JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #3,271 of 4,826
Oh i didnt mean they couldnt sound good off the e5, just that e5 high gain is pretty useless. I liked it on low gain but ended up using the e5 in dac into a cayin c5. When you are running -20db pre gain or more to maximize bass power the extra power really shines thru. If you dont need to pummel in your eardrums to leave em ringing the e5 does a fine job. I would get one again just to use as dac honestly.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #3,272 of 4,826
Oh i didnt mean they couldnt sound good off the e5, just that e5 high gain is pretty useless. I liked it on low gain but ended up using the e5 in dac into a cayin c5. When you are running -20db pre gain or more to maximize bass power the extra power really shines thru. If you dont need to pummel in your eardrums to leave em ringing the e5 does a fine job. I would get one again just to use as dac honestly.

This is pretty much my experience as well, E5 on high gain distorts very easily.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #3,274 of 4,826
Wide deep bass

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=7M7NAX4skyc

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #3,275 of 4,826
Any EQ works! Some people like hardware EQ, i use a software EQ.

The stock pads are pretty bad yeah. They are not bad on other headphones, but they suck for the SZ's. HM5 pads or anything else that size will work but it's been known that pads from the ham55x/77x are great too.

Cant find the ham55x pad. Hmm what makes them better? Is it the thickness? Isolation?

For as much as we get asked about amps and EQ, we should really get EQ and amp info for the SZ1K's and SZ2K's stickied. lol

The Fiio A3, Fiio E12, or Cayin C5 can amp these cans to perditions flames if you want to take them that far.

I personally like external EQ's rather then software EQ. If your your not connected to an external DAC and are running directly off your headphone jack, you might find software EQ to be less then desired. This is because the pre-amp in your phone, computer, or many other music sources lack line level amplification. My personal setup however is home theater, so it just made even more logical sense to get an external EQ box and set it up so all sources running through my tv get equalized. Hardware based EQ's have their own amplification, and they have a transformer large enough to provide the output.

However, if in your case you are going portable with your phone, I would highly recommend that you get the Fiio E18 DAC/AMP combo, then you can do software based EQ on your phone and it should work out perfectly. Since I am not the type of person who likes to talk out their *** about the stuff I speak, I will provide a picture of my latest EQ settings so that you know how you can get the most out of them. Oh and don't forget these have burn in, so the longer you use them, the better they sound. :)

Thanks for your input mate

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #3,277 of 4,826
That would be because the only way to get those pads are from the 55x/77x headphones themselves. No way to just buy the pads
frown.gif

There are a few posts with links to an ebay seller who sold just the pads. Creative thread search tool use might dig it out?
I might try to find it later

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #3,278 of 4,826
Personally, for desktop I have not desire for Hardware EQ. I use shibatch EQ for winamp and take advantage of the power of my amp to just turn the volume up and turn high frequencies down. Right now, I'm a bit dissatisfied with phone EQs in comparison to my desktop so maybe hardware EQ is my only option. The phone EQs work to a level of satisfaction, but my desktop EQ just kicks it's ass

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #3,280 of 4,826
I can't say yes or no to the HM5 being better than the 55X pads as I've only tried the HM5's. However, I can tell you they are way better than stock, by a vast amount.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,282 of 4,826
But they fit perfectly right?

They take a little bit of work, but they fit great. And by work I mean you just take it slow, work them around the plastic ring. Here is a pic of mine with the HM5 pads on.

This video will help you. Although the HM5 pads take just a tiny bit more stretching than the HA-M55x pads, they go on the same way.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #3,283 of 4,826
They take a little bit of work, but they fit great. And by work I mean you just take it slow, work them around the plastic ring. Here is a pic of mine with the HM5 pads on.

This video will help you. Although the HM5 pads take just a tiny bit more stretching than the HA-M55x pads, they go on the same way.

Hmm mkay, i think i'll go with the hm5 pads, i found the $22 on amazon, is it the cost for a piece or a pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back