K701 thread
Aug 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #106 of 2,619
There's not a trace of brightness or sibilance on my pair at about 500 hours while being run by a LD Mk II, and a Purity Audio Caliente. I tried a pair of HD 600s, and THAT was bright, and sibilant, by comparison. I sent it back, and a pair of HD 650s will be arriving tomorrow.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #107 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palantiri7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's not a trace of brightness or sibilance on my pair at about 500 hours while being run by a LD Mk II, and a Purity Audio Caliente. I tried a pair of HD 600s, and THAT was bright, and sibilant, by comparison. I sent it back, and a pair of HD 650s will be arriving tomorrow.

Hmm, interesting that you say that. I'll burn them in some more (since they're nowhere near 500 hours, I'm sure), and see if they improve.

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #108 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would further burning it in lessen the brightness and sibilance?

Most emphaticaly yes. Mine, with almost 1000 hours on them do not exhibit any trace of those traits - and I have all solidstate amps in use right now.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #110 of 2,619
Wow. With only about 30 hours of burn in time so far I am amazed at the sound of these headphones. I am used to listening to WAV files with a pair of Shure SE420's through my computers headphone jack, and the sound of the K701's blows those away. I can't imagine how good they will sound when they are burned in fully and when I use them with the Little Dot amp i have on the way. Can't wait.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #111 of 2,619
Curse you head-fi! I thought once I got my DT880's I would never need to post again...

But alas, they are not perfect. So... The K701's.

Anyone here have both the K701's and the ER6i or ER4p/s? Do they sound similar, particularly the instrument seperation and detail? What are the mids like on the K701? Are they recessed? Finally, I've heard people say they don't like the unnatural soundstage of the K701. Anyone compared the soundstage of the K701 to the AD700/500/900? Is it similar?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #112 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curse you head-fi! I thought once I got my DT880's I would never need to post again...

But alas, they are not perfect. So... The K701's.

Sorry, but no headphones (or anything else for that matter), are perfect. One needs to find the ones with the fewest flaws that make you smile and live happily ever after

Quote:

Anyone here have both the K701's and the ER6i or ER4p/s? Do they sound similar, particularly the instrument seperation and detail? What are the mids like on the K701? Are they recessed? Finally, I've heard people say they don't like the unnatural soundstage of the K701. Anyone compared the soundstage of the K701 to the AD700/500/900? Is it similar?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

The K701s smoke the AD700s. Better bass (thanks to their tighter fit) and no, the mids are not recessed. As a matter of fact the mids are one of AKGs strengths. ANd I ahve no idea what you are refering to about an un-natural soundstage. Headphones in general don't soundstage like speakers do, but image placement and seperation - at least with my pair to my ears - sounds just fine, thank you very much. (Maybe that's why the K701s are my reference headphone - they sound the most neutral and even of any I've heard thus far.)

Aug 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #113 of 2,619
I listen to mine most often right out of the headphone jack of an emu 0404 USB. I alternate between them and a pair of HD 650's driven by a GLite.

They do not sound underpowered or outmached, imho.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #116 of 2,619
Quote:

Anyone here have both the K701's and the ER6i or ER4p/s? Do they sound similar, particularly the instrument seperation and detail?

I wouldn't dare consider myself an authority on this, but I've spent some time with all 3 (4, if you count P and S as separate IEMs) and think that the k701s sound a fair bit like the ER4S. To my ears they have a similar sound signature: very detailed, precise and somewhat on the bright side. Bass is tight and articulate but some may consider it to be lacking in volume. While I find that soundstaging is intrinsically unnatural in IEMs, they both do an equally good job of instrument separation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #118 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by lork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about getting some K701's... so maybe you're the folks to ask this question:

Benchmark DAC1, or Lavry DA10... will those DACs (both of which have headphone outs) drive the K701's properly (ie, is there synergy)?

Otherwise it looks like Bijou (DIY) or Darkvoice? Which Darkvoice?

I'm considering vs the Senn 600 or 650.

Thanks!

Guys - my first post here :). I've both of the DACs you mentioned, the Lavry in my project studio setup connected to a E-MU 1212m card and the Benchmark in my living room stero configuration driven either by a Primare CD21 or a Squeezebox. I've also got an MF X-Can v3 driven by an Arcam CD192. To me, the Lavry is the best match for the 701's, in fact a very good match IMO. The Benchmark is also pretty good but not quite as musically sounding. Imaging is better with the Lavry and so is the bass. The MF is a far worse in my book with unnatural treble and weaker bass. These cans really brings out all aspects of the source...I've also got Senn HD-650 and an older pair of HD-600 and they are far less revealing (i.e sensitive to source). Recently I've been interested in getting a Heed CanAmp to go with the Benchmark but I guess I need to compare to see if the extra kit adds to the overall experience. Anyone who has compared the DAC-1 with the Heed?

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #119 of 2,619
Just got my Little Dot amp...the LD 1+ was pretty much the only thing I could afford right now. Even though its the entry level amp I can't put into words how much better they make these phones sound. I was using them directly out my computers headphone jack before. The bass is much improved with the addition of the amp. I don't know what people say when they claim the K701's don't have any bass. I assume the bass only gets better as the tubes burn in, and with upgrading the amp. All I can say about these headphones is "Wow!"

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #120 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcatz12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what people say when they claim the K701's don't have any bass.

They must mean that it doesn't have enough bass to suit their personal taste, as it certainly does have bass.
I find the bass to be deep and of a very good quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcatz12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say about these headphones is "Wow!"

As much as I may have enjoyed the other headphones I have owned, when I took them off and returned to the K701 I'd always find myself saying exactly that . . . . "Wow!"
k701smile.gif

and Congrats on the amp . . . enjoy
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back