K701 thread
Jul 20, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #77 of 2,619
I bought mine too for 250. I'm liking K702 already... for lowering the prices on K701.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #78 of 2,619
Okay, something's happened, and I don't think I'm crazy yet. I've been breaking-in a pair of K701s along with a Little Dot Mk II for about 2 weeks now, and I have been getting slightly concerned. Over the intervening time I've been hearing that same upper midrange / lower treble 'glare', and that weird suckout between the midbass and the deep bass that the headphone had right out of the box. Now, mind you, the Little Dot improved things over my NAD C352, but some things just weren't right: a lack of cohesiveness in the sound of the 701s, and a fatiguing treble. I spent half of today reading about the Sennheiser HD 600, and concluded that I'd go for it as the 701 seemingly didn't 'agree' with me. Anyway, the K701 and LD were running today as usual; I listened, ho hum, and then I took a break for dinner. When I returned I listened again, and...shock...awe...this ain't the same 'phones!! Everything has come together! Where is the treble glare? Eh? What? Midbass too! This isn't possible, right? Maybe something clicked in my brain? Who knows? Whatever happened just managed to save me the purchase price of a HD 600.
o2smile.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #80 of 2,619
these cans are awesome... they scale sooo much with my gilmore...and aint half bad with the creek. on the other hadn the 650s sound flat with the cheaper creek 11 I have (mite have to do with the 300 ohms ).....

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #81 of 2,619
These can's are Great!
I've owned HD580s, RS-2s, 225s, KSC-35 and own speakers which have a simular sonic characteristics: totem arro and proac tablets

They are incredibly details quick and neutral. I can understand how people might think they are "thin" but it's just the fact that with a good amp, the bass has "grip" or control which just allows the can to excel.

Is it just me, or are these easier to drive than the older 501s and HD600?

I had a couple amps: Total Airhead, CMOY, Audio Alchemy and an amp: Luxman LV-103.

The luxman didn't cut it with the K501s but with these 701s they sound the best.

Source? Jolida JD100A

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #83 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me, or are these easier to drive than the older 501s and HD600?

No, it's not just you. That has been my experience, too.

With the right amp (e.g., Bada PH-12), the K501--IMHO--have the decided edge, though. : )

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #84 of 2,619
Hi all

I must admit I have posted another thread about this, but thought I might ask here as well.

Got some K701s coming today with the option of getting a Creek OBH-21SE amp thrown in at a good price (about £70). Will the amp suit the h/phones, and more importantly have enough oomph to power them? Anyone got this combo? I presumed for the price I cannot do much better, but if the combo will be total crap then I will save the cash for something better.

I've bought the phones for transparency/neutrality/reference, and therefore want the amp to enhance these qualities.

Cheers

Max

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #85 of 2,619
If you're looking for a clear reference pair of headphones, this is definitely the way to go. I'm pretty biased though, having only owned a pair of HD280 PROs before the K701s, but I still say these headphones are the clearest most detailed I have heard. You can also get them for around 300USD if you look around for a while.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #86 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by larry.said /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for a clear reference pair of headphones, this is definitely the way to go. I'm pretty biased though, having only owned a pair of HD280 PROs before the K701s, but I still say these headphones are the clearest most detailed I have heard. You can also get them for around 300USD if you look around for a while.

You can get them for as low as $260 new and $220 used if you really, really look hard.

I agree on the detail. While there are other phones that offer roughly equal detail, the soundstage adds a special element to the sound.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #87 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Dread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got some K701s coming today with the option of getting a Creek OBH-21SE amp thrown in at a good price (about £70). Will the amp suit the h/phones, and more importantly have enough oomph to power them?

The K701s aren't quite as power-hungry as the K501s. The Creek should be fine.

--Chris

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #88 of 2,619
Just got my K701s. I am currently burning them in but just had to have a sneak listen before they burned in completely. I was blown away at the sound. I just love them. Can't wait to see what the burn in will do for the sound

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #89 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vextrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my K701s. I am currently burning them in but just had to have a sneak listen before they burned in completely. I was blown away at the sound. I just love them. Can't wait to see what the burn in will do for the sound

x2. I'm in exactly the same boat. Right down to the sneak.

With the new low price, how could you not? Another poster said "2 weeks", so I'm just going to let them sit until Labor Day. I have them on my old pre-amp, a Hafler (grand old name, the brains behind Dynaco) which has HP out, using an FM tuner as the source. All I can pick up in that room is a rap station. Hope that works!

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #90 of 2,619
I've had the K701's for 6-8 months now and love them. Need some feedback from those of you who mention that you need the right amp to get the most out of them. I don't have a lot of experience with amps and my finest right now is the Pico used as a DAC. On the high gain setting out of macbook/lossless combo they are the best I've ever heard.

How does the Pico amp stack-up against others that make the 701's shine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back