K701 at 500 hrs
May 30, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #91 of 121
i've been interested in this phone for a while, could it be that different headphones that were in different production runs mature at different rates? has there been any revisions of the K701? i duno, just curious about the varied responses

May 30, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #94 of 121
He was chastized for ridiculing this thread for which he apologized. He felt it
was a stab at humor. I appreciate this forum far more for information than
stabs at humor, successful or not

May 30, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #95 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
These threads saying they get more bottom end worry. I know I sound weird, but I'd rather my K701s stay put in terms of how much low end they have, and I kind of think they could stand to lose some down there. Yeah, I know...I'm weird.

I'm totally with you here, and I love bass.
Right out of the box I despaired of the scarcity of bass, and suspected that these phones would be bouncing into the 'FS' column very quickly. The bass has continually developed until I now want them to stop! They're perfect where they are.

Sometimes it's fun to have a pair of headphones vibrating the skin around your ear, but it's not so good for your hearing...

May 30, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #96 of 121
All I'm saying is that part of the information we share here has to do with the tension between subjective experience and technical data, and that in those realms where subjective experience completely departs from measurable data, humorous rebuttal can be a good antidote to pious belief, neither of which can claim a very close relationship to flat truth, but one of which does make that claim.

Burn-in, recabling, and the like are an outer fringe of audiophilia, one where our subjective evaluation cannot help but be influenced by effort and desire: we've spent money, read good reviews, and at once both want to hear a difference and are afraid not to hear one. Even those who accept that burn-in really happens and creates noticeable differences (of whom I am one) should admit that much of what is said-- not everything, but much-- about 500 or 1000 hour changes is absurd, and worse, an absurdity masquerading as "information", advice for the inexperienced and unsuspecting who are merely trying to learn what might be out there for them.

Humor has a function in discourse: it dissolves things. Criticism and cautious disagreement are a weak response to a mystical faith in sudden changes in the performance of electronic equipment with a thousand hours of logged use. Did PMS go so far as to depart from good taste and become offensive? Some of you seem to think so, but even so that would hardly be a rare occurence on head-fi. The key thing is he was kidding, making a point but not being serious about it, while the people who attacked him were generally not kidding, even when they tried to joke. And all because they felt insulted that someone was making fun of them for being (over?)excited about the burn-in of their headphones.

edit-- okay maybe the ballsack thing was a bit much

May 30, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #97 of 121
sorry, he tried to take the entire thread off topic with sophomoric humor. he
seems to have seen a better way to converse. yes, humor is a nice relief.
that was far from humor

May 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #98 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
sorry, he tried to take the entire thread off topic with sophomoric humor. he
seems to have seen a better way to converse. yes, humor is a nice relief.
that was far from humor

What's humorous is subjective, along with blossoming K701s.

May 30, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #99 of 121
Well, burn-in or not, one thing I do think exists with headphones is simply the effects of psychological acclimation to a headphone, which I've generally found results in a greater degree of appreciation for the sound. Fortunately, phenomenal character at a basic level doesn't distinguish between these psychological changes and physical changes in the headphone, so either can probably be taken as a felicitous development...even if one phenomenon is classically (and pejoratively) referred to as placebo. That said, I'm not encouraging people to equivocate placebotic effects with physical or metaphysical effects of various pieces of equipment in order to claim practically anything out there has 'real' effects on audio. I'm just saying that it is perhaps fortunate that we've a variety of accessible means to enjoying our music more.

May 30, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #103 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
What's humorous is subjective, along with blossoming K701s.

Hahahaha. I literally laughed out loud over this - second time in my Head-Fi history.

Why can't we just set up a Pepsi Challenge? Blind testing between a headphone that has been burnt in for 4021 hours and 47 minutes and a brand new one?

In all seriousness, wouldn't this settle the arguement?

May 30, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #104 of 121
*reads first few posts in the topic and nothing else*

My K701's sure didn't sound like any wimpy KSC75 when I first got them. They sounded fantastic from the first second, and they didn't think they sounded any different 100 hours later. I returned them because the lousy build quality had the right earcup squeaking and clicking in a week, but I don't believe in the burn-in thing.

*runs*

May 30, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #105 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyOne
*reads first few posts in the topic and nothing else*

My K701's sure didn't sound like any wimpy KSC75 when I first got them. They sounded fantastic from the first second, and they didn't think they sounded any different 100 hours later. I returned them because the lousy build quality had the right earcup squeaking and clicking in a week, but I don't believe in the burn-in thing.

*runs*

If you continue in high end audio, you will. believe in burn in (assuming you're not the denial type).

Little WD-40 takes care of those squeaks that all headphones have
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back