JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Dec 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,666 of 1,936
  lemme know what tips you use! these have a really wide bore and i think finding aftermarket (wide bore nozzles) to be difficult.

do the stock ones have a narrow nozzle? or wide nozzle? 

cause obviously the width of the nozzle amongst other things can tweak the sound

Try some auvio tips from Radio Shack. I also manage to fit some sony hybrid tips on them. They were a struggle to get on, but I got the best SQ from the hybrids.  

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,669 of 1,936
So, future shop had a sale on the frd 80 and I bought them thinking they were the fxd (I didn't know there were different models until about 10 minutes ago). They still haven't shipped yet so I'm wondering, what sounds better? The fxd or frd?
Honestly, JVC shouldn't have named them so similarly. It hadn'teven come to my aattention that there could be 2 models. I saw Lachlans review of the fxd80 and pulled the trigger. Damn me.
PS I got them for 40 buccks.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,670 of 1,936
So, future shop had a sale on the frd 80 and I bought them thinking they were the fxd (I didn't know there were different models until about 10 minutes ago). They still haven't shipped yet so I'm wondering, what sounds better? The fxd or frd?
Honestly, JVC shouldn't have named them so similarly. It hadn'teven come to my aattention that there could be 2 models. I saw Lachlans review of the fxd80 and pulled the trigger. Damn me.

FRD80 has mic/smartphone controls, FXD80 has a standard cable.  They're otherwise identical.  Same driver, same frequency range, same impedance, same sensitivity.

If anyone feels like claiming different feel free to show me a frequency chart or I'm going to assume it's a result of sighted listening.

Completely out of line over the top claims of continuous improvement based on a belief in magic. Burn in prolly exists but come on....why wouldn't have jvc stated such lengthy phenomena required to enjoy their product fully?

Pfft.  You aren't meant to listen to headphones, you're meant to stare longingly at them from across the room while pink noise is run through them for three weeks straight.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #1,671 of 1,936

FRD80 has mic/smartphone controls, FXD80 has a standard cable.  They're otherwise identical.  Same driver, same frequency range, same impedance, same sensitivity.

If anyone feels like claiming different feel free to show me a frequency chart or I'm going to assume it's a result of sighted listening.

Pfft.  You aren't meant to listen to headphones, you're meant to stare longingly at them from across the room while pink noise is run through them for three weeks straight.

That eases my mind. I got them for $40 so I think I'll keep them. They should be here in a few days. Thanks.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,672 of 1,936

haha i bit the same deal but they are suppose to be the the same but some here noted that theres a slight difference in sound with the remote having a bit more more bass

mines shipped i'm waiting for them, this head fi thing is gettting irritating i bought way too much iems =( but i wonder how it would sound

hearing the mids are recessed makes me a bit scared i listened to the sol republic have sharp v shape with a huge dip in the mids, and after listening to it i was not pleased with how muffled the mids are. i certainly hope that thats not the same with fxr80. if thats the case i will return it. 

too bad futureshop does not allow me to open it, so i can't test it (canadian future shop policy)

even in jokers review he said the mids are a bit recessed but i'm imagining if its that severe he wouldn't give it a 8.7- 8.9 rating in sound

i'm okay with some male vocals sounding a bit recessed but a bit is is the farthest i would probably tolerate. i listen to mostly female vocals about (60 female : 40 male)

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #1,673 of 1,936
The bass of the fxd80 really opens up fter the 500hr mark and mids become more foward

that much burn in?! i haven not burned over 100 hrs before (solely burn in i mean) thats insane!! i am a fair believer in burn in but thats a lot of burning in.. = 20days...... thats way too long for me but the fact that you pitched that idea makes me want to try it.... ARGh!!!!!!

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,674 of 1,936
  haha i bit the same deal but they are suppose to be the the same but some here noted that theres a slight difference in sound with the remote having a bit more more bass

This is 100% Grade A bullsh*t.  

The only way the FRD and FXD could sound different is if the cord changed the impedance because otherwise they use the same driver and same housing.  According to the official specifications, it doesn't. 

It's much more likely the perceived difference doesn't exist (look up the term "sighted listening") or is due to mundane factors such as insertion depth, volume changes or even earwax buildup.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,675 of 1,936

This is 100% Grade A bullsh*t.  

The only way the FRD and FXD could sound different is if the cord changed the impedance because otherwise they use the same driver and same housing.  According to the official specifications, it doesn't. 

It's much more likely the perceived difference doesn't exist (look up the term "sighted listening") or is due to mundane factors such as insertion depth, volume changes or even earwax buildup.

Do you have both FRD80 and FXD80?  Have you used both over a long period of time?

I have FRD80 since December 2012, and 2 units of FXD80 for about 4-5 months.  Before I bought FXD80, FRD80 was my daily IEM for about 7 months... I use it daily, so I'm quite familiar with the sound.  After I bought FXD80, now it become my daily IEM, I have used it for more than 4 months now.
My FXD80 does sound a bit different than my FRD80.  I can tell which one is which blindly.  Not only me, I also ask my friend who is a sound engineer, he also can tell the difference.  The FRD80 is a bit (A BIT) more V shape compared to the FXD80.

But not only FXD80 sounds a little different than FRD80.  So far I've tested 4 units of FXD80, when my friends asked me to help them to buy it from Amazon, and let me tested it.  All the 4 units of FXD80 also have slight differences in sounds signature... manufacturing inconsistency ?  Maybe.  So maybe it is not about FRD and FXD, maybe it is just manufacturing of the drivers.  I test them together with my friend, and he also confirm that he heard differences between the FXD80s.  Anyway, there is no guarantee that same drivers all sound the same, there is manufacturing tolerance that makes them sounds a bit different.  I also experienced it with my UE TF10 compared to my brother UE TF10, a slight different that trained audiophile ears can detect.  The differences is just a little, but discernible.

I would say don't worry too much with the differences, it's just a little.  If you need microphone, get the FRD80.  If you don't need the microphone, get the FXD80.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,676 of 1,936

Do you have both FRD80 and FXD80?  Have you used both over a long period of time?

I have FRD80 since December 2012, and 2 units of FXD80 for about 4-5 months.  Before I bought FXD80, FRD80 was my daily IEM for about 7 months... I use it daily, so I'm quite familiar with the sound.  After I bought FXD80, now it become my daily IEM, I have used it for more than 4 months now.
My FXD80 does sound a bit different than my FRD80.  I can tell which one is which blindly.  Not only me, I also ask my friend who is a sound engineer, he also can tell the difference.  The FRD80 is a bit (A BIT) more V shape compared to the FXD80.

But not only FXD80 sounds a little different than FRD80.  So far I've tested 4 units of FXD80, when my friends asked me to help them to buy it from Amazon, and let me tested it.  All the 4 units of FXD80 also have slight differences in sounds signature... manufacturing inconsistency ?  Maybe.  So maybe it is not about FRD and FXD, maybe it is just manufacturing of the drivers.  I test them together with my friend, and he also confirm that he heard differences between the FXD80s.  Anyway, there is no guarantee that same drivers all sound the same, there is manufacturing tolerance that makes them sounds a bit different.  I also experienced it with my UE TF10 compared to my brother UE TF10, a slight different that trained audiophile ears can detect.  The differences is just a little, but discernible.

I would say don't worry too much with the differences, it's just a little.  If you need microphone, get the FRD80.  If you don't need the microphone, get the FXD80.

stupid question but i heard the cable of the fxd 80 is very good in the sense that it has a durable feel yet is still supple but at the same time low microphonics (cable noise)

does the fxr80 with the remote make it more microphonic? i would imagine so but figured id put it out there

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,678 of 1,936
  stupid question but i heard the cable of the fxd 80 is very good in the sense that it has a durable feel yet is still supple but at the same time low microphonics (cable noise)

does the fxr80 with the remote make it more microphonic? i would imagine so but figured id put it out there

Yes that's right.  The flexibility of the cable is very good, with little microphonics.  The cable is soft, and doesn't have the annoying memory / coiling effect.  But I still recommend to wear it over the ear.

FRD80 and FXD80 have same quality cable, and the remote doesn't add microphonics.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,679 of 1,936

Yes that's right.  The flexibility of the cable is very good, with little microphonics.  The cable is soft, and doesn't have the annoying memory / coiling effect.  But I still recommend to wear it over the ear.

FRD80 and FXD80 have same quality cable, and the remote doesn't add microphonics.

sweet

i'm still debating on whether or not to refund it or just open it, i snapped on the deal cause it was like 39.99 but here in canada you can't open it and try it (stupid new policy from best buy and future shop, think ppl were swapping fakes with real or their old ones for new ones)

i have 3 iems that are great already.  and only 1 pair of ears

oh btw how are the mids here? is there a big scoop in the mids? joker mentioned that male vocals sound a bit recessed but i hope theres not as deep notch as the sol republic tracks, which i honestly thought were soo recessed it was not even funny

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #1,680 of 1,936
  oh btw how are the mids here? is there a big scoop in the mids? joker mentioned that male vocals sound a bit recessed but i hope theres not as deep notch as the sol republic tracks, which i honestly thought were soo recessed it was not even funny

No no, not a deep notch... overall tonal balance is quite smooth bottom to top.  No annoying frequency irregularity.
Really depending on the recording and the source and amp, but I would say, it is the clear type of midrange or vocal.  For example, playing David Roth - More Pearls from Stockfisch Records, David voice sounds natural and clear... it is closer to reality, like you hear people speaking of singing in front of you.  Good clarity and natural, with no emphasize on the mids body that with some other iems would make the vocal sounds thicker, warmer and intimate, not that type.  Vocal sounds clear and natural to me, maybe a bit recessed compared to warmer sounding IEM.  

For example comparing to Yamaha EPH-100, EPH-100 is darker sounding, also smooth, and for vocal, I think many people like the way EPH-100 emphasize the mids, it sounds fuller, warmer, and more intimate.  With FXD80 you get more natural and clearer mids.  So it is depend on what you like.  Especially for Stockfisch recordings which I like, EPH-100 sounds warmer and nicer, softer treble.  While FXD80 sounds clearer with more sparkling treble, and also better bass, it extends lower than EPH-100.  

But for classical recordings, instrumental, Jazz like Jazz at the Pawnshop, it is hard to beat FXD80.  Spacious, Airy, full and extended bass, good clarity, pin point imaging.  No midrange issue with those kind of recording.

If you're familiar with Shure IEMs house sound, those 535 and lower (below 846 models), FXD80 is rather the opposite.  Most of the Shures are rather dominant on the midrange, FXD80 sounds more extended on the bass and treble, and in comparison to the Shures, the midrange might sounds recessed.  But not up to the extend that the recessed midrange sounds unnatural, but to the extend that the overall sounds signature sounds clearer, very good clarity, and very good bass.  Midrange, I would say clear and natural.

Pairing also important.  I recommend player or source that is a bit to the warmer or darker side of sound signature.  For example, Fiio X3 is a good match with FXD80, also good with iPod, while with Audioquest Dragonfly DAC for example, the clarity sometime can be a bit too emphasized for some recording.  Still good for classical and instrumental, but not for my Stockfisch collections.   Playing Stockfisch through Dragonfly, I prefer Yamaha EPH-100 (or my Sennheiser Amperior).

I hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back