K701 at 500 hrs
May 30, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #106 of 121
I suspect that if you love the sound signature of the K701 continued listening
coupled with 300-500 hrs of play will only make that love grow. If you are not
a fan of this sound, burn in then becomes frivilous.

May 31, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #108 of 121
I predict that the next thread concerning K701 burn-in will claim that the ultimate turning point is 1000 hours.
icon10.gif

Edit: I'm only half joking.

May 31, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #111 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
I suspect that if you love the sound signature of the K701 continued listening
coupled with 300-500 hrs of play will only make that love grow. If you are not
a fan of this sound, burn in then becomes frivilous.

Not in my case. When I first heard them congested and with no bass, I thought they better improve or these puppies are going back.

May 31, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #112 of 121
OK, I haven't read the whole thread but just wanted to drop my piece of salt. I liked my K 701 from the first second I got them and I can tell the 300 hours burn-in did make a difference but I won't say they came for KSC-75 level to Orpheus level during this period. I mean, the differences are noticeable but they don't change the sound signature of the headphone; I can say that in mine, soundstage increased, bass tightened up and clarity improved. But all of this qualities were present from the first listen, burn-in just improved them. So, maybe someone who doen's likes some of this qualities will not like the K 701 from the moment they first hear them and won't tell you they get better with burn-in because those qualities which were already present just increased; maybe they noticed a difference but won't tell you they changed because, for them, they didn't improved for the fact that the qualities they like about sound didn't appeared or improved. Am I making a point here?

PD: The sound is also really dependant from the amp and source, IMHO, so that may also affect your impressions.

May 31, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #114 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyamaiata
OK, I haven't read the whole thread but just wanted to drop my piece of salt. I liked my K 701 from the first second I got them and I can tell the 300 hours burn-in did make a difference but I won't say they came for KSC-75 level to Orpheus level during this period. I mean, the differences are noticeable but they don't change the sound signature of the headphone; I can say that in mine, soundstage increased, bass tightened up and clarity improved. But all of this qualities were present from the first listen, burn-in just improved them. So, maybe someone who doen's likes some of this qualities will not like the K 701 from the moment they first hear them and won't tell you they get better with burn-in because those qualities which were already present just increased; maybe they noticed a difference but won't tell you they changed because, for them, they didn't improved for the fact that the qualities they like about sound didn't appeared or improved. Am I making a point here?

PD: The sound is also really dependant from the amp and source, IMHO, so that may also affect your impressions.

This is true. The changes are not monumental, so if you don't like the AKG signature, then yeah you'll probably know from the start.

But I didn't like the sound from the start even though it had nothing to do with the signature - just that it didn't do anything for me until it started to open up. I wouldn't give up on any headphone until fully burnt in.

May 31, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #115 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I predict that the next thread concerning K701 burn-in will claim that the ultimate turning point is 1000 hours.
icon10.gif

Edit: I'm only half joking.

If you were to believe all those claims, then someone has previously quoted 1500 hours (if you search around).

May 31, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #116 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
If you were to believe all those claims, then someone has previously quoted 1500 hours (if you search around).

haha

I'd give any phone up to 500 hours after that, they get judged. If they improve after that that's nice, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, it would be like a year later before you could decide if you like it or not.

Jun 1, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #118 of 121
Quote:

I wonder where the original 300 hrs came from. Headroom says at least 100
my experience was closer to 450 to 500. after 500, no change

I think Headroom's is more of an "AT LEAST 100 hours" figure. I think I can concur, however, that the first real increase in bass occurs at around 125-150 hours, and that another occurs (for me) at almost 400. I break in with fairly bassy music continuously at a healthy volume.

The changes have been more incremental than monumental. I'm still waiting for the bass to become more concise, if it ever does.

Jun 1, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #119 of 121
I'd still like to see a blind test between zero hour and ridiculously burnt in headphone. I wonder if this could make a Psychology research probject topic
biggrin.gif

[Could be fun experiment if anything]

Jun 1, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #120 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice

Unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back