K701 thread
Oct 21, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #2,522 of 2,619
Hi i have an akg k701 and sometimes the left side stops working, does anyone have advice to try to fix this it's becoming really annoying

Thank you in advance
An intermittent left channel dropout? I can only imagine how annoying...
Unfortunately the problem could be a number of things cable, connector or wiring related.
Impossible to say without testing and probably stripping the unit.

I imagine that if you had the skills you would already have done the above.
Failing that, I would either find a qualified repair agent or spring for a new pair...:confounded:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #2,523 of 2,619
Of course I understand that.

Just wanting to share my experience with driving the K701 from a balanced amplifier.
It really does open the headphone up and allows it to show what it can really do.
Of course one does not have to drive it balanced, decent SE is good too.

I fear that many people have not experienced this headphone in all it's glory.
Either due to not being patient enough to burn it in properly or not driving it with a suitable amp.
It is picky as we know and needs as much grunt as one can throw at it!
The 701 can be pretty demanding on the headphone amp. The 712 is a bit easier to drive.

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,524 of 2,619
An intermittent left channel dropout? I can only imagine how annoying...
Unfortunately the problem could be a number of things cable, connector or wiring related.
Impossible to say without testing and probably stripping the unit.

I imagine that if you had the skills you would already have done the above.
Failing that, I would either find a qualified repair agent or spring for a new pair...:confounded:
It happens a lot when i move my head and it fixes itself if i move it again, i like them a lot and that in only 5 months ( I bought them for 60 euros second hand but they were pretty much new) that i had them it's already failing like this it's pretty annoying, i had a pair of superlux 668b for years and they are still in good condition. Do you know if it's easy to repair it myself? I'm a bit scared to open the left side haha

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #2,525 of 2,619
It happens a lot when i move my head and it fixes itself if i move it again, i like them a lot and that in only 5 months ( I bought them for 60 euros second hand but they were pretty much new) that i had them it's already failing like this it's pretty annoying, i had a pair of superlux 668b for years and they are still in good condition. Do you know if it's easy to repair it myself? I'm a bit scared to open the left side haha
¡Buenas tardes!

Unless you have some experience with wiring repair I would not attempt it, unless you are willing to risk making it worse.
The wiring in the K701 is VERY fine and the headphone not easy to disassemble properly.

Definitely sounds like a loose connection, but not necessarily in the left ear cup.
If you value the headphone I would still recommend a professional repair.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #2,526 of 2,619
¡Buenas tardes!

Unless you have some experience with wiring repair I would not attempt it, unless you are willing to risk making it worse.
The wiring in the K701 is VERY fine and the headphone not easy to disassemble properly.

Definitely sounds like a loose connection, but not necessarily in the left ear cup.
If you value the headphone I would still recommend a professional repair.
Hey i got my K701 fixed thanks to a friend who is a handyman haha and I bought a new FiiO K3s dac/amp to drive them properly, what do you think?

Attachments

• SAVE_20211102_245527.jpg
    SAVE_20211102_245527.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 3, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #2,527 of 2,619
Hey i got my K701 fixed thanks to a friend who is a handyman haha and I bought a new FiiO K3s dac/amp to drive them properly, what do you think?
That's excellent news! Happy you managed to sort it out easily enough and no more interruptions.
Congrats on the new toy! You don't say what you were using previously though?

The Fiio will do a decent job of making them go quite loud for sure.
The K701 does scale up very nicely with better amplification though.
Maybe something to look forward to?
:relaxed:

Nov 4, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,528 of 2,619
That's excellent news! Happy you managed to sort it out easily enough and no more interruptions.
Congrats on the new toy! You don't say what you were using previously though?

The Fiio will do a decent job of making them go quite loud for sure.
The K701 does scale up very nicely with better amplification though.
Maybe something to look forward to?
:relaxed:
They were being driven with only my motherboard and I lot of times i didnt have enough volume even maxed at 100, i Saw this renewed version of FiiO k3 2021 with a new dac not super expensive and they looked good, here in Spain buying dac/amps can be a lot more expensive than other countries, my k701 sound really good on this FiiO, and dont even have to put high gain to have a lot of volume 🤙

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,530 of 2,619
Interesting pairing and results here. We’ve moved, and I’m trying to get a ‘quiet room’ framed and finished. A lot of my stuff is boxed up, but stuck among the boxes I’ve carved out a place to listen to some gear I’ve unboxed.

So HD650, LCD-3, and K701 are available, and recently acquired Quicksilver Amp. Put on the K701 three days ago and just keep listening. Light on the bottom (but realistic bass) as always, but no thin-ness through the whole rest of the range. Great timbre and touch through all the midrange instrument sounds, and vocals are alive with only natural sibilance. Top end has bell clarity and no added edge. The presentation of the perceived musical event (soundstage if you want) is more complete and alive than I recall with these. Front to back is terrific.

The QS “likes” these cans. It’s tight and controlled, not “tubey”, but still smooth and natural.

Files are 16/44 to Yggy. My K701 is Austrian, 7 bump headband, angled pads, for those who know more than I do about the different versions. :)

Feb 20, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #2,532 of 2,619
They sold to Harmon a long long time ago. Also the k701 has been made in China since forever? Though people report it sounds exactly the same. The thing is, if you buy used or off the shelf, you are still getting a unique sound signature. Probably when they made it they were shooting for a slightly flat response. The k701 has aged to such an extent that it’s looked at for it’s treble peak and midrange peak. The style of bass it does is unique I feel? It may not be a well rounder, if you had a big collection of headphones. Still if you only had a couple of headphones, I could see it used a lot. For the price you can get it for, it’s a deal still!

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #2,534 of 2,619
Is the AKG k701 still good despite AKG no longer being a private company?

AKG are sold to Harman long time ago!
Now Harman are sold to Samsung 2017!
AKG Vienna are closed! The ex AKG Vienna staff founded Austrian Audio!

Austrian Audio makes some new headphones self! https://austrian.audio/headphones/

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-completes-acquisition-of-harman

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/art...-closes-and-reforms-as-austrian-audio.862564/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back