JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,696 of 1,936

JVC HA-FXD80 as other IEMs as well, depend a lot on the source and amp that drives it.
Today I tested it with Fiio X3 + Fiio E12DIY with Muses02 Op-Amp and LME49600 buffer.
The tonal balance of FXD80 changed a lot, the mids now thick and full, and the treble a bit dark (darker than what I use to hear).  It changes from natural V shape tonal balance I use to hear with iPod, mobile phone, and Fiio X3 headphone output, into natural thick and full body midrange with rather dark treble... I was very surprised 
blink.gif

So, try with other player and amp, the tonal balance might changes a lot 
wink_face.gif

i definitely agree i tried running them straight off my iphone then i attached me fiio e6 amp to it

definately the amp makes a difference

small but i notice it but with the equipment i have and listening to this is probably it for me (use my macbook pro no dac, iphone 4, ipodtouch with fiioe6 amp)

even after the a/bing the mids are still recessed  the fiio e6 makes its darker more midbass and lower to middle mids so it helped a bit for male vocals gave it some authority and thickness but nothing major, i had to listen very closely to pick it out

if anything it lost some the treble (its a toss up whether this is good or bad, i actually found the fxd/r 80 a bit bright for me off the iphone so the fact the amp tones this down was nice ) but there was a loss of sparkle =( can't have it all i suppose

female vocals still sound relatively the same

but in terms of speed the fxd80 for the amount of bass is has its defintely faster than my monster turbines

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,697 of 1,936
Hmm, I really love the sparkle, kind of a shame if it gets mitigated by an amp. I play these straight off my Surface Pro/Lumia 920. Might get a Sansa Clip Zip (Sport? If that is a new model) and a Fiio X1 late this year. The clarity and treble makes me smile every day :) I do keep my XB60EX around for that warmer bass that does complement some tracks in ways the FXD 80s deconstructs.
I'm just thankful for you guys here for having a thread that ultimately led me to spend 77$ on one if the best audio purchases of my life!

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,699 of 1,936
unfortunately the tips on the jvc i find them okay at best i tried them with my gr07 purple eartips wow ( i had to do some modding to make sure the tips fit and don't slide because of the microdriver i'll post pics

they seal out soo well its like a suction when i take them off

but this leads to a bigger problem- because of the better seal- driver flex becomes even more of an issue before it was mild this time its a lot more 

i wonder if this has an effect on its longevity, i'm not sure if this has been asked already but the cable is very nice (especially under the y split) above it connecting to each housing is a bit thin for my tastes

the new seal helped with the mids a bit but still as clear as before but theres just no warmth i feel, that makes voices sound a bit unnatural and loses their richness and timbre and power in the voices. in a way it sounds cold or emotionless.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,700 of 1,936

the green/blue bit was cut out from a pair of large sony hybrids that don't fit me (was going to use step for both sides) but screwed up on the first one. 

but now the blue one marks the left side (like the little nub on the left strain relief) =) i'm happy

now it fits the length of most eartips  i would think

the stem i used was to prevent the eartip from sliding when inserting (because over tip the eartips would lose their elasticity and stretch causing the eartip to slip when applying force upon insertion

doing this was a pain in the but because you have to measure properly and getting the stem out is hard without completely destroying it 

i recommend this little mod for anyone that find the jvc's tips don't fit them (only comes with 3 tips) 

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,701 of 1,936
I just purchased a set of these recently, and I've gotta say, I'm not impressed.

They're not completely burned in yet, but they're at a ~15 hours of playing music.

I didn't particularly like the sound signature. Plus, the weird soundstage. Its relatively wide and 3d, but theres no good instrument separation, no layering. Not 'airy'. Its as if the 'airy', emptiness in the music (which is quite essential), has been replaced with bleeding bass.

So.

I have the box and all accessories. How much do you guys think I'll be able to sell it for?

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,702 of 1,936
  I just purchased a set of these recently, and I've gotta say, I'm not impressed.

They're not completely burned in yet, but they're at a ~15 hours of playing music.

I didn't particularly like the sound signature. Plus, the weird soundstage. Its relatively wide and 3d, but theres no good instrument separation, no layering. Not 'airy'. Its as if the 'airy', emptiness in the music (which is quite essential), has been replaced with bleeding bass.

So.

I have the box and all accessories. How much do you guys think I'll be able to sell it for?

id say burn em in if your not pleased atm some ppl said a 200 hrs, but i like them enough outside of box and was willing to take a chance on them, i like the treble if it was a bit toned down that would be pretty good imo

about the resell i don't think much to be perfectly honest

futureshop canada was begging to get rid of theses (the remote version anyway)

normally its $99 here then blk friday dropped it to 59.99 and i scooped it up during boxing day for 39.99

i already wanted to grab it at 59.99 but i'm happy saved myself the 20$ =) 

for 40$ these are so so hard to beat but i will continue to listen and burn it em a bit more to see if i like em anymore, (maybe the mids will warm up magically, but i doubt it )

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,703 of 1,936
I burned in my for 500hr and yes they keep getting better and better because the driver material is so stiff you'll need very high volume and spl the get the drivers at full potential level on work.use very bassy tracks and just let them play every night and listen to them and enjoy the changes you hear.:sunglasses:

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #1,704 of 1,936
any earphone requiring 3 months of burn in is an obvious pass on my journey to audio pleasure. if a 80 dollar driver needs 3 months of burn in, then do more advanced drivers or more expensive drivers require longer burn in? where is the guideline pertaining to burn in? by what standards or practices do you go by? your basically telling us: buy this earphone, if you dont like it, dont send it back but instead let it burn for months, voiding the return period, and then they will sound like a different earphone...possibly one that you'll like! your a silly billy there, mochill.

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,705 of 1,936
Yeah I sort of agree, I get that the CNT is tough, but to my ears anyways it sounded great from day 1, does sound a bit smoother now, and clearer, but I attribute that to brain burn in and figuring how best to insert and get a good seal.  Still loving these, really makes music listening more engaging for me on the basis of the sound alone, not only the content and composition of the song.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #1,707 of 1,936
i own two CNT earphones from JVC and i enjoy them both. The fxt90 has had plenty of burn in, and i dont think they changed all that much. mabey a little. the FXC51 however, did sound better after some burn.  im extremely tempted to try the fxd80, but im also hesitant as well. while i find the fxc51 to be a good phone with a nice signature, the fxt90 really took some time for me to get used to. the treble was just too forward sounding. and my fear with the fxd80 is that i will find that treble the same way. now im debating between the fxd80 and the eph-100. reviews suggest that the eph-100 are more easy in the treble area. could anyone here shine anymore light on the two?

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #1,708 of 1,936
are the fxd60/70 as pronounced in the treble? seeing as how i love the fxc51's so much, it would seem i would love a (basically) updated version in the fxd60/70/80..... any help is greatly appreciated.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #1,709 of 1,936
I recently bought these for a friend, but she is having trouble with the fit. The stock med. silicon tips start slipping out after a few minutes, and the small tips are too small. Any suggestions on what she should buy? 

I saw these referred (http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Medium-Eartips-earbuds-earphones/dp/B007BWCDYQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374765603&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+tips) in earlier posts. If that's the best option, should she go for the small or mediums?

Any other recommendations would be great! 

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #1,710 of 1,936
  I recently bought these for a friend, but she is having trouble with the fit. The stock med. silicon tips start slipping out after a few minutes, and the small tips are too small. Any suggestions on what she should buy? 

I saw these referred (http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Medium-Eartips-earbuds-earphones/dp/B007BWCDYQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374765603&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+tips) in earlier posts. If that's the best option, should she go for the small or mediums?

Any other recommendations would be great! 

After having tried an extensive array of tips, I ended up using FXD80 with memory foam. The ones in your link look pretty close to what I have.

As for the size, your call. I'd suggest the medium size given that the JVC small tips are too small for your friend. The large memory foam worked for me, although generally I go for medium when it comes to silicone tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back