K701 thread
Sep 23, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #2,491 of 2,619
Only positive observations? I can't believe there are no inferior sound changes after the bass mod. ..........

The AKG drivers are fairly robust but if one listens to prodigious amounts of deep heavy bass the driver without the damper in place may run into trouble prematurely producing unwanted distortion.
Listening to Bill Laswell's "Divination-Ambient Dub Vol II" I had to pull back the volume a bit...other than that I feel IMHO the removal of the damper is a worthy mod.

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #2,492 of 2,619
Dimensions and material (to the touch) are the same. Maybe the inner shape could be different, but I can't say it for sure, because my white pads are a little worn.
After some pads swapping tests (on K701 hp's), I am sure, there are changes in sound. And bigger, than I thought.
K702 pads provide clearer bass and top-end sparkle. Also more forwarding mids and heighs. Soundstage is somehow 3D. Overall, they sound exciting.
K701 pads are, on the other hand, focused on smoother and better balanced mids and heighs. Soundstage is more readable and straight. Pleasant sound.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,493 of 2,619
After some pads swapping tests (on K701 hp's), I am sure, there are changes in sound. And bigger, than I thought.
K702 pads provide clearer bass and top-end sparkle. Also more forwarding mids and heighs. Soundstage is somehow 3D. Overall, they sound exciting.
K701 pads are, on the other hand, focused on smoother and better balanced mids and heighs. Soundstage is more readable and straight. Pleasant sound.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your findings, which are pretty much aligned with my observations and measurements.
I think a 'superior' set of pads for K7-series should allow K701 mids and treble linearity along with K702's bass presentation and soundstage shape.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,495 of 2,619
I have had K702s for some years, but I never heard K701s. Do they really sound different? If I recall, they measured about the same.

Measurements never tell you the whole story…. think of the varying timbres between similar musical instruments…they may all play the same note, frequencies at identical loudness but few have problem differentiating between an oboe and the flute…or even between a silver or gold flute.... maybe not quite as extreme with headphones …but there have even been reported variances between different runs of the same headphone.

With regards to pads with the K7 series they IMHO make all the differences in the world…swapping the pads between my K701s and K712s basically also swapped their fundamental characteristics.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #2,496 of 2,619
If you still looking for amp for K701, try Arcam rHEAD.
Soundwise it provides full bodied bass and mids, very pleasant treble and compact soundstage ... reviews are true.

Maybe I might want some warmness into mids. But for such a low price?

EDIT: It's also true, that treble are rolled-off. And with less details, stronger sibilances may appear somewhere.

EDIT2: It will be better to describe all my amps I have/had - and how they do with K701. My source is ASUS Xonar STX II with 3x muses01.

--- I found, that K701 need powerfull amp to shine. On weak amps (like Xonar STX II jack) they sound different .... flabby sub-bass, weak bass and heighs, boring mids, bad stage and instrument seperation. To reach 120 dB, K701 require - 510 mW - 91 mA - 5.62V rms ---

1. Fiio E12 Mont Blanc (gain ON): Very detailed sound, especially treble. Less sub-bass, neutral mids, pleasant treble. Quite a deep and 3d, but not extra wide soundstage. Overall forward, dynamic and engaging music experience. Like it for most music. With Bass boost ON, K701 become my choice for EDM or metal.

2. Liitle Dot mkII: I've got the best performance from K701 with switches on highest gain. LD is really good stuff and with certain tubes, it delivers audiophile sound. My favourite tubes are:
- Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV - balanced sound with great mids
- Mullard M8100 - strong bass and full mids. Heighs are brighter.
- GE JAN5654W - similar to E12 MB. Not as detailed, but warmer.
- Mullard EF95 - laidback, not as detailed sound as previous
- Mullard EF92 - flat and wide soundstage and great seperation. Balaced and detailed

3. Arcam rHEAD: Amplifier with "crossfeed" implanted. Sound has weight on lower frequencies. Bass and lower mids are great. Vocals are detailed and neutral-maybe too much. Heighs are darker and rolled-off from lower treble. They haven't much energy, only small amount of shimmering. Due to that, Arcam suffers from the top-end details, some sibilances and small - tunnel like - soundstage. However separation is good. I would say, good amp for non-critical listenning. Don't know if I keep it.

4. Shiit Magni 3: Description is similar to E12 MB (except that bass switch). Forward, just more engaging sound with more prominent sweeter treble. Sibilance can appear. Soundstage is similar too. Tested it for couple of days and returned it as not so suitable for K701.

5. Yamaha AX-397 speaker amp (direct-amp ON): Powerfull amplification for K701 with good detail. Strong bass, warmer mids, bright heighs. Compact soundstage with great separation. Due to forward treble I use it occasionally for instrumentals.

My everydays pairing for K701 is Fiio E12 MB. I can easily forget the real world and dive into the music. And that Bass boost switch makes me always happy. Its like K712 on steroids :xf_eek:)
But if I need to feel the vocals or guitars, I'm going after Voshkod.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #2,497 of 2,619
On my cleaned audio grid (without too much EMI or RFI interference),out of the Sansui AU 7700, the K 701 shines....I recently discard them in favor of the more natural K 340,but with progress in my cleaning method the K 701 comes back with more musicality and coherent soundstage different but on par with the K 340,big surprise for me...For the price paid this AKG was the deal in headphone ...I am an AKG man I think now, they are the only headphones I listen to now...:ksc75smile:

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,498 of 2,619
Soundwise it provides full bodied bass and mids, very pleasant treble and compact soundstage ... reviews are true.

EDIT: It's also true, that treble are rolled-off. And with less details, stronger sibilances may appear somewhere.

EDIT2: It will be better to describe all my amps I have/had - and how they do with K701. My source is ASUS Xonar STX II with 3x muses01.

--- I found, that K701 need powerfull amp to shine. On weak amps (like Xonar STX II jack) they sound different .... flabby sub-bass, weak bass and heighs, boring mids, bad stage and instrument seperation. To reach 120 dB, K701 require - 510 mW - 91 mA - 5.62V rms ---

1. Fiio E12 Mont Blanc (gain ON): Very detailed sound, especially treble. Less sub-bass, neutral mids, pleasant treble. Quite a deep and 3d, but not extra wide soundstage. Overall forward, dynamic and engaging music experience. Like it for most music. With Bass boost ON, K701 become my choice for EDM or metal.

2. Liitle Dot mkII: I've got the best performance from K701 with switches on highest gain. LD is really good stuff and with certain tubes, it delivers audiophile sound. My favourite tubes are:
- Mullard EF92 - flat and wide soundstage and great seperation. Balaced and detailed

3. Arcam rHEAD: Amplifier with "crossfeed" implanted. Sound has weight on lower frequencies. Bass and lower mids are great. Vocals are detailed and neutral-maybe too much. Heighs are darker and rolled-off from lower treble. They haven't much energy, only small amount of shimmering. Due to that, Arcam suffers from the top-end details, some sibilances and small - tunnel like - soundstage. However separation is good. I would say, good amp for non-critical listenning. Don't know if I keep it.

4. Shiit Magni 3: Description is similar to E12 MB (except that bass switch). Forward, just more engaging sound with more prominent sweeter treble. Sibilance can appear. Soundstage is similar too. Tested it for couple of days and returned it as not so suitable for K701.

5. Yamaha AX-397 speaker amp (direct-amp ON): Powerfull amplification for K701 with good detail. Strong bass, warmer mids, bright heighs. Compact soundstage with great separation. Due to forward treble I use it occasionally for instrumentals.

My everydays pairing for K701 is Fiio E12 MB. I can easily forget the real world and dive into the music. And that Bass boost switch makes me always happy. Its like K712 on steroids :xf_eek:)

I think you are right the K 701 need a good amplifier like any good headphone to sound toward their top level potential...With the sansui all is right, the bass of the 701 is like with my Mission speakers , but cleaning the audio grid and the electrical grid is like upgrading your amplifier...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #2,499 of 2,619
I think you are right the K 701 need a good amplifier like any good headphone to sound toward their top level potential...With the sansui all is right, the bass of the 701 is like with my Mission speakers , but cleaning the audio grid and the electrical grid is like upgrading your amplifier...
Hydrogen Peroxide in the ears is another way to increase sound potential. The human audio grid.

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,500 of 2,619
is it fake k701?
10328123_thumb.png

Attachments

• ;lkjhgf.png
    ;lkjhgf.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #2,502 of 2,619
Do you know something, I got these cheap on the Amazon 30% off offer on Warehouse items. They're near new. I've plenty other akg products which I lovr, but the whole, "no bass" thing put me off the k701/702 for years. I'm so glad I bought them. Properly AMPd they sound great. Yeah, on certain songs they don't do the thick powerful bass justice, but it's far from lacking. I much prefer them over the Hifiman 400s enough also lacks thumping bass and even like it more than the hd650

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #2,503 of 2,619
Do you know something, I got these cheap on the Amazon 30% off offer on Warehouse items. They're near new. I've plenty other akg products which I lovr, but the whole, "no bass" thing put me off the k701/702 for years. I'm so glad I bought them. Properly AMPd they sound great. Yeah, on certain songs they don't do the thick powerful bass justice, but it's far from lacking. I much prefer them over the Hifiman 400s enough also lacks thumping bass and even like it more than the hd650
The general concensus is that they need to be EQ'd to something that resembles a harman curve to be at their best. I bought a pair when they came out and with EQ in the bass end, I still like them today. I'd say they have the best imaging in a dynamic headphone in their price range, though of course, I haven't heard them all.

I suspect that these headphones where tuned for live classical recordings. They sound amazing for that.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #2,504 of 2,619
The 701 is / was the first expensive (for me) Headphone I bought.....2nd hand, Circa 2007??

I still use it regularly alongside the HD 660S.

The pads are old, dirty and do not retain their shape as well as they should. I'm looking to swap out the pads and I'm curious to know if I can just buy straight replacements, or maybe look at something from Dekoni as an alternative?

Anyone using Dekoni Pads on their 701's, if so, which model and how would you describe the SQ compared to the original Pad?

Cheers.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #2,505 of 2,619

I had the 701 for a long time and the headband just disintegrated but after many many years of steady use. I have since upgraded to the k712 pro. The 701s are a demanding headphone that requires a pretty healthy headphone amp. I used a Burson Ha-160 to good effect on them finding it to have a good balance to tame the tendency of the 701s to sound a bit bright on bright sounding headphone amps. A really great speaker amp that had an awesome headphone output was the Concept 16.5 vintage high powered receiver from the early 90s . It was a premium house brand receiver made for the long defunct pacific stereo chain . It put out 165 watts per channel and had a pretty awesome power supply with 2 large transformers. I upgraded the fuses in it to a hifi tuning supreme fuses. It had one fuse per channel. The fuses were rated at 7 amps a piece. That tweak made a huge difference in the receivers sound. It was much quieter and just much better sounding period than with the stock fuses. I compared it to yamahas top receiver and it was in another league. It was way better sounding than the yamaha from that period.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back