JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #361 of 3,142
It is quite good at presenting heavy, I have only listened to the gs1000 in a short time, but I can say that those two phones are very different, the gs tend to be very trebleish and the dx has it strenth in the midrange and bassarea, the midrange is a little in the back but very smoth..

Regarding the speed of the dx1000, it is about the same as my dt880 or a little bit faster...but not as fast as a pair of q-JAYs which is the fastest headphone I have heard, for music like Metallica, Rammstein etc. it is fast enough IMO

I do not know what Jrock is, but if you can help me naming some artists or groups I might Know some......

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #362 of 3,142
Thank you for your answer and for some interest at respect...
Jrock is Japanesse rock. I like some artist in this genre as Penicillin, L~arc~en~Ciel and others
Here is a example of a Jrock song by Penicillim
Here are some examples of Jpop and Jpop with Super Eurobeat (My favorite), of various artists (some songs are from the same artist) if you don't know how is it...
1 (one of the most Pratty), 2, 3, 4 (a slow eurobeat or less in reality), 5 (it sounded a lot pratty in my ex-speakers and here it sound slower
confused.gif
), 6, 7 & 8 (the last two are some JPop+trance)
And it is unclassified (first time that i listen to it) -WARNING- it has a lot of midbass, it song is ouf of this world as much others....
This genres sound something laidback or slower in the mids (specially the super eurobeat styles), but with energy and extension in the treble that extends to the infinite in my DT990s, which is excelleeent....But even so, the sound isn't as full and pratty as in my ex 5.1, but near (i am very demanding with the Headphone and sometimes i underestimate/underrate it) loudspeakers.
Well, you have some "samples". I want your impressions a lot.
Thanks a lot in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is quite good at presenting heavy, I have only listened to the gs1000 in a short time, but I can say that those two phones are very different, the gs tend to be very trebleish and the dx has it strenth in the midrange and bassarea, the midrange is a little in the back but very smoth..

Regarding the speed of the dx1000, it is about the same as my dt880 or a little bit faster...but not as fast as a pair of q-JAYs which is the fastest headphone I have heard, for music like Metallica, Rammstein etc. it is fast enough IMO

I do not know what Jrock is, but if you can help me naming some artists or groups I might Know some......

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #363 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They came today, and are now burning-in.
.................... I decided it was time to try one, and see if I like it.

Silverrain, c'mon man, whats happened? We're eagerly waiting for some impressions even if only preliminary.

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #364 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silverrain, c'mon man, whats happened? We're eagerly waiting for some impressions even if only preliminary.

I've been out-of-town a lot this past week, so they haven't been burning-in steady.

But, initial impressions, so far, are:

Comfy as D5000, it seems (maybe better?) -- will know better after a long listen -- that will reveal all
Not as heavy as they look -- lightweight
Pretty to look at, like Darths and D5000 are
Quality seems pretty good
Bass seems similar, or possibly a smidge less deep than deep-cup Darths, but still good -- certainly not overwhelming in any way
L3000.gif

Highs details are okay and relaxing -- smidge less highs than Grados, HFI-780, PRO 750, about same as PRO2500, D5000, HD580
Mids are very yummy so far, and even though I am actively listening for it, I don't hear anything of the "honk" that people mention on here, but that's only with very limited listening time
It hasn't done anything "bad" so far, in any way

These seem to be the type of can that can be best for long listening sessions, without any listening fatigue, and with excellent overall SQ -- following with the favorable comments that most have said about it, except that I still have not heard a "honk" from it (which is good I would guess)
biggrin.gif

Will take off of burn-in soon, and make final decision on whether it's a keeper, or ends up in FS forum as so many of my cans do -- I would guess it's a keeper, but we shall see

Hope that helps, but I just seem to be repeating what others have already said about these nice cans

Did I mention they are comfY, like two pillows on your ears?
biggrin.gif

They make the D5000 feel "hard" in comparisaon....

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #365 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been out-of-town a lot this past week, so they haven't been burning-in steady.

But, initial impressions, so far, are:

Comfy as D5000, it seems (maybe better?) -- will know better after a long listen -- that will reveal all
Not as heavy as they look -- lightweight
Pretty to look at, like Darths and D5000 are
Quality seems pretty good
Bass seems similar, or possibly a smidge less deep than deep-cup Darths, but still good -- certainly not overwhelming in any way
L3000.gif

Highs details are okay and relaxing -- smidge less highs than Grados, HFI-780, PRO 750, about same as PRO2500, D5000, HD580
Mids are very yummy so far, and even though I am actively listening for it, I don't hear anything of the "honk" that people mention on here, but that's only with very limited listening time
It hasn't done anything "bad" so far, in any way

These seem to be the type of can that can be best for long listening sessions, without any listening fatigue, and with excellent overall SQ -- following with the favorable comments that most have said about it, except that I still have not heard a "honk" from it (which is good I would guess)
biggrin.gif

Will take off of burn-in soon, and make final decision on whether it's a keeper, or ends up in FS forum as so many of my cans do -- I would guess it's a keeper, but we shall see

Hope that helps, but I just seem to be repeating what others have already said about these nice cans

Did I mention they are comfY, like two pillows on your ears?
biggrin.gif

They make the D5000 feel "hard" in comparisaon....

The "honk" is very limited to certain songs, fortunately. It is very rare although when it strikes it falls into two categories: First-very benign and second-What.
The comparison to two pillows on your ears is correct and thanks as I believe I initially used that descriptor for comfort.
I hope you consider them good enough in the end to keep them. I use mine with the Headroom Desktop Max/Max setup and find the amp controls the prodigious bass beautifully by complimenting it.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #366 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "honk" is very limited to certain songs, fortunately. It is very rare although when it strikes it falls into two categories: First-very benign and second-What.

Could you name an album or a particular song on which this honking is present so everybody could hear what it's all about, personally I've listened over hundred of albums ranging from jazz, blues, classical, rock, metal and still without any honking
popcorn.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #367 of 3,142
Nice music it resembles classic pop/rock from europe in the 80s and I really like it thanks for the samples, I will listen too it for a couple of days with both grados and JVCs and be back with my opinion..

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your answer and for some interest at respect...
Jrock is Japanesse rock. I like some artist in this genre as Penicillin, L~arc~en~Ciel and others
Here is a example of a Jrock song by Penicillim
Here are some examples of Jpop and Jpop with Super Eurobeat (My favorite), of various artists (some songs are from the same artist) if you don't know how is it...
1 (one of the most Pratty), 2, 3, 4 (a slow eurobeat or less in reality), 5 (it sounded a lot pratty in my ex-speakers and here it sound slower
confused.gif
), 6, 7 & 8 (the last two are some JPop+trance)
And it is unclassified (first time that i listen to it) -WARNING- it has a lot of midbass, it song is ouf of this world as much others....
This genres sound something laidback or slower in the mids (specially the super eurobeat styles), but with energy and extension in the treble that extends to the infinite in my DT990s, which is excelleeent....But even so, the sound isn't as full and pratty as in my ex 5.1, but near (i am very demanding with the Headphone and sometimes i underestimate/underrate it) loudspeakers.
Well, you have some "samples". I want your impressions a lot.
Thanks a lot in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #368 of 3,142
Ok of nothing. I glad a lot that you like it
smily_headphones1.gif
. You have a refined taste for music as me, and real one...
Ah, i will be very grateful waiting for your final impressions....
Quote:

Nice music it resembles classic pop/rock from europe in the 80s and I really like it thanks for the samples, I will listen too it for a couple of days with both grados and JVCs and be back with my opinion..

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #369 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you name an album or a particular song on which this honking is present so everybody could hear what it's all about, personally I've listened over hundred of albums ranging from jazz, blues, classical, rock, metal and still without any honking
popcorn.gif

You got me here, like I said it's very rare so I couldn't think of a track that would suffice for your needs. In future though, I will make it a habit of remembering the track/s I come across and post it here for you and all.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #370 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
popcorn.gif

My own experience on that front is somewhat different from Cecala's. (It was extensively chronicled here in three or four threads several months ago.) I, too, had that What-type reaction at the very beginning -- maybe because they were not fully broken in at that point. The sound seemed clearly colored, and I, too, adopted Skylab's term "honkiness" to describe it. The sound would be more aptly described as warm, very warm and spacious when compared to my reference at the time, the D5000. But that warmth was never unpleasant. I noticed it every time, with everything I played -- but only if I were making the effort to concentrate on it.

At this point, it's so subtle that I notice it only when I'm A/B'ing it with either the D5000 or the HD650. I consistently prefer the DX1000 to those other excellent phones. That warmth is very seductive, and there's all that air around the instruments and voices, a very clear illusion of space, all of it within the bounds of timbral accuracy and fidelity to the ambience that is in the material. It still portrays the difference between close-miked recordings and ambience-heavy stuff.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #371 of 3,142
...And your DT990 is a paperweight then?, Why you doesn't name it in your comparisons?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At this point, it's so subtle that I notice it only when I'm A/B'ing it with either the D5000 or the HD650. I consistently prefer the DX1000 to those other excellent phones. That warmth is very seductive, and there's all that air around the instruments and voices, a very clear illusion of space, all of it within the bounds of timbral accuracy and fidelity to the ambience that is in the material.

And, the DT990 doesn't make the same?...
Quote:

It still portrays the difference between close-miked recordings and ambience-heavy stuff.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #372 of 3,142
Quote:

Ok of nothing. I glad a lot that you like it
smily_headphones1.gif
. You have a refined taste for music as me, and real one...
Ah, i will be very grateful waiting for your final impressions....

I pains me to say that the Grados are better than the JVCs, but given your musictaste I would go for either RS1 or 2, not that the dx1000 does not play your samples well, but I think it is a little laidback and if you are not into that, it would be a better choice with a Grado....

If you do not mind the laidbackness and can live with the rolled of treble (only compared to grados), the dx1000 schould be your choice..

But keep in mind that this is only my opinion and I am the type who likes the laidbackness and smoth sound of JVC and in no way a fan of the gradosound...

If I had to listen for hours the JVC would also come out as a winner, I get so tired in my head from all the treble in the Grados and also misses the extra punchy bass in the JVCs, also the comfort is an important issue for me and in that department the Grados do not stand a chance...

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #373 of 3,142
Encouraged by this thread, I took the plunge and ordered my HP-DX1000 from PriceJapan.com Sunday night. I had a tracking number when I awoke Monday morning and the phones arrived this afternoon! I had planned on ordering them a week or two ago, but didn't find the time. Good fortune for me as, unlike AudioCubes, PriceJapan converts yen to dollars at the time of purchase so the strengthening of the dollar over that past weeks saved me about $20!

Anyway, on first listen I am overwhelmed by the bass (my references are an ATH-W5000 driven by a Millett Max and a STAX SRS-4040 II system). The midrange and highs are nice. I am letting them run-in for a while on my Lehmann Black Cube Linear, while I visit a client this afternoon. Hopefully, I can adjust to the added bass. While I'm not a strong believer in burn-in making significant changes, I would be interested to hear what I can expect these to sound like over time.

Thanks to all for pointing me in this direction.

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #374 of 3,142
Yes, i was expecting that...., and thank you for comfirm that. As an alternative to my DT990, i will consider the AD2000 (well, yet considered) for this music and the other that i like too (fast space music).
Ah, at purpose, have you tested before the AD2000?.
Yes and Unfortunatelly this headphone will not offer anything new to my DT990, except for this closedness and a little deeper bass, deeper soudnstage and warmer sound; but the price difference, it doesn't justify that. For that i prefer the GS1000 which seems superior.... However, if my uncle (that loves Classical, Jazz and Opera thing a lot) decides to sell his house (very big for him and his wife, housemaid and his pets, hehehe.) and to move to an appartment; he have to sell his very expensive home theather. I will recommend him this headphone....
Quote:

I pains me to say that the Grados are better than the JVCs, but given your musictaste I would go for either RS1 or 2, not that the dx1000 does not play your samples well, but I think it is a little laidback and if you are not into that, it would be a better choice with a Grado....

If you do not mind the laidbackness and can live with the rolled of treble (only compared to grados), the dx1000 schould be your choice..

But keep in mind that this is only my opinion and I am the type who likes the laidbackness and smoth sound of JVC and in no way a fan of the gradosound...

If I had to listen for hours the JVC would also come out as a winner, I get so tired in my head from all the treble in the Grados and also misses the extra punchy bass in the JVCs, also the comfort is an important issue for me and in that department the Grados do not stand a chance...

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #375 of 3,142
Quote:

...And your DT990 is a paperweight then?, Why you doesn't name it in your comparisons?

And, the DT990 doesn't make the same?...

Fair enough, Wilashort!
tongue.gif
You noticed that I avoided comparing the DT990-600 to the DX1000. No, they haven't turned into paperweights. They're very much in use actually. The reason why I haven't written on these phones lately is simply that I feel I need time, and a lot of words, to describe my (complex) experience with these phones, and time has been in short supply. In any case, I'll give you the breakneck-speed version here, hoping it will be of some use.

My impressions of the DT990, 600-ohm version, after about 120 hours of use, were volunteered in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dt9...n-pics-261628/

I still stand by what I wrote there. But, since then, I've become more aware of how strongly colored these phones are. These are dark-sounding phones – and I mean "dark" as in "dark, dark, dark"! None of the comments I read about them prior to placing the order with Beyer Manufaktur adequately prepared me for what I got. The difference between the 250-ohm and the 600-ohm version is very striking. But those who spoke well of the 600-ohm version were right in the main: Like them, I prefer it to the 250-ohm version. Whereas the 250's are characterized by a "peakiness" around 10 kHz (subjectively speaking), there's nothing at all like that in the sound of the 600's. Here, the emphasis is all on the lower mids. I'm talking about thick, gooey mids (if you'll pardon the metaphor). It's like cranking up the volume of the cellos in a symphonic recording! In my earlier post linked above, I described the mids as "lush" – quite a departure from the (good!) sound of the 250's – and I'm still inclined to apply the term to the 600's. It is a very seductive sound with the right kind of material. The 600's are the cure for harshness. If you're looking for dark-sounding phones that deserve to be called "full-range", you won't regret getting the 600's. I have no plan to let go of them. On the other hand, if you're looking for the last bit of sparkle in a recording, the 600's are not the phones for you. In my case, I wanted something that contrasted nicely with my other phones, and I got it. These phones are detailed; don't get me wrong. If there's ambience in the recording, you get ambience. Those cymbals sound nice, polite, but nice nonetheless. Now, if the recording is bright, they won't be faithful to it. They will tame the brightness. And that's not exactly what we call "hi-fi", is it? They do go low too. But, subjectively, not quite as low as either the DX1000 or the D5000. Still, they're so strong in the 40-50 Hz region – there's so much "bass weight" here – that you may think you're going as low as money can buy. It's good-quality bass, just not the very best.

So, are the DT990-600 top-tier phones? I can't say that they are. I'm happy I have them. With some material, they put up a nice fight with the HD650 for third place among my phones. (They are the most comfortable phones I have.) But they are too specialized to be called "top-tier". If you want a dark-sounding champ, the best anti-brightness phones that still deserve to be called "timbrally accurate", the DT990-600 will make you happy.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back