JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jan 29, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,726 of 1,936
That review was good enough for me
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thank you so much! I'll check Jokers review now :) 

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,727 of 1,936
Hi. This thread is 100+ pages. I'm not gonna be able to read through them all.

So, I ask someone who's been here for a while - 

Whats the general concensus on tips for the FXD80? Stock vs Comply vs Cheapo Memory Foam?

Personally I'm using the Soundmagic Double Flange tips on the FXD80. If someone has a pair just of soundmagic double flange, you should try it out on the JVC FXD/FRD80. It doesn't help the sound quality much, in fact, it even removes some bass rumble. But it seemingly improves the midrange and spaciousness. Plus its both comfortable and seals properly. With stock tips on my small ears, its comfortable and the seal keeps getting disrupted.

But I don't think that I'd call the Soundmagic Double Flange the "holy grail" of FXD80 tips. What has given you all good results?

Is it possible to use tips from maybe the EPH100 or the Audiotechnica CKN70? Those are nozzle mounted microdriver iems too.
I'm guessing any tip with a wide enough bore work.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #1,728 of 1,936
The FXD70's and 80's have weird size nozzles which is extra large. The EPH100 tips would probably fit, though I never tried them on the 80's when I owned them. I did manage to somehow fit some sony hybrid tips on them and they were by far my favor tips. You can give them a try if you have some hybrid tips. The stock tips weren't very good and complys muffled the sound for me.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,729 of 1,936
  [...]

Personally I'm using the Soundmagic Double Flange tips on the FXD80. If someone has a pair just of soundmagic double flange, you should try it out on the JVC FXD/FRD80. It doesn't help the sound quality much, in fact, it even removes some bass rumble. But it seemingly improves the midrange and spaciousness. Plus its both comfortable and seals properly. With stock tips on my small ears, its comfortable and the seal keeps getting disrupted.

[...]

Is it possible to use tips from maybe the EPH100 or the Audiotechnica CKN70? Those are nozzle mounted microdriver iems too.
I'm guessing any tip with a wide enough bore work.

Huh, interesting. Getting tips to fit is one of the trickier parts of the FXD... Nice to know the Soundmagics cut down on the bass a bit, could be worth a try... but I'm probably just going to sell off my FXDs anyway. If nobody chimes in by the time I get home tonight, I'll try fitting the EPH tips...

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,730 of 1,936
  Huh, interesting. Getting tips to fit is one of the trickier parts of the FXD... Nice to know the Soundmagics cut down on the bass a bit, could be worth a try... but I'm probably just going to sell off my FXDs anyway. If nobody chimes in by the time I get home tonight, I'll try fitting the EPH tips...

Did you burn it in?
I was gonna sell these off too. Then I burned these in. I still don't like the sound signature, but now I can hear some refinement. There is definitely some "Wow" factor that's now there. Its still bassy for my taste. Now I don't feel like letting these go. And the burn in definitely made a difference. Also, these iems have the least headache inducing sound I have ever tried. My bottom line verdict on these iems - Cheap, Not the best sound signature tuning, but refined, very well built for the price, great housing/cable for the price, borderline uncomfortable. These are definitely my backup pair. I'm also definitely getting either a better headphone or iem. The FRD80 will be a compliment to those.

But if you decide to sell it, I can see why.

Also, the soundmagic double flange cuts down the 'sub bass rumble'. So there may be a small decrease in bass, but there's also a small decrease in refinement. Again, I do not consider these tips good, they're just the most painless and comfort. Let me know what the verdict on the EPH tims is.  

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,731 of 1,936
  The FXD70's and 80's have weird size nozzles which is extra large. The EPH100 tips would probably fit, though I never tried them on the 80's when I owned them. I did manage to somehow fit some sony hybrid tips on them and they were by far my favor tips. You can give them a try if you have some hybrid tips. The stock tips weren't very good and complys muffled the sound for me.

How'd you get the hybrid tips to work?

Initially I tried them, they didn't fit. frd80 nozzles are just too large.
A bit more effort, I get the nozzle properly covered into the tip, the opening of the sony hybrid tip is too small. The driver's grill is literallly larger than the opening on the sony hybrid tip.
I found the comply half decent. Its just a complete absolute ripoff to buy comply tips. Too short a life.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,733 of 1,936
  […]
Let me know what the verdict on the EPH tims is.  

Okay, I figured I had to have tried this before, and now I've tried again, and remembered pretty quickly why this is a no-go… The EPH tips are far shallower than the FXD tips. The FXD has two ridges that could grab onto a set of tips — the actual FXD tips grab onto the further back ridge. By the time you get the EPH tip into the first ridge, the opening of the tip is flush with the nozzle. I guess it's doable, but this seemed like a bad idea to me (I'm sure it wouldn't be particularly comfortable, I'd have concerns over wax on the nozzle, &c.), so I never actually tried listening this way…

(EPH tip on upper, FXD tip on lower)

Edit: I don't know what that tip was, but it wasn't actually an EPH tip. My fault! The EPH tips fit pretty well up on the first ridge, but are a little bit loose, and have a tendency to want to end up on the back ridge, which doesn't work so well. I find them pretty uncomfortable with the EPH tips as well (and I find the EPHs comfortable, so… hm.).

As for my opinion of them… I'm not a huge burn-in believer, but I have put some time on them. I don't hate the sound, but I do prefer my RE-400s and 600s, and I have some peculiar desire to hold onto my EPHs as well. I had some general fit issues with the FXDs, and don't like the cable much. I just don't really need as many IEMs as I have, so they'll probably be on the out at some point. Who knows. There's no denying they're great bang-for-buck though.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,735 of 1,936
Take a thin needle and poke some hole on the white filter that's on the nozzle and hear all the glory of the fxd80 plus use the Sony hybrid tips:sunglasses:

Could you elaborate, why would you break part of the IEMs fundamental design xD Doesn't the filter help keep out dust/grime from the inside of the IEM?
I do need better tips though, the stock ones aren't super comfy but the sound is so good I don't mind.
Also kind of random, What is a CIEM?

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,737 of 1,936
hmm.....I wouldn't suggest poking holes in the filter. but hey, what do i know? also, im pretty sure that the driver diaphragm is directly behind that filter. wouldn't want to go poking holes in THAT now would we? or is that just another technique that enthusiast have developed along side 500+ hours of burn in..... I'm pretty sure JVC has engineers...

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,738 of 1,936
  hmm.....I wouldn't suggest poking holes in the filter. but hey, what do i know? also, im pretty sure that the driver diaphragm is directly behind that filter. wouldn't want to go poking holes in THAT now would we? or is that just another technique that enthusiast have developed along side 500+ hours of burn in..... I'm pretty sure JVC has engineers...

i wouldn't do that even though these are cheap i stay away from these irreversible mods

if they sound better great! but what if they sound worse. you can't even fix it! i would rather play with insertion depth, tips or other more reversible mods to be safe

i actually enjoy their sound (i don't think i can use them as my main iems) but as a pair to experience different sound signature sure! 

the vocals are still a little cold to me. i love the treble its bright! i dunno if its burn in or me getting use to it but its not as fatiguing anymore

going to my monster turbines which i preferred when i just got the jvc fxd80s (because the mids were warmer and more natural) , makes them sound dull because of the lack of treble emphasis and extension

i can't listen to a bassy iem without the fxd treble now !! 

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,739 of 1,936
such a shame it's not listed on Future Shop anymore I assume it's been sold out. I wasn't interested in getting a new IEM until recently and it seemed to have been in stock in Bridgeport store in Richmond but now the page is empty. I only recently lost a pair of headphones (I do have some others) and I was gonna go there over the weekend to buy them. I guess they were too good of a steal :frowning2:

London Drugs has the FXD60 for 30$ but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Update: I checked Bridgeport store today, they couldn't find it in the stocks so it's pretty much sold out and/or "discontinued" :frowning2:

But interestingly they still have FXT90 for sale for 99$ and it's not even listed online. I searched these up and it turns out in winter of 2012 they were on sale for 79$, so I might wait off that but I doubt it will be on sale again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back