,619
I'm listening to these cans through my Dual-mono MOSFET amp, great synergy exists between them. No problem with the bass at all. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #750 of 2,619
I love the K701, truly my first "jaw dropping" experience with headphones.  Spaciousness without end, closer to the experience I feel enveloped in the soundfield of some great speakers, and with razor sharp detail.  Bass is not what most kids are after today, that over emphasized boomy stuff that Dre seems to like putting his name on, but it's there with the K701s, it's tight, and it's accurate.

My *only* complaint with the K701 is that the speed bumps that rest on the top of my head when I'm wearing them get uncomfortable after awhile.  I've been looking at the K601 just because they don't have that feature!  Or is there another AKG that I'm missing, with the sound of the 701 but without that headband?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back