JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #3,241 of 4,826
The only good thing about the wired headphone craze being over is we get to stock up while the gettin' is good. I sold a couple 2000s so i'm down to one 2000 and one 1000 but I am not at all gonna be surprised if I end up hoarding 2000's.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #3,242 of 4,826
Yea I'm fine with what I got now. Still am trying to track down the Sony MDR 1A under $150, and Probably picking up a pair of MA900's for $150 soon. Seen em online in Japan trending down towards $150. HBB has sold me on them, and I like Sony's shizz anyway. V6's for lyfe! Hehe. Have 5 pairs of Sony headphones that I have had since I was 16-20 years old.(40 now) Always been happy with them.

Iems and blootoof are not my bag. I endure Iems during the summer months as I work a good portion of the day outside and well 100 degrees and headphones don't mix. Blootoofus is ok I suppose but I'm not a fan. Headphones, especially big giant headphones are so fresh to me.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #3,243 of 4,826
I'm definitely going to have to pick up a spare set of SZ2000's to cover my ass, and look into getting the MDR-XB500 to round out my "fun" collection. I've been watching the MDR-1A trend down in price as well. It's on Amazon now for $187.60

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #3,244 of 4,826
  I'm definitely going to have to pick up a spare set of SZ2000's to cover my ass, and look into getting the MDR-XB500 to round out my "fun" collection. I've been watching the MDR-1A trend down in price as well. It's on Amazon now for $187.60

Do the 1A's have comparable bass slam? The SZ's as you know are SPL heaven and it's hard to accept any other headphones that aren't :wink:

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #3,245 of 4,826
Do the 1A's have comparable bass slam? The SZ's as you know are SPL heaven and it's hard to accept any other headphones that aren't :wink:

I've read some reviews that claim they hit hard, but I don't know personally. That's why I'm waiting until they drop low enough to where curiosity and my budget intersect, lol.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #3,246 of 4,826
I'm a mid centric female vocals kinda guy at heart. All my time spent in Japan, I really got absorbed into the Jpop and Jrock scene. I guess because of the high pitched female voices Jpop is mixed all upper mids into treble, with no bass. Hear that the Sony's are a go for that. The pro 500's work great for Jpop, but the Sony's are supposed to be comfort bliss also. Willing to try em out.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #3,247 of 4,826
  I'm a mid centric female vocals kinda guy at heart. All my time spent in Japan, I really got absorbed into the Jpop and Jrock scene. I guess because of the high pitched female voices Jpop is mixed all upper mids into treble, with no bass. Hear that the Sony's are a go for that. The pro 500's work great for Jpop, but the Sony's are supposed to be comfort bliss also. Willing to try em out.

Talkin about the 1A's? I know exactly where you're coming from with the j-pop/j-rock and all that stuff but still love it all on my glorious SZ's :D

I wouldn't turn down something like a DJ Signature Ultrasone if it was handed to me but there's nothing EQ couldn't fix for me with the 2000.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #3,248 of 4,826
So I just bought a pair of sz2000s and pairing them with a fiio e17 1st gen. and i gotta say... I'm pretty disappointed. I was running dt770 80 ohms before this and the bass is near identical when listening to music. if i use those "bass test" youtube videos then sure there'll be more quantity, but it's not something that translates into normal listening. I've tried dnb, trance, rap etc and the dt770 just sounds straight up better because of the similar bass but vastly wider soundstage. I even maxed out my bass boost to +10 on the amp and it is not that impressive. what am I doing wrong!? I plan on burning these things in for a while, but i doubt it'll help.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #3,249 of 4,826
Did you get a bad pair maybe? Can you return or exchange them? Because mine were trying to punch holes in my brain case out of the box. The highs got better over time, but the lows hit right away. I'm sorry to hear yours aren't.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #3,250 of 4,826
  So I just bought a pair of sz2000s and pairing them with a fiio e17 1st gen. and i gotta say... I'm pretty disappointed. I was running dt770 80 ohms before this and the bass is near identical when listening to music. if i use those "bass test" youtube videos then sure there'll be more quantity, but it's not something that translates into normal listening. I've tried dnb, trance, rap etc and the dt770 just sounds straight up better because of the similar bass but vastly wider soundstage. I even maxed out my bass boost to +10 on the amp and it is not that impressive. what am I doing wrong!? I plan on burning these things in for a while, but i doubt it'll help.

FiiO E17 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier
Output Power> 250 mW into 16 ohms > 20 mW into 300 ohms

That is barely more power than your phone can put out as far as the SZ is concerned. It is sensitive and low impedance but powerful. If you have a stereo receiver around, try them with that and crank the bass knob, see if that helps.

Most amps recommended for use w the sz2k put out 500mW at the least.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #3,252 of 4,826

Well, those ^^ are going to have to wait a bit now, I just ordered a set of the new Sennheiser HD-569's. But they are still on my want list. Stupid headphones, R.I.P. my wallet from this forum, lol.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #3,253 of 4,826

These headphones have no life or magic bass fairy dust in them. They are just empty vessels. Its up to you to bring them to life with EQ and POWER.

I don't have en e17 but I'm sure that the bass boost is crap. I own 2 fiio amps and both have crap boost. There should be enough pow pow, to get them headphones shaking though.

Poweramp eq on your phone is good, and there are a few good free eqs available on PC. Eq that lower freq and then stick that amp in between it and your headphones and crank up the volume. Even with your amp you should be way way past what you can get on dt770. Those are not even bass head phones.

If that doesn't get your head feel like your being speed boxed, then maybe them phones is broken.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #3,254 of 4,826

FiiO E17 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier
Output Power> 250 mW into 16 ohms > 20 mW into 300 ohms

That is barely more power than your phone can put out as far as the SZ is concerned. It is sensitive and low impedance but powerful. If you have a stereo receiver around, try them with that and crank the bass knob, see if that helps.

Most amps recommended for use w the sz2k put out 500mW at the least.

So I just ordered a fiio e12 amp for the extra power and it seems to be what a lot of other people are using. I was debating e12 or cayin c5 but it is going for over double on amazon atm. Hopefully this amp will wake up these cans.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #3,255 of 4,826
I think the cool thing about the SZ2000 is that the bass quantity and slam is so massive that they can make the low end of songs I don't consider even a bit bassy rock out on the occasional low end notes or bass guitar that they implement. As an avid Jpop fan myself, they work great for that genre if you are looking to bump a little bit ya know?

On the other hand, they can really make some songs sound quite disappointing. I've mostly experienced this with hip hop. To be frank, a lot of rap must be mixed poorly. I've experienced this particularly with older Jay-Z stuff. I was looking to get some serious head bobbing going on with Izzo and some other tracks...but the SZ2000 was completely unresponsive, muddy even. The low end simply isn't there for the second driver to kick in and slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back