K701 thread
Sep 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #301 of 2,619
Download a pink noise clip and run it from your ipod on repeat. If not, organ music would be good. You want to extend the driver as far as you can. This sets the material's elastic memory as far as it will go. For further info. on break in, put "pink noise" in the search of the headphones forum.

Every time you use your headphones, the material loosens up as it is used. I run my headphone rig all weekend (with music). After a couple hours, everything sounds as good as it can as the electronics are at operating temperature and the headphones are loose.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #304 of 2,619
Well, after a lot of deliberation and then a lot of waiting, I received my (used) K701s in the mail a few days ago and use them with an MF X-Can v8. I'm very impressed by the quality. This is my first quality headphone setup, and so far I don't miss my speakers! Excellent cans, excellent amp, worth every penny, especially s/h.

Igel

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #306 of 2,619
Have not tried GS but X-cans V3 is not the best partner for K701.
I'm enjoying them with WA2.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #307 of 2,619
I saw a post about taking out the foam thin disks that are under the pads. I took them and it was became EVEN MORE detailed, sounds lighter and less muddy. Loving this very much. Also if anyone decided to take them out, try not to almost lose them like me.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #308 of 2,619
Oh my.....

Removing those foam donuts really impacts the highs. They were too strong for me. I did try the faux chamois mod. and while it did give more impact, the highs were not as crisp. I ended up going back to the original donuts.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #309 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw a post about taking out the foam thin disks that are under the pads. I took them and it was became EVEN MORE detailed, sounds lighter and less muddy. Loving this very much. Also if anyone decided to take them out, try not to almost lose them like me.

I really admire you guys: I completely lack the courage to open or mod my 701's in any way
k701smile.gif
... perhaps a couple of years from now...

cheers!

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #310 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701 demand tubes..

I have to agree. Got them as "upgrade" to my K501, and used them with my HeadRoom Home and Mapletree HD++. The tubes are much better, and they do outdo the K501. What people say about soundstage seems true; tighter on the K701.

What wasn't clear from the pictures is that the pads are severely lopsided; puts the drivers like that Sony MDR-something and HD800, though not so much I think.

Verrrry nice.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #311 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my.....

Removing those foam donuts really impacts the highs. They were too strong for me. I did try the faux chamois mod. and while it did give more impact, the highs were not as crisp. I ended up going back to the original donuts.

Each to his own I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really admire you guys: I completely lack the courage to open or mod my 701's in any way
k701smile.gif
... perhaps a couple of years from now...

cheers!

Heh, actually no modding is needed. And it's not a really big deal, just grip the pad and twist counter clockwise, and it will spin off.

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #312 of 2,619
I just got AKG 702's. I have had Sennheiser HD650's for a couple of years and liked them OK. But recently I've felt like I've been missing something, so I ordered 702's. I know that everybody says they need break-in (which I'm doing right now), but they bettered the Senn's right out of the box. (I play them through a Headroom Micro amp)

The AKG's were much clearer in the upper midrange, which made music more transparent and added presence. Because they were clearer, I got more location cues from the recording, which translated into a more detailed soundstage. Yet I would not consider them analytical or cold. Also, there was no midbass hump, which detracts from the clarity of the Senns. For example, it was much easier to hear the acoustic bass's actual pitches during the first track of "Kind of Blue" via the AKG's; they sounded more like vague thumps on the Senns.

Finally, I thought the bass was fine. There was plenty of impact in the classical music I listened to, as well as with acoustic jazz. And the lack of a midbass hump tamed the imfamous Telarc bass drum, too. I used the Rives Audio test CD and found the phones were clearly reproducing 20 Hz, and were plenty strong at 25 Hz.

For me, the AKG's fit my head better. More of the grip happens on the top half of the ear cushions. In contrast, the Senn has more pressure lower down, which for me squeezes my jawbone constantly. Ouch!

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #313 of 2,619
I think the upper mids boost helps us that have lost some hearing in this region. It'd be interesting to know the average age of the 70x fan. The younger ear may hear that boost as "plastic" sound and draws attention away from the bass.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #314 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'd be interesting to know the average age of the 70x fan. The younger ear may hear that boost as "plastic" sound and draws attention away from the bass.

good point. maybe start a thread with a poll for ages of 70x owners.
they sound good to my 42 year old ears
happy_face1.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #315 of 2,619
Still hearing a somewhat forward upper midrange and lower treble on my K702s. Had them since January 2009. They may have mellowed a little since new. I'm 42 as well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back