JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Aug 28, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #421 of 3,142
If I could afford it, I'd buy a second set of these in a heartbeat! I come to
headphones from a fairly extreme DIY horn speaker/transmitting triode/vinyl
background. These are the first set of headphones I've owned (I have Senn
600s, RS-1s, and K-1000s) that I'm actually exited about. Over the years, I"ve built about 20 tube amps, including the big GM70 K-1000 amp pictured
in the "Mayberry on Acid" meet thread. But when I got the DX1000 I had to
build one more. My approach was to go all low gain directly heated triodes,
using a 112a gain stage directly coupled into a transformer loaded 71a power
amp. Not much gain,but not much needed. the DX1000 are very sensitive.
There"s a picture of this amp and its power supply "twin" on the HeadRoom
forum in the "HeadRoom in Los Angeles" thread. Sorry, I don't have a digital
camera, so no pictures of my own. I'll bring this amp and the DX1000 to the
2009 L.A. International. Be interested to see what you all think! Please excuse
my awkward typing and forum use.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #422 of 3,142
I received my DX-1000s today...just 5 days from order til delivery!

Now the fun begins...comparisons between the DX and D-5000!

First impressions...great soundstage. Nice imaging. Beautiful plug!

Worth the money??? YES.

Now I need to accumulate some hours of burn-in and spend some quality time listening!!!

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #424 of 3,142
So, which music do the DX1000 work with? Is it an allrounder or a headphone for some genres?

How is the isolation?

Is it hard to drive properly?

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #425 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, which music do the DX1000 work with? Is it an allrounder or a headphone for some genres?

To my ears, it's very much an all-rounder. If there's ambience in the material (as is the case in well-recorded movie soundtracks), the expansive soundstage gives you plenty of those out-of-head jolts.

Quote:

How is the isolation?

Good, not great, but good. Some 10 db, I'd say.

Quote:

Not terribly hard, but it is somewhat amp-sensitive. I hated the sound out of my HeadRoom Micro (2006 version). They are sensitive, as Frank noted above, but they do scale like monsters.

Cheers,

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #426 of 3,142
Originally Posted by Skylab
[...]It's funny how, after a while, just like Cecela, I too stopped worrying about the midrange, and let myself love it, which I now do so much I am thinking about getting another pair of JVC DX1000's just to put into the closet for safe keeping
smily_headphones1.gif
I really do think they are a truly amazing headphone, and absolutely world class.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, you've been reading my thoughts! I've thought about getting a second pair countless times. I'm afraid they may go extinct and I'll have to be even more careful than I already am in handling these babies. Wheeeew!
tongue.gif
These phones have turned me into a textbook case of audiophilia nervosa!

My wallet thanks you guys for planting the seed of yet another wallet-busting idea into my head -- I'm toying with getting a backup pair, too.

And I thought I was the only one...wondering what I would replace these puppies with, if something should "happen" to them....
eek.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #427 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very easy to drive, with my powerful full-size amps, anyway.

And I haven't yet found anything in my varied music library that these cans do NOT work with.
Definite all-arounder.

Uh-oh -- I guess I'm a "fanboy", too....

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #428 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have read on this forum and elsewhere I have seen a trend that says the W5000 phones are bass light so a quick comparison to the Dx1000 phones would be a slap in the face, so to speak. Let them do their magic and after a week go back and compare them to the W5000 and see what you have been missing out on(I predict a set of W5000 in the forum for sale).

Well, Cecala was right about my phones going on the For Sale forum. However, I will be selling the DX1000 -- not my beloved W5000!

While I now totally understand why many of you love the DX1000, their bass response is too much for me. I'm sure it's just a matter of taste, but I'll stick with my Audio Techica and STAX systems for now.

I'll be listing them on the For Sale forum right away for $100 less than what I paid for them from PriceJapan.com.

Happy listening!

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #429 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, Cecala was right about my phones going on the For Sale forum. However, I will be selling the DX1000 -- not my beloved W5000!

No problem, each to their own. As long as you have found your 'corner', all power to you. That's the beauty regarding headphones, many flavors for many tastes. I by no stretch of the imagination do I regard the DX1000 as perfect, although for now there is no substitute.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #430 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by Skylab
[...]It's funny how, after a while, just like Cecela, I too stopped worrying about the midrange, and let myself love it, which I now do so much I am thinking about getting another pair of JVC DX1000's just to put into the closet for safe keeping
smily_headphones1.gif
I really do think they are a truly amazing headphone, and absolutely world class.

My wallet thanks you guys for planting the seed of yet another wallet-busting idea into my head -- I'm toying with getting a backup pair, too.

And I thought I was the only one...wondering what I would replace these puppies with, if something should "happen" to them....
eek.gif

Silverrain, all of a sudden, I feel overtaken by this strange and comforting feeling of...sanity!
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #432 of 3,142
Very classy looking, flexible cable, about 9 feet long, terminated with the prettiest 1/4" phone plug that you ever saw! What type of cable?? Don't have a clue. Manufacturer?? No idea.

Sounds very good, regardless.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #433 of 3,142
Ok, i find that this cable is the same that uses the Denon D5000, according to the specifications that appears in audiocubes (although i am not sure...) about this headphone.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very classy looking, flexible cable, about 9 feet long, terminated with the prettiest 1/4" phone plug that you ever saw! What type of cable?? Don't have a clue. Manufacturer?? No idea.

Sounds very good, regardless.

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #434 of 3,142
Hi all:

I've just received these beautiful headphones
L3000.gif
, new ones with serial number No.0756.
I bought them directly in Japan because a person I know is eventually working there and the thing is that it took so long to for this person to receive them from the store, what made me think that maybe, there is not such much stock of these headphones at this moment.
I will use them for the whole weekend with the amps I own now, but I have to improve my amplification, so I will ask you for advice.

Cheers

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #435 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does look something like a DV 337, doesn't it? Could well be. Hard to say from the pic.

at first glance it looks like Darkvoice, but after some examination I can see the logo on the amp differs form darkvoice, so it must be something different IMO...I've emailed JVC through their Japanese website and will see if they can provide a name of the amp
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back