JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Aug 22, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #406 of 3,142
I just finished burning-in my new DX1000 and I own a Markl mod D5000 (same mods different materials) as well as a Markl mod D2000 (same mods different materials and 1 extra mod) APS V3 recabled and wood cups that I call WD2000 RL Edition.

I haven't had the time to do some serious listening to compare them all but my first quick impressions are this:

The DX1000 has a stronger and deeper bass in comparison that in some songs over power a little bit the rest of the sound.

The Soundstage in the DX1000 is a lot bigger than the Denons.

The midrange in the DX1000 seems sweeter and with more texture.

The high frequencies are better defined and cleaner in the Denons.

With the Mrkl mods the Denons are faster than the DX1000. All are excellent cans but I can see that it will depend on the kind of music for which would sound better. I would say for rock or Pop the Denons would be better but for Jazz and acoustic music probably the DX1000 will have the edge.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 22, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #407 of 3,142
Anyone know where to get drivers? I have called JVC hp research (Antonio, in NJ), but no return call.

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #408 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you can. There are four wires in the cable. if my soldering skills weren't so lousy I'd do it myself.

best,

o

Orkney, I take it you opened up the cable? Logic says that at least two wires go down from each cup to the Y-section, then either a common ground or a dedicated ground for each channel follows to the end connector. If you are correct though then this is good news for pro-balanced folk. Soldering is not difficult, although as they say- it's easy when one knows how. Why don't you simply practice until you are confident with your work and then go at it.

Aug 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #409 of 3,142
I've just caught up on this thread (reread almost all of it, actually, a long read at that) and am still curious about these headphones. I've only briefly heard them myself, way back when (jpelg's pair when the DX1000 first came out), but was quite impressed.

I'd love to spend some more time with them but don't know if the $824 that pricejapan.com charges is something I want to deal with! They're still on my short list along with the Edition 9, and perhaps getting markl to do his bestest mods on my D5000's. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much happening in the headphones world of late. I guess the D7000 will be interesting to check out, and there was the TakeT thingie not too long ago. Something else too, can't remember.

But I guess my point is that I haven't seen much new happening during the past couple of years, so that's probably why I'm cycling back to thinking about the DX1000.

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #410 of 3,142
Hmm... I've just found this picture of HP-DX1000 coupled with some headphone tube amplifier
ph_wood_housing_top.jpg

picture is from jvc japan website http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/accessor...d_housing.html

I'm wondering what model could it be? Picture is very small and shows only the top of the amp but maybe someone is able to recognize it...

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #411 of 3,142
In case people here missed it, one of our most experienced Head-Fi'ers and the OP in this thread, Skylab, made an impressive claim about the DX1000 in this High-End Forum thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/t...phones-353791/

Thought having these threads linked would be helpful to those interested in the DX1000.

While I'm at it, and since this thread has conveniently become DX1000 Central, might as well throw in a link to a thread of mine from about a year ago (if you'll forgive me for the self-reference), as it contains a number of valuable contributions on our beloved DX1000:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...ot-out-256086/

beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #412 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..... DX1000 Central........

I'm all for this thread name change, we could also name it Club DX1000 or Abode DX1000 or my favorite -Why I stopped worrying about midband coloration and love the DX1000.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #413 of 3,142
Well, my DX1000s got over the muddiness. And I was seduced by the unique sound, that midrange is so... strange. But lovely.
However: the bass... oh, too much. I could probably live with it on a lot of tracks, but it just made some things unlistenable. The Denon's bass is a tad deeper and a lot better defined. And generally, after extensive comparison, I did prefer the MD2000. The MD2000 midrange has its own beauty.
I'm rather hoping that the D7000 will take all the good points of the D2/5000 and mix them up with a bit of DX1000ness, and steal my heart.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #414 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I've just found this picture of HP-DX1000 coupled with some headphone tube amplifier
ph_wood_housing_top.jpg

picture is from jvc japan website ƒrƒNƒ^[ ƒwƒbƒhƒzƒ“ HP-DX1000 »•iî•ñ ƒEƒbƒhƒnƒEƒWƒ“ƒO

I'm wondering what model could it be? Picture is very small and shows only the top of the amp but maybe someone is able to recognize it...

any guesses what's the name/producer of this amp?

I'd be very grateful for your help...

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #415 of 3,142
Quote:

In case people here missed it, one of our most experienced Head-Fi'ers and the OP in this thread, Skylab, made an impressive claim about the DX1000 in this High-End Forum thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/t...phones-353791/

A claim that I whole-heartedly agree with. The DX1000, imo, is more reminiscent of the R10 signature than any Markl Denon I have heard. The JVC is also good enough that last time I listened to the R10, I was not shocked at how excellent it sounded. It is a phenomenal headphone, but the JVC is close (very close in a few instances) to producing a sound that is as refined as the Sony. Not to mention $1,000 > $6,000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why I stopped worrying about midband coloration and love the DX1000.

Amen brother
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any guesses what's the name/producer of this amp?

I'd be very grateful for your help...

The dual transformers are similar to that of the Darkvoice 337. That'd be my guess.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #416 of 3,142
It does look something like a DV 337, doesn't it? Could well be. Hard to say from the pic.

It's funny how, after a while, just like Cecela, I too stopped worrying about the midrange, and let myself love it, which I now do so much I am thinking about getting another pair of JVC DX1000's just to put into the closet for safe keeping
smily_headphones1.gif
I really do think they are a truly amazing headphone, and absolutely world class.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #417 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does look something like a DV 337, doesn't it? Could well be. Hard to say from the pic.

It's funny how, after a while, just like Cecela, I too stopped worrying about the midrange, and let myself love it, which I now do so much I am thinking about getting another pair of JVC DX1000's just to put into the closet for safe keeping
smily_headphones1.gif
I really do think they are a truly amazing headphone, and absolutely world class.

You're a great guy Rob, but I cannot help but be grateful that you did not see my pair when it was listed on Audiogon
tongue.gif

Honestly, I could see myself grabbing a backup pair as well, and maybe try out a recable. I want the midrange to stay preserved and the highs/treble to be brought out a little more. That is honestly my only complaint with the sound - the treble sounds terrific but it is too recessed. I started out as a Grado man, so I need more crash!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #418 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]It's funny how, after a while, just like Cecela, I too stopped worrying about the midrange, and let myself love it, which I now do so much I am thinking about getting another pair of JVC DX1000's just to put into the closet for safe keeping
smily_headphones1.gif

Man, you've been reading my thoughts! I've thought about getting a second pair countless times. I'm afraid they may go extinct and I'll have to be even more careful than I already am in handling these babies. Wheeeew!
tongue.gif
These phones have turned me into a textbook case of audiophilia nervosa!

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #419 of 3,142
Quote:

............ I'm afraid they may go extinct and I'll have to be even more careful than I already am in handling these babies. Wheeeew!
tongue.gif
These phones have turned me into a textbook case of audiophilia nervosa!

I know what you mean. If you saw how careful I am with these things and you weren't headphone inclined, you would call the nearest loony bin!!

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #420 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Orkney, I take it you opened up the cable? Logic says that at least two wires go down from each cup to the Y-section, then either a common ground or a dedicated ground for each channel follows to the end connector. If you are correct though then this is good news for pro-balanced folk. Soldering is not difficult, although as they say- it's easy when one knows how. Why don't you simply practice until you are confident with your work and then go at it.

Thanks very much for the tip -- I did have a look at the cable and it seems to have dedicated grounds for each channel. Unfortunately, as someone who can barely tie my shoes, I'm going to leave the reterminating job to someone else! But I'll report on what I hear, and am looking forward to trying these balanced in a big way.

best,

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back