JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Aug 9, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #346 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the above. It's hard logistically (and in terms of expense) to have a lot of good speakers. It's not nearly as hard with headphones. So it's much easier to have some variety, which is fun. Also, $500 buys you a decent pair of speakers, nothing great. It buys you a world-class set of headphones, though.

I totally agree. I think that different sound each head phone produces is the addicting part of this hobby, and the reason most of us have 2 or more pair.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #347 of 3,142
Thanks to ckoffend I am now the proud owner of a pair of DX1000
bigsmile_face.gif
. They are added to my collection of Edition 9, D5000 markl moded and my beautiful WD2000 RL Edition.
beyersmile.png

By the way, while Chris was here he listened to all my headphones and he liked the sound and looks of my WD2000 the best of all even on top of the Edition 9.

The DX1000 as so new that they are now in the burn-in process using the Isotech CD in repeat mode. I will let them burn-in for about 400 straight hours before doing any serious listening. I will post my impressions later.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #348 of 3,142
Quote:

I agree with the above. It's hard logistically (and in terms of expense) to have a lot of good speakers. It's not nearly as hard with headphones. So it's much easier to have some variety, which is fun. Also, $500 buys you a decent pair of speakers, nothing great. It buys you a world-class set of headphones, though.

I disagree, I could build myself nice electrostatic speakers for way under $500 that would probably compete with headphones in the $500 range.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #349 of 3,142
No wonder i didn't get a reply to my pm to ckoffend. I sent it quickly after the post but i guess not quick enough, guess ill have to settle for a new pair from pricejapan next month.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #350 of 3,142
I've owned the DX-1000 for about 4 months. I also own HD-600s, RS-1s, and
K-1000s. The JVC is my favorite of the group. Its presentation is "colored", but so are all headphones. The Senns are dull and recessed, the Grados have
an edgy treble and a tiny soundstage, and the K-1000 a weak bass and a
somewhat thin, digital sounding mid-range. The JVC coloration reminds me
of classic Macintosh and JBL equipment. The presentation, while skewed towards the lower mids, is very seductive. The soundstage is the huge and
layered, you get a lot of that "out of head" experiance. The bass, while full
and powerful, is tight and articulate. The treble, while slightly recessed, is
still highly resolved and never harsh. The mid-range is warm , lush, and very
involving. I can take about 45 minutes a session on the Grados or AKG, but
I can listen endlessly on the DX-1000s. I'm sure they're not for everyone, but
if you're an analog guy or an SET enthusiast (I am) you owe yourself a listen.
I run them off a DIY 26/71a transformer coupled amp. IMHO the DX-1000 is a
stong contender for the best dynamic headphones currently produced.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #351 of 3,142
Sorry dallan... and yeah for me!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 10, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #353 of 3,142
...Well, and what music do you listen?
One thing that always has attracted me to this headphone, is his look (physical); and his sounstage & bass. And i don't known if his headstage (until your post. I now known that it sound out of the head) is bigger enough...
For you, is it headphone speedier enough with fast music and fun, or is it a laidback headphone/boring with this music?. How is it comparable with your grado RS-1 in that aspect?
Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the DX-1000 for about 4 months. I also own HD-600s, RS-1s, and
K-1000s. The JVC is my favorite of the group. Its presentation is "colored", but so are all headphones. The Senns are dull and recessed, the Grados have
an edgy treble and a tiny soundstage, and the K-1000 a weak bass and a
somewhat thin, digital sounding mid-range. The JVC coloration reminds me
of classic Macintosh and JBL equipment. The presentation, while skewed towards the lower mids, is very seductive. The soundstage is the huge and
involving. I can take about 45 minutes a session on the Grados or AKG, but
I can listen endlessly on the DX-1000s. I'm sure they're not for everyone, but
if you're an analog guy or an SET enthusiast (I am) you owe yourself a listen.
I run them off a DIY 26/71a transformer coupled amp. IMHO the DX-1000 is a

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #354 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[The DX1000's] presentation is "colored", but so are all headphones. [...] The presentation, while skewed towards the lower mids, is very seductive. The soundstage is the huge and
involving. [...] IMHO the DX-1000 is a

Same here from a solid-state audiophile, Frank! Very same here!

beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #355 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, I could build myself nice electrostatic speakers for way under $500 that would probably compete with headphones in the $500 range.

Yeah, well, most of us can't build our own electrostatic speakers for any price, buddy
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #356 of 3,142
I had an opportunity to listen to these at the last Chicago mini-meet, and I must say that I was very pleased with what I heard. That said, I listened to them on a rig that I know somewhat (Marantz 5001 and SP MPX3), it's not like it's my home rig or anything. This is the problem with meets...
frown.gif

Hopefully I'll have a chance to snag a pair at the next meet I attend, and maybe spend a few minutes listening in my own rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the comfort, for sure...and the bass and mids are very nice. First impression was VERY positive.

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #357 of 3,142
Quote:

I concur. I have a very nice set of speakers($2500+) capable of providing amiably pleasant ground shaking bass coupled with a very big sound, they are in the end not as resolving as my DX1000 phones. Headphones bring the sound to you and make it personal in a way speakers can not. Spend as quoted above $500 + and you will have the equivalent of speakers costing $4000 and above.

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #358 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur. I have a very nice set of speakers($2500+) capable of providing amiably pleasant ground shaking bass coupled with a very big sound, they are in the end not as resolving as my DX1000 phones. Headphones bring the sound to you and make it personal in a way speakers can not. Spend as quoted above $500 + and you will have the equivalent of speakers costing $4000 and above.

I finally have speakers (in the $4,000 range) and amplifiers (in the $2,500+ range; one was on the cover of Stereophile; the other, on the cover of The Absolute Sound) that seem to do everything right in my room. And I still prefer to do all my critical listening and all my movie-soundtrack listening on my headphone rig. There's nothing like great headphones for a truly immersive experience. For movies, only a mega-buck speaker system in an acoustically treated room would have a fighting chance against a first-rate headphone rig.
darthsmile.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #359 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Well, and what music do you listen?
One thing that always has attracted me to this headphone, is his look (physical); and his sounstage. And i don't known if his headstage (until your post. I now known that it sound out of the head) is bigger enough...
For you, is it headphone speedier enough with fast music and fun, or is it a laidback headphone/boring with this music?. How is it comparable with your grado RS-1 in that aspect?
Thanks

I have the RS2 and the JVC just walks all over, with ease I might say, but that is only my opinion. The music I prefer is rock/pop a lot of 80s music and a bit classic..
I find the JVC to be very much involving, I find my self tapping my foot or moving to the rythm and I do not do that with the Grados, BTW my wife thinks I look like a complete idiot when I am listening to music with my JVC...

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #360 of 3,142
I hope that when i buy them in the near future (possibly) i will don't get dissapointed. I don't like grados (except GS1000. But i prefer the DX1000 to them, because it is closed....), because his soundstage (small and 2d)/headstage and for his comfort. But his PRAT is excellent....
I don't known how is the PRAT of this headphone with for example Jrock, or well with heavy metal (which is more well known here between this DX1000 owners than super eurobeat or Jrock) as reference (although i don't listen at it in reality (i only have listened a song in the Anime Cowboy Bebop in EP 07 which is heavy metal, but i don't remember the name now...)).
I want a closed headphone which it be very musical and engaging for the music that i like and not only for classical & Jazz that are slower genre music (and is not my preference, except classical). My DT990 isn't as engaging/involving, because it doesn't have the speed and midrange aggresiveness (in the upper range (is laidback)) that i will like for the music that i listen. However for watch movies and TV, and listen to slower music, is another history...
The DX1000 could do fine to me, because his sounstage/headstage Depth (that i want) and bass quality and extension/texture (can be slightly better than my DT990) and his apparence appeal to me a lot, but.... I don't known about his midrange capabilities (if it is aggresive enough or laidback (that i don't want)) and the treble don't bother me if it is a little rolled off (My Xmod can help here)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the RS2 and the JVC just walks all over, with ease I might say, but that is only my opinion. The music I prefer is rock/pop a lot of 80s music and a bit classic..
I find the JVC to be very much involving, I find my self tapping my foot or moving to the rythm and I do not do that with the Grados, BTW my wife thinks I look like a complete idiot when I am listening to music with my JVC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back