K701 thread
Sep 16, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #2,506 of 2,619
I had the 701 for a long time and the headband just disintegrated but after many many years of steady use. I have since upgraded to the k712 pro. The 701s are a demanding headphone that requires a pretty healthy headphone amp. I used a Burson Ha-160 to good effect on them finding it to have a good balance to tame the tendency of the 701s to sound a bit bright on bright sounding headphone amps. A really great speaker amp that had an awesome headphone output was the Concept 16.5 vintage high powered receiver from the early 90s . It was a premium house brand receiver made for the long defunct pacific stereo chain . It put out 165 watts per channel and had a pretty awesome power supply with 2 large transformers. I upgraded the fuses in it to a hifi tuning supreme fuses. It had one fuse per channel. The fuses were rated at 7 amps a piece. That tweak made a huge difference in the receivers sound. It was much quieter and just much better sounding period than with the stock fuses. I compared it to yamahas top receiver and it was in another league. It was way better sounding than the yamaha from that period.
How do the K712 Pro's compare to the 701's ? - which is preference?

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,507 of 2,619
How do the K712 Pro's compare to the 701's ? - which is preference?
The 712s are an improvement they have a better low end and not as analytical sounding while retaining the strengths that the 701 possesses . But the 712s have a detachable headphone cable which was a limiting factor on the 701 you were stuck with the stock cable. I have a moon silver dragon cable with the furutech carbon fiber 1/4 plug on my AKG 712 S phones. That has made a very noticeable difference on the 712s sound.

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #2,508 of 2,619
The 712s are an improvement they have a better low end and not as analytical sounding while retaining the strengths that the 701 possesses . But the 712s have a detachable headphone cable which was a limiting factor on the 701 you were stuck with the stock cable. I have a moon silver dragon cable with the furutech carbon fiber 1/4 plug on my AKG 712 S phones. That has made a very noticeable difference on the 712s sound.
Thanks for the reply.

I've had my 701's a long time and I still enjoy them with good amplification!
However, they are very tired, the headband has lost all of it's clamp force and the pads are filthy and need replacing....

I'm curious about going to the K702 or the K712 Pro.

Unfortunately, I cannot demo any of this gear and have to read / watch reviews and make a calculated decision.

I've never tried swapping out cables, but have a Hart Audio cable on order for my HD660S....should arrive this coming week.
Having the option to swap out the stock cable is a nice feature!

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #2,509 of 2,619
Thanks for the reply.

I've had my 701's a long time and I still enjoy them with good amplification!
However, they are very tired, the headband has lost all of it's clamp force and the pads are filthy and need replacing....

I'm curious about going to the K702 or the K712 Pro.

Unfortunately, I cannot demo any of this gear and have to read / watch reviews and make a calculated decision.

I've never tried swapping out cables, but have a Hart Audio cable on order for my HD660S....should arrive this coming week.
Having the option to swap out the stock cable is a nice feature!
The moon silver dragon headphone cable was definitely a big step up from the stock cable. While not cheap it is not as esoterically priced as some of the premium headphone cables out there. You are right about the AKGs needing a pretty hefty amp to properly drive them. The silver dragon is more towards the analytical side which might not be the best choice to use with more analytical sounding headphone amps. I am using a couple of bursons and A rogue rh 5 headphone amp so the sound is probably a little warmer so compatibility is good. Moons has other cables that might be more suitable for analytical sounding amplifiers. I feel you can not go wrong with the 712s. But the ability to change the stock leash with the 702s is a nice option.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #2,510 of 2,619
The moon silver dragon headphone cable was definitely a big step up from the stock cable. While not cheap it is not as esoterically priced as some of the premium headphone cables out there. You are right about the AKGs needing a pretty hefty amp to properly drive them. The silver dragon is more towards the analytical side which might not be the best choice to use with more analytical sounding headphone amps. I am using a couple of bursons and A rogue rh 5 headphone amp so the sound is probably a little warmer so compatibility is good. Moons has other cables that might be more suitable for analytical sounding amplifiers. I feel you can not go wrong with the 712s. But the ability to change the stock leash with the 702s is a nice option.
The Moon Silver Dragon is not a cheap option......how did you change the Cable on the 701 as it's not a replaceable....??

I've decided to keep my 701's but have ordered the Dekoni Velour Replacement pads which should arrive sometime this week. I went with the Velour as Dekoni suggested this was the best option to keep the sound as close to the original as possible.

I've started using a "Hart Audio" cable on my HD660's - Quality product and going balanced with the 4 pin xlr termination is very nice :relaxed:

I'm dipping my toes into world of Planar Magnetics, and have ordered the Hifiman Sundara - really looking forward to these! They shipped yesterday, but will take awhile to reach me here in New Zealand......as Tom Petty said "the waiting is the hardest part"

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #2,511 of 2,619
The Moon Silver Dragon is not a cheap option......how did you change the Cable on the 701 as it's not a replaceable....??

I've decided to keep my 701's but have ordered the Dekoni Velour Replacement pads which should arrive sometime this week. I went with the Velour as Dekoni suggested this was the best option to keep the sound as close to the original as possible.

I've started using a "Hart Audio" cable on my HD660's - Quality product and going balanced with the 4 pin xlr termination is very nice :relaxed:

I'm dipping my toes into world of Planar Magnetics, and have ordered the Hifiman Sundara - really looking forward to these! They shipped yesterday, but will take awhile to reach me here in New Zealand......as Tom Petty said "the waiting is the hardest part"
I did not change the leash on my 701s when I had them. I was referring to the newer 702s the cable is replaceable on them. I replaced the cable on my AKG 712s pros.
The 701s were very good headphones but they just wore out from use. They were over 10 years old. The 712 are better in that they retain the qualities of the 701 but have better bass extension and are a bit more efficient and of course have a interchangeable cable. The interchangeable cable from moon is not cheap. The other options that moon offer are more reasonable. Compared to the nordost headphone cable offerings the moons are more affordable.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #2,512 of 2,619

In the same boat with Sundara. I love the k701, only recently bought it but as everyone knows, with certain genres there's no synchronicity. Listening to Thrift Shop by Macklemore they are really flat, like horribly so (just using that song as an example). I will continue to use the k701 tho, certain music they blow the socks off anything else I've heard. I've been looking at the Sundara for a long time, but each time I hold back as it's a step up in price to my usual preference. The last set I purchased around the same price was the HD650 many years ago and to be honest, the fact I had to then buy a £100 AMP just to play them was hard to take at the time lol. Back then I was new to the world of headphones tho, so have the equipment to properly drive cans now.

Oct 10, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #2,513 of 2,619
In the same boat with Sundara. I love the k701, only recently bought it but as everyone knows, with certain genres there's no synchronicity. Listening to Thrift Shop by Macklemore they are really flat, like horribly so (just using that song as an example). I will continue to use the k701 tho, certain music they blow the socks off anything else I've heard. I've been looking at the Sundara for a long time, but each time I hold back as it's a step up in price to my usual preference. The last set I purchased around the same price was the HD650 many years ago and to be honest, the fact I had to then buy a £100 AMP just to play them was hard to take at the time lol. Back then I was new to the world of headphones tho, so have the equipment to properly drive cans now.
Might I suggest something I did with my akg 701s when I had them. Change the plug. I upgraded mine to the Furutech 1/4 inch headphone plug. They make 2 plugs the regular brass plug is very good in its own right but the furutech carbon fiber 1/4 inch plug is even better. But it is more costly. I suggest at least go with the standard furutech brass plug. You will like what you hear I am sure.

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #2,514 of 2,619
k701 kicks arse!!!!! FACT

the design is awesome, and was the first thing which drew me to them (no, apple do NOT have white as a trademark or intellectual copyright, white is not a synonym for apple), i just knew I had to have them, and boy, was I glad I did. They are so beautiful to listen through, faithfully and accurately reproducing music the way it was intended to be heard, the way it was played a the time of recoding without any added colouration or warmth.

if neutrality and transparency are the end goals of headphones, then the k701 really does score very highly. The nuetrality and transparency of the k701 is beyond subjective impressions, it is asolutely clear for anyone to listen to should they wish to do so.

After listening to shure iem's and sennheiser hd650's and the kind of warm and thick treacle like heavy artificial sound they employ I am agog that the k701 doesn't get more plaudits.

thats not to say I dont want to own the hd650, I do, but for sheer reference listening then the 701, and certainly in the price bracket it is at, it has to be at the top of the heap.
If I might make a suggestion . If you want the 701s to perform even better try replacing the 1/4 inch headphone plug. I have k 712s now after wearing out a pair of k701s. Had them for ten years. The headband just plain wore out and disintegrated . So I replaced them with K712s. But am getting away from the suggestion I made . I upgraded the 1/4 inch plug on my k 701s with the furutech 1/4 inch furutech brass plug. Furutech makes two plugs the brass plug and if you want they offer a carbon fiber plug that is even better. The cabon fiber is a bit more expensive but I can tell tell you it is better. I have the carbon fiber on my AKG 712. But having had the brass plug on my K701s I can attest to a nice uptick in the performance of the K701s. The bass gets better and things sound a bit more resolved and generally better for the general sound. If you like the 701 now you will like them a lot better after you upgrade the plug to one of the furutech 1/4 inch headphone plugs.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2,515 of 2,619
If I might make a suggestion . If you want the 701s to perform even better try replacing the 1/4 inch headphone plug. I have k 712s now after wearing out a pair of k701s. Had them for ten years. The headband just plain wore out and disintegrated . So I replaced them with K712s. But am getting away from the suggestion I made . I upgraded the 1/4 inch plug on my k 701s with the furutech 1/4 inch furutech brass plug. Furutech makes two plugs the brass plug and if you want they offer a carbon fiber plug that is even better. The cabon fiber is a bit more expensive but I can tell tell you it is better. I have the carbon fiber on my AKG 712. But having had the brass plug on my K701s I can attest to a nice uptick in the performance of the K701s. The bass gets better and things sound a bit more resolved and generally better for the general sound. If you like the 701 now you will like them a lot better after you upgrade the plug to one of the furutech 1/4 inch headphone plugs.
This one?? I'm struggling a bit to understand how a $60+ jack can markedly improve my beloved K701?
What do you think might explain this?

products-CF-763.jpg

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #2,516 of 2,619
This one?? I'm struggling a bit to understand how a $60+ jack can markedly improve my beloved K701?

products-CF-763.jpg
I speak from experience. The plug in your picture is the one I have on my moon audio silver dragon headphone cable that I have on my K712s. The brass plug made a very audible improvement on my K701s. It is one that you can clearly hear. If the carbon fiber plug is a bit too costly use the brass furutech plug. Believe me you will not regret the purchase once you make the change you will love your 701s even more. Use silver solder for the termination that helps too. I had the work done on my AKG 701 by a tech so the work was done properly and with expertise. If you love your 701s upgrade the standard plug to one of the furutech plugs and you wil love your 701s even more. I know I did after I had the brass plug upgrade on mine. The furutech 704 stereo headphone plug is $21.99.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #2,517 of 2,619

products-CF-763.jpg

Mate, Ive bought a q701 quincy jones, with stock and a 120€ custom cans cable.
Can't hear any difference between them.

Try to find another solution than magic plugs or cables 😉

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #2,518 of 2,619
I speak from experience. The plug in your picture is the one I have on my moon audio silver dragon headphone cable that I have on my K712s. The brass plug made a very audible improvement on my K701s. It is one that you can clearly hear. If the carbon fiber plug is a bit too costly use the brass furutech plug. Believe me you will not regret the purchase once you make the change you will love your 701s even more. Use silver solder for the termination that helps too. I had the work done on my AKG 701 by a tech so the work was done properly and with expertise. If you love your 701s upgrade the standard plug to one of the furutech plugs and you wil love your 701s even more. I know I did after I had the brass plug upgrade on mine. The furutech 704 stereo headphone plug is $21.99.
Thanks for the feedback!

The point is moot because I simply terminated the stock cable on my K701 with a decent Neutrik 4 pin XLR and never looked back.
The difference between single ended and balanced, in my system and to my ears, is huge.
I'm using a Cayin iHA-6 to drive them, mostly.

The connector cost me about $5 and maybe 20 minutes of my time.
Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #2,519 of 2,619
Thanks for the feedback!

The point is moot because I simply terminated the stock cable on my K701 with a decent Neutrik 4 pin XLR and never looked back.
The difference between single ended and balanced, in my system and to my ears, is huge.
I'm using a Cayin iHA-6 to drive them, mostly.

The connector cost me about $5 and maybe 20 minutes of my time.
Highly recommended!
Not everyone has a balanced input on their headphone amplifier. I was just suggesting it for single ended use with conventional 1/4 inch jacks.

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #2,520 of 2,619
Not everyone has a balanced input on their headphone amplifier. I was just suggesting it for single ended use with conventional 1/4 inch jacks.
Of course I understand that.

Just wanting to share my experience with driving the K701 from a balanced amplifier.
It really does open the headphone up and allows it to show what it can really do.
Of course one does not have to drive it balanced, decent SE is good too.

I fear that many people have not experienced this headphone in all it's glory.
Either due to not being patient enough to burn it in properly or not driving it with a suitable amp.
It is picky as we know and needs as much grunt as one can throw at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back