JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jan 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,711 of 1,936
  I recently bought these for a friend, but she is having trouble with the fit. The stock med. silicon tips start slipping out after a few minutes, and the small tips are too small. Any suggestions on what she should buy? 

I saw these referred (http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Medium-Eartips-earbuds-earphones/dp/B007BWCDYQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374765603&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+tips) in earlier posts. If that's the best option, should she go for the small or mediums?

Any other recommendations would be great! 

i'm assuming you have the fxd80 , not sure if the other versions tips are different

your friend tried all the tips? even the large ones? 

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,712 of 1,936
They are the same tips as these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PR-Memory-Foam-Tips-Earbuds-Eartips-For-Most-in-ear-earphones-Sony-Mdr-as-40ex-/321040110591?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item4abf7b53ff

They are the best tips I've tried.
Comply foam tips are great as well but breaks down too fast and cost too much.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,713 of 1,936
I got them a week ago, and have been burning in at night and listening during the day. I love these. Such a great compliment to my warmer headphones. So much detail. Honestly, I wish I bout 2 at the price ($40cdn).
My brother said the sound is like it was coming through a tube. He didn't like them (he prefers his sony xb-30 I think they are), I'm sguessing a fit issue. Also, Rap/Hip-hop doesn't really work with these. Too much sibilance, even when playing straight off of a CD (the ENTIRE genre isn't very well recoreded I guess) For everything else I've heard, it's sooooo good.
I will try some other Rap/Hip-Hop albums in the furture but for now, I'm off to listen to some Hatsune Miku, which isn't -surprisingly- sibilant considering her sometimes cold, robotic voice.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,714 of 1,936
For me it fares really well for very fast paced rapping that focuses on lyrical content, the clarity helps enjoy the rapper's voice. Really nice when listening to some of my favorite Korean rap that samples Korean music and sounds so the treble is really fun!

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,715 of 1,936
  For me it fares really well for very fast paced rapping that focuses on lyrical content, the clarity helps enjoy the rapper's voice. Really nice when listening to some of my favorite Korean rap that samples Korean music and sounds so the treble is really fun!

i agree in some sense

its very fast for kpop and good to separate the raps from the actual bgm.

but for more vocal based songs i just cold feeling

their voices are not engaging, their clear but unnatural (a/bing them with my vsonic gr07 be, hifiman re400, showed me that)

even when listening with the turbines the i actually prefer the warm midrange on the turbines

love the highs though but i could here a drop in the extension right after the mid treble and a huge spike up. great extension (still a bit bright for even now) i wonder if i really burn them in it would fix that. i only burned them in for maybe 8-10 hours and listened to them maybe 5-6 hours since

but as it moves from the midrange to the treble as a whole it was a pretty steady climb. 

the bass is very very punchy (almost a bit too punchy for me) but it is very fast and scales pretty low too. not as tight as the gr07 or the re400s but very fun =) and more controlled than my monster turbines. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #1,716 of 1,936
So I tried some more Rap/Hip-Hop albums. Outkast's discography, Killer Mike's R.A.P Music, Gangstarr's Moment of truth and Kendrick Lamar's GKMC. Outkast sounds great, and El-P's quick hitting production on R.A.P Music sounds great. It's so fast and detailed. I don't have Moment of truth in good quality (torrented it while I look for a physical copy around my city) and it shows. The beat's on some of Kendrick's songs become very sibilant for me.
On a side note, I let my mom listen to some indian (hindi) music on these. She was amazed with them. Even she noticed the sound stage lol. That fact alone is amazing to me haha (gonna have to post this in the non audiophile reactions thread)
I will try out some more, but with rock, nu-metal and pop, these things rule. Jazz sounds great too.
If anyone cares, listen to a few Hatsune Miku songs (Vocaloid). Her voice can be sharp, but never fatiguing, and I love it.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,720 of 1,936
Which Hindi music might I ask:sunglasses:

Ah, I'm no good at hindi (don't speak it, not hindu lol) but here's my best attempt at spelling the movie name. Don't laugh haha
Dil Ka Kia Kasoor.

On a sort of related note, Radioactive by Imagine Dragons sounds awesome on these. I know the song is wicked overplayed by now but dang does it sound good on these.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,723 of 1,936
So futureshop has put these on again for 40 cdn. I wanted to pick another one up as a back up but unfortunately they can't seem to get any in stock. Currently sold out. I hate my luck. Daft punk is so good with these. I'd hate to lose an eartip and have the whole experience ruined. I NEED a back up (my justification to spend more money on these haha)

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,725 of 1,936
How would the HA-FXD80 fare against the Shure SE215? Would getting the FXD80 be an upgrade or downgrade? 

I never compared them side by side ( i own the fxd80). This is based on memory so forgive me. I felt the shure was really lacking in treble compare the jvcs. Made the shures seem really boring to me. But the mids from what i recall was much better in terms of thickness and naturalness. The jvcs mids are really clear, but recessed but vocals sound unnatural to me. Males especially. Female vocals were def more prominent but still sounded off a bit. Only really noticeable when a/bing tbh.

Bass i feel like the jvcs would reach lower. More rumble, with the shures being more punchy.

Jokers review would help u more, he tried both and reviewed both.

But the shures excell in smoothness for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back