JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Aug 15, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #376 of 3,142
...you catch the "joke" (... i thought that you disliked your DT990), hehehe.
Ok, and thank you for the link, i learn this time, the last that i need to known/learn about the 600 ohm Ed. Umm, ...darker than the DX1000?, uich.... Must be in the same level than the HD650, yuck, sorry....
Even the crystalizer in the max, couldn't to do nothing, even the minimum...
In other hand, i thought that the lower mids was already prominent enough in my DT990s....
In other hand, i can't bear a darker sound as that. The least that i could bear, should the DX1000 and AD2000 highs, which can be relieved enough with the Crystalizer and a higher Volume (as i like to listen my music.)
Thank you again for take the time and effort in your explanation, i appreciate the people's efforts....
Cheers
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough, Wilashort!
tongue.gif
You noticed that I avoided comparing the DT990-600 to the DX1000. No, they haven't turned into paperweights. They're very much in use actually. The reason why I haven't written on these phones lately is simply that I feel I need time, and a lot of words, to describe my (complex) experience with these phones, and time has been in short supply. In any case, I'll give you the breakneck-speed version here, hoping it will be of some use.

My impressions of the DT990, 600-ohm version, after about 120 hours of use, were volunteered in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dt9...n-pics-261628/

I still stand by what I wrote there. But, since then, I've become more aware of how strongly colored these phones are. These are dark-sounding phones – and I mean "dark" as in "dark, dark, dark"! None of the comments I read about them prior to placing the order with Beyer Manufaktur adequately prepared me for what I got. The difference between the 250-ohm and the 600-ohm version is very striking. But those who spoke well of the 600-ohm version were right in the main: Like them, I prefer it to the 250-ohm version. Whereas the 250's are characterized by a "peakiness" around 10 kHz (subjectively speaking), there's nothing at all like that in the sound of the 600's. Here, the emphasis is all on the lower mids. I'm talking about thick, gooey mids (if you'll pardon the metaphor). It's like cranking up the volume of the cellos in a symphonic recording! In my earlier post linked above, I described the mids as "lush" – quite a departure from the (good!) sound of the 250's – and I'm still inclined to apply the term to the 600's. It is a very seductive sound with the right kind of material. The 600's are the cure for harshness. If you're looking for dark-sounding phones that deserve to be called "full-range", you won't regret getting the 600's. I have no plan to let go of them. On the other hand, if you're looking for the last bit of sparkle in a recording, the 600's are not the phones for you. In my case, I wanted something that contrasted nicely with my other phones, and I got it. These phones are detailed; don't get me wrong. If there's ambience in the recording, you get ambience. Those cymbals sound nice, polite, but nice nonetheless. Now, if the recording is bright, they won't be faithful to it. They will tame the brightness. And that's not exactly what we call "hi-fi", is it? They do go low too. But, subjectively, not quite as low as either the DX1000 or the D5000. Still, they're so strong in the 40-50 Hz region – there's so much "bass weight" here – that you may think you're going as low as money can buy. It's good-quality bass, just not the very best.

So, are the DT990-600 top-tier phones? I can't say that they are. I'm happy I have them. With some material, they put up a nice fight with the HD650 for third place among my phones. (They are the most comfortable phones I have.) But they are too specialized to be called "top-tier". If you want a dark-sounding champ, the best anti-brightness phones that still deserve to be called "timbrally accurate", the DT990-600 will make you happy.

Cheers,

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #377 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.........Anyway, on first listen I am overwhelmed by the bass (my references are an ATH-W5000.....

From what I have read on this forum and elsewhere I have seen a trend that says the W5000 phones are bass light so a quick comparison to the Dx1000 phones would be a slap in the face, so to speak. Let them do their magic and after a week go back and compare them to the W5000 and see what you have been missing out on(I predict a set of W5000 in the forum for sale).

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #378 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have read on this forum and elsewhere I have seen a trend that says the W5000 phones are bass light so a quick comparison to the Dx1000 phones would be a slap in the face, so to speak. Let them do their magic and after a week go back and compare them to the W5000 and see what you have been missing out on(I predict a set of W5000 in the forum for sale).

You are right about the W5000 having a reputation of being bass light. However, their balance feels right to me and seems closest to the balance of my Stax SR-404, which to my ears, gets most things right (or at least pretty close).

Having spent more time with the DX1000, I am beginning to enjoy their take on music presentation. Time will tell how all of this will sort out, but the DX1000 and W5000 are VERY different animals. What they both share, however, is a wide and glorious soundstage.

It's great to have these choices of phones!
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #379 of 3,142
I only could hear these headphones in two meetings and they were the funniest cans I ever heard. After a long time thinking about it I decided to buy these headphones.
I understand they are very special, you can love them or hate them but I think that they have a special taste, quite different to beyers.
After receiving them, I'll be so glad to post you my long-time impressions.
Thanks anyway for this thread. I'm just thinking about the amp that would like me to use with these headphones. I will ask you for suggestions after a while hearing them with the amps I own now.
Cheers.
wink_face.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #381 of 3,142
I think those who 'get' the sound (like me) really don't want for more. I really have no desire to own any other pair of headphones at this point.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #382 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think those who 'get' the sound (like me) really don't want for more. I really have no desire to own any other pair of headphones at this point.

I think there is some truth to that. I also think that, as far as really high-end closed headphones that are still commercially available, they are without peer.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #384 of 3,142
Does anyone find that with the right placement around the ears and sufficiently low bass the JVCs seem to vibrate enough to slightly move by themselves?

Not a complaint at all, rather an observation on what bass depths these headphones plumb.

*Currently listening to 'Eye' By The Smashing Pumpkins. Mmmmmm... bassy*

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #385 of 3,142
Quote:

Does anyone find that with the right placement around the ears and sufficiently low bass the JVCs seem to vibrate enough to slightly move by themselves?

I also get the same effect with my deep-cup Darth Beyers.

And sometimes feel slight movement from both cans with certain kick-drum hits, too.
L3000.gif

Yum!

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #386 of 3,142
Quote:

Not a complaint at all, rather an observation on what bass depths these headphones plumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also get the same effect with my deep-cup Darth Beyers.
And sometimes feel slight movement from both cans with certain kick-drum hits, too.
L3000.gif

Yum!

No, not here, although my head being large as it is, account for a tight fit!!

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #387 of 3,142
Does anyone know the manufacturer and part # for the drivers? certainly someone has looked?

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #389 of 3,142
They don't leak music to the outside world really at all. They isolate from outside sounds somewhat, but not a ton.

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #390 of 3,142
Yup, they only leak in, not out.

I wish Denon had implemented the same clamp that the JVC has, because it really makes a world of difference in comfort, sturdiness as it rests on your dome, and isolation. Suffice to say, I have yet to find a better-fitting headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back