K701 at 500 hrs
May 30, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #76 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
I have K1000s to test it, do you?
rolleyes.gif

It drives them to listenable volumes.

Go look up my original quote.

Of this I have no doubt, I can turn the HD650 up so loud on the iPod it hurts my ears. Volume is not what suffers from im-proper amping (in most cases). It's the sound quality. The bass is all muddied up and has no impact, the midrange is nasal and dry, and the highs are very rolled off. Even using a mere PA2V2 instantly brings them to life.

May 30, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #77 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
I have K1000s to test it, do you?
rolleyes.gif

It drives them to listenable volumes.

Go look up my original quote.

Of this I have no doubt, I can turn the HD650 up so loud on the iPod it hurts my ears. Volume is not what suffers from im-proper amping (in most cases). It's the sound quality. The bass is all muddied up and has no impact, the midrange is nasal and dry, and the highs are very rolled off. Even using a mere PA2V2 instantly brings them to life.

May 30, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #78 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003

Then what are we arguing about?
I never claimed iPod drives the K1000s to audiophile levels(whatever that means)

May 30, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #79 of 121
I thought I recalled you saying it sounded just as good as it did out of your amp... Mabey not, I donno, it was a while ago.

May 30, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #81 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
having had my set at 500+ hrs and a friend's right out of the box, once again
I respectfully disagree that the difference is minimal.

You may be right.

I'm only around 200 so I'll have to get back to y'all on this.
wink.gif

May 30, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #82 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I thought I recalled you saying it sounded just as good as it did out of your amp... Mabey not, I donno, it was a while ago.

That would be the K701s
I've been praising the K701 + iPod combo for a while
Amazing combo, I've had a few people agree with me; Akwok most recently and his reference can is the Omega IIs
I've had many people disagree with me about this... but I still stand by my statements
K701 straight out of iPod is an amazing combo

K1000s, I said iPod can drive them to listenable levels
No mention was ever made on quality

May 30, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #83 of 121
Since when can 12 year olds afford $1000's of audiophile gear?

Everyone lay off my precious 701 they're as perfect as perfect get these days. And yes they take a lifetime and a half to burn-in. I doubt they will ever stop changing at this rate.

May 30, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #87 of 121
I'm at about 350 or so, but this post has given me some motivation to drop my K701 back in a drawer with iTunes on and let time do its magic. I'm already quite happy with these phones, and life would be perfect if (1) the bass were somewhat tighter and (2) I were to lose a bit of tizziness on some highs.

Thanks for the info. It will be great to hear how the headphone develops, even though (to some) it stays the same. But we just got over that argument....

May 30, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #88 of 121
the drop in the drawer for another 100-200 will be worth it. you could always use them and not just continue the burn in and enjoy them as they grow however. it is why we got them in the first place.

May 30, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #89 of 121
I also have noticed a major improvement 350+ hours after using the headphones. I can't tell you whether it's psychological or not since I've been using them while burning them in. I like its sound a lot.

May 30, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #90 of 121
it seems the 350-500 hr burn in consensus has grown. perhaps the 300 hr was
a bit short for those of us who believe. for others, no amount of hours or change will supplant what they hear. no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back