JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jul 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #316 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DX1000 phones are indeed magical, once you get the 'feel' of their style it's very difficult to part with them. The bottom end is very strong, powerful and addictive and this is coming from a non-basshead.

Well put, and very true.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #317 of 3,142
Quote:

The DX1000 phones are indeed magical, once you get the 'feel' of their style it's very difficult to part with them. The bottom end is very strong, powerful and addictive and this is coming from a non-basshead.

Spot on. And they have great speed also, something that often gets overlooked. Last night I was listening to Union Station's "Boy ...Hoe Corn" (live version) which has an incredible dobro solo at the beginning and the DX1000s are FAR quicker and more articulate on this track than are the RS1s, which are no slouches themselves. The sound of the fingers plucking and the decay are all there with the DX1000s.

I'm just trying (again) to summon up the courage to take them balanced via a recable or retermination. I know I've asked this before, but has anyone gone this route yet?

o

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #318 of 3,142
Quote:

Cecala, the bottom end is, indeed, very strong, powerful and addictive -- and this is coming from a basshead.
biggrin.gif

One year later, I'm still in awe of the DX1000.

Cheers,

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #322 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....I'm just trying (again) to summon up the courage to take them balanced via a recable or retermination. I know I've asked this before, but has anyone gone this route yet?
o

I suggest you do it, I myself often think about re-cabling mine if only to get rid of the occasional tangling that the cables get in(not to mention better sound). Some nice super slick cable combined with a meaty metal Neutrik http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutri..._135449292.jpg connector at the end.
Provided that you intend to keep yours and I think that your comments in the past conclude this, then have them balanced. The sound quality can only lead North. You will have the honor of being the first and with a superior set.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #323 of 3,142
Thnak you, Cecala! (And thanks for the heads-up as regards that SVS technology.)

Good to see that the DX1000 has withstood the test of time, and all the amps and DAC's we've thrown at it. At this point, how wrong can we be?
darthsmile.gif

Which brings me to the point:

Quote:

I suggest you do it, I myself often think about re-cabling mine if only to get rid of the occasional tangling that the cables get in(not to mention better sound) [...] The sound quality can only lead North.[...]

I'd be extra-careful here. Given what we already know about the DX1000, isn't it conceivable that its performance might actually be worsened -- or at best remain unchanged -- by a recable? I wouldn't take that step unless I had a very definite complaint and some idea of how it might be improved by a recable. And then I'd only do it if I were prepared to revert to its original cable, should a really nasty surprise occur. My two cents...

Still, there's no question that we'd like to hear from the brave soul who'd take that step. I just don't buy into the assumption that a mega-buck cable must make an audible difference, especially for phones such as these.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #324 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thnak you, Cecala! (And thanks for the heads-up as regards that SVS technology.)

Good to see that the DX1000 has withstood the test of time, and all the amps and DAC's we've thrown at it. At this point, how wrong can we be?
darthsmile.gif

Which brings me to the point:

I'd be extra-careful here. Given what we already know about the DX1000, isn't it conceivable that its performance might actually be worsened -- or at best remain unchanged -- by a recable? I wouldn't take that step unless I had a very definite complaint and some idea of how it might be improved by a recable. And then I'd only do it if I were prepared to revert to its original cable, should a really nasty surprise occur. My two cents...

Still, there's no question that we'd like to hear from the brave soul who'd take that step. I just don't buy into the assumption that a mega-buck cable must make an audible difference, especially for phones such as these.

Yeah, I appreciate the caution -- partly what has been holding me back is the worry that any recable may represent merely a change and not an upgrade. Still, I've noticed a real difference in going from SE to balanced on my HD650s and would like to take advantage of balanced operation with my DX1000s. I'll try to make sure that the operation is reversible...
regular_smile .gif

best,

o

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #325 of 3,142
Quote:

Yeah, I appreciate the caution -- partly what has been holding me back is the worry that any recable may represent merely a change and not an upgrade. Still, I've noticed a real difference in going from SE to balanced on my HD650s and would like to take advantage of balanced operation with my DX1000s. I'll try to make sure that the operation is reversible...
regular_smile .gif

best,

o

Oh, the SE-to-balanced move is much more ambitious than a mere recabling job, no matter how good that new cable may be. I agree, Orkney, that's potentially more rewarding. I'd try it myself, if I could. (I'm discouraged, however, by those who claim that some efficient top-tier phones don't benefit significantly from that kind of investment.) Now, must it involve recabling? Or would a re-termination suffice in the case of the DX1000?

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #326 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, the SE-to-balanced move is much more ambitious than a mere recabling job, no matter how good that new cable may be. I agree, Orkney, that's potentially more rewarding. I'd try it myself, if I could. (I'm discouraged, however, by those who claim that some efficient top-tier phones don't benefit significantly from that kind of investment.) Now, must it involve recabling? Or would a re-termination suffice in the case of the DX1000?

The recabler I've been in touch with thinks that a retermination is possible and that the DX1000 cable is excellent, and might only realize minimal benefits from a complete recable. The plan is to reterminate to 8 feet and use the rest for an XLR-to-SE adaptor. That way I can easily go back to SE -- and I won't have to give up that beautiful wood plug.

I'm pretty new to balanced phones, but I have two cables for my HD650s and can easily swap back and forth between balanced and SE, and it's no contest. The balanced 650s are faster, cleaner, more extended at the top and at the bottom, have a larger and more clearly delineated soundstage and seem to have all kinds of headroom which translates to an effortless sound. I love this balanced HR amp -- though I had a chance to hear your MAX'd-out desktop rig and it sure is something special.

Anyway, hope to get these off in a week or so and will report back then. And congrats to all the new DX1000 owners -- enjoy!

best,

o

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #327 of 3,142
"I hope a couple specks of missing paint on the cup holder assembly isn't going to destroy the value of these headphones
I wouldn't recommend using the included box as a means of storing them while frequently using them."

I mean no disrespect...but I do not care what these cans look like. They SOUND amazing and I do not intend to ever sell them. Just one man's opinion.

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #328 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by holdendebeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean no disrespect...but I do not care what these cans look like. They SOUND amazing and I do not intend to ever sell them. Just one man's opinion.

Same opinion here, although I have the headphones for like 3 months I can't even imagine I could ever sell them... They are great no matter what you throw at them, recently I was astonished by their presentation of Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz, the bass, soundstage, highs....damn the piano really sounds like piano! beautiful...

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #329 of 3,142
The DX1000 and...Bill Evans?! Now, that's an inspired combination! Congrats!

You've just reminded me I haven't yet listened to those 1967 Village Vanguard recordings (an old favorite) on the DX1000. These phones are amazing for live recordings.

Cheers,

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #330 of 3,142
Quote:

The recabler I've been in touch with thinks that a retermination is possible and that the DX1000 cable is excellent, and might only realize minimal benefits from a complete recable. The plan is to reterminate to 8 feet and use the rest for an XLR-to-SE adaptor. That way I can easily go back to SE -- and I won't have to give up that beautiful wood plug.

I'm pretty new to balanced phones, but I have two cables for my HD650s and can easily swap back and forth between balanced and SE, and it's no contest. The balanced 650s are faster, cleaner, more extended at the top and at the bottom, have a larger and more clearly delineated soundstage and seem to have all kinds of headroom which translates to an effortless sound. I love this balanced HR amp -- though I had a chance to hear your MAX'd-out desktop rig and it sure is something special.

Anyway, hope to get these off in a week or so and will report back then. And congrats to all the new DX1000 owners -- enjoy!

best,

o

Firstly how does your re-cabler know that the present cable on the DX1000 is excellent? Did he remove a cable from this phone and compare with other cables on a test phone? If your worried about the sound quality not improving or "any re-cable may represent merely a change and not an upgrade" then simply do not cut the cable at the cups but de-solder at the joints inside. Then if the modified phone not live up to your exceptions then it's a simple case of reversing the procedure.
Having read too many posts here I can't remember anybody actually regretting going balanced with their phones. Whatever the positive attributes, there now improved or heightened going balanced.
While we're at it, I also don't recall ever, a phone being made with excellent cable provided as standard. All phones do improve with new cable although I am against some of these over the top prices being charged(no names). Even the mighty R10 while evident(from outside) that no expense was shared improved with a new cable. The amount of improvement is to be accessed though, would 10% suffice or 50% do it for you to go ahead. In the end as they say, it's up to you and your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back