K701 thread
Aug 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #91 of 2,619
I've had mine for about a month, and they already kicked the HD580 out the door. In truth I never loved the 580 (well, until the zu cable arrived) and even though they're different animals, I found myself putting on the 701 80-90% of the time.

Mine have a black dragon single ended on them, and my word they really sing. Even if my amp is generally considered unacceptable (Millett with TREAD) I still love them.

Now it's Stax while the sun is up, and 701 once it sets.

Really an astonishing pair of headphones. I disliked them for a whole year, until I heard the pair I bought.

Is there any way to tell how old they are? Mine are at least third hand...

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #92 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there any way to tell how old they are? Mine are at least third hand...

Serial number maybe. But then again you never know. Your pair could have sat on a shelf for 2 years before being sold.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #93 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vextrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my K701s. I am currently burning them in but just had to have a sneak listen before they burned in completely. I was blown away at the sound. I just love them. Can't wait to see what the burn in will do for the sound

Vex,
Give them about 300 hours and you may be amazed at the transformation--the K701 should really open up! : )
PAB

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #94 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had mine for about a month, and they already kicked the HD580 out the door. In truth I never loved the 580 (well, until the zu cable arrived) and even though they're different animals, I found myself putting on the 701 80-90% of the time.

Mine have a black dragon single ended on them, and my word they really sing. Even if my amp is generally considered unacceptable (Millett with TREAD) I still love them.</snip>

Your "Millett with TREAD" also includes Diamond Buffers, according to your signature. Who the h*ck has led you to believe that combo is "generally considered unacceptable?" You'd have to pay ~>$500 for a commercial tube amp that sounds as good, IMHO. It will hold its own against many solid state amps, as well. The fact that it can make K701's "really sing" should tell you something. Many amps will fall flat trying to drive a K701.

Sorry, I get a little perturbed at Millett-bashing (whoever led you to believe it was "unacceptable").
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #95 of 2,619
I just ordered a pair of the K701s yesterday. Can't wait to get them, but I think waiting for them to burn in will be the tough part. Don't have an amp for them right now, so I'm hoping they will still sound pretty good. What amp would some of you more experienced owners recommend? My budget is probably under $300. I don't know much about this kind of stuff so thanks in advance.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #98 of 2,619
ukcatz12:

I have K701 paired with Little Dot MKV and they sound amazing. Every time I listen to them my heart fills with joy that I have them.

Consider Little Dot MKV. ~$350 shipped. It's a dual mono design btw. Try to find a similar amp at this price...

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #100 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcatz12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a pair of the K701s yesterday. Can't wait to get them, but I think waiting for them to burn in will be the tough part. Don't have an amp for them right now, so I'm hoping they will still sound pretty good. What amp would some of you more experienced owners recommend? My budget is probably under $300. I don't know much about this kind of stuff so thanks in advance.

The Shanling PH-100 at around 218 USD is an excellent match for the K701s.

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #101 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the ALO k701's for a bit under two weeks now, none of my other headphones have seen any headtime...at all!!

X2 . I have had my APuresound V3 recabled AKG K701 for almost 3 weeks and I have used my D2000 during that span 2 times .

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #103 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will hold its own against many solid state amps, as well. The fact that it can make K701's "really sing" should tell you something. Many amps will fall flat trying to drive a K701.

Duly noted. It's survived two years of upgrade-itis (save the brief consideration of a YJPS) and looks to be in position to survive many, many more. It's scaled well with every component upgrade so far, and I imagine it would only get better with a better power supply.

Please accept my apologies for continuing the cycle of abuse against an amp I dearly love. If you find one for sale, UKCatz, you'd do very well to pick it up. They go for about $150 on here, but they sound three times that good. The Millett MAX, from what I've read, sounds even better.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #104 of 2,619
For me, the K701 fared better with tube amps.

The RAL recabled K701 served me well for over a year. After some long range, critical a/b-ing between the K701 and the K501, however, I retained the K501 and have never looked back. : )

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #105 of 2,619
I'm currently using my K701's with a Darkvoice 332 amp and Diyeden SVDAC04 DAC, and it's sounding really bright and sibilant at times, at least compared to my HD650's. Would further burning it in lessen the brightness and sibilance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back