JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 29, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #751 of 2,211
 Exact^

Will update the first page pretty soon with more impressions and write a small list of things to look out for that may break interest for the product. I should be receiving mine soon again as the tour is almost concluded, only Joker is left. 

A graph provided by Tyll Hertsens will be available on Dec. 1st, this Thursday. I will post it on the first page in addition to my thoughts whenever I get the chance. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #752 of 2,211
The most interesting thing I have discovered about the FXT90 is that unlike most other IEMs I have tried, this JVC is the "least" tip dependent. All it asks of you is that you provide it with a tip that has wide diameter to give it room to spit fire! With that said, I've found so many tips compatible with the FXT90 (each one putting it's on little splash or twist on this JVC's sound signature. Now, I thought I was happy with the IE8' s double-flange, but decided to slip these thicker blueish UE silicon onto the FXT90 since I could see they fit. Wow!! Another match made in heaven...Tighter bass , great instrument separation....Nice balance and mixture of the highs....and great great micro-details.. Wonderful!! I'm using the medium/large...

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #753 of 2,211

Quote:
The most interesting thing I have discovered about the FXT90 is that unlike most other IEMs I have tried, this JVC is the "least" tip dependent. All it asks of you is that you provide it with a tip that has wide diameter to give it room to spit fire! With that said, I've found so many tips compatible with the FXT90 (each one putting it's on little splash or twist on this JVC's sound signature. Now, I thought I was happy with the IE8' s double-flange, but decided to slip these thicker blueish UE silicon onto the FXT90 since I could see they fit. Wow!! Another match made in heaven...Tighter bass , great instrument separation....Nice balance and mixture of the highs....and great great micro-details.. Wonderful!! I'm using the medium/large...

Eric,  I concur about the UE silicone tips....they work best on my RE272 as well, better bass, details and separation.  I found the UE tips available and purchased five pair of the medium.  The medium in these are a little fatter that the tips I had been using, and they stay put with the TF 10's as well as the other phones that I tried them with.  I have been using the stock Vsonic tips on my GR07...would like to find a way to get the UE tips to stay on them, just to try if they stay put in my ears better...Vsonic tips are more tapered but they sound very good on GR07 IMO... 

Hey, did you notice that the UE TF 15 has a split in the tube...one for bass....the other for treble.  Still three armatures....sound is supposed to be better....they use the same shell, etc as the TF 10.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #754 of 2,211

Quote:
Eric,  I concur about the UE silicone tips....they work best on my RE272 as well, better bass, details and separation.  I found the UE tips available and purchased five pair of the medium.  The medium in these are a little fatter that the tips I had been using, and they stay put with the TF 10's as well as the other phones that I tried them with.  I have been using the stock Vsonic tips on my GR07...would like to find a way to get the UE tips to stay on them, just to try if they stay put in my ears better...Vsonic tips are more tapered but they sound very good on GR07 IMO... 

I have to give the Vsonic stock tips another chance on the GR07... Right now I'm enjoying the Jays silicon on them GR07 (still), and the silicon tips you sent me I'm enjoying on the 7550...

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #755 of 2,211
I'm experiencing bad contact on the jack, many times it's playing mono and sometimes it makes no sound. I need to spin the jack on the connectors (it happens with any source) to find the point where it works...

Too bad.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #756 of 2,211
all the build quality issues def. decrease my interest in this product, but am excited that joker will be getting his hands on one soon!

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #757 of 2,211
Quote:
I'm experiencing bad contact on the jack, many times it's playing mono and sometimes it makes no sound. I need to spin the jack on the connectors (it happens with any source) to find the point where it works...

Too bad.

I had that issue on a jack, it was with a new 3.5 mm interconnect, so I at first imediately suspected poor workmanship, and was almost going to send it back? but the the problem wound up being that there was a small amount of glue at the base of the jack where it would make contact with the input and not allow the jack to go all the way in? it was almost unoticeable? I had to scrape a bit to get it off, but after that the issue went away, you might not have a glue issue but there might be something that isn't allowing the plug to go all the way into the input? and it doesn't take much to cause an issue? initially it had the effect of sounding as if it was a bad wire? and with spinning it around it would remake contact and the problem would go away? this might help? but might be yours isn't the same problem, but sounds very familiar with what problem I had, 

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #758 of 2,211

Quote:
all the build quality issues def. decrease my interest in this product, but am excited that joker will be getting his hands on one soon!

To be honest, build quality is the last thing I would single out as a weakness of the FXT90s.  I can't speak for quality control issues, but these are generally some solid feeling iems.  They seem well-designed and built to last.  I've yet to see any reports of these splitting or otherwise physically breaking during regular use.  Of course, they're still relatively new...

Knowing that the pair joker will be receiving are fully burned in by now, I'd be willing to bet he's going to like the FXT90s, despite that they're a bit more coloured than he usually prefers.  (Based on what I gather from his reviews.)  

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #760 of 2,211

Quote:
Have anyone got problem that right earphone is playing quieter? I have this problem. I don't want to send it back... Maybe someone had this problem and can help me out?

Check the seal in both ears by switching channels. The difference might be because your left ear is getting a better seal than your right.

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #761 of 2,211

Frequency response graph provided by Tyll Hertsens. 

Overall it's v-shaped, but nothing like I will imagine the HJE900s or CC51s to graph. Channels are pretty well matched considering it will be harder to match dual drivers, the Tandems show this difficulty as their drivers don't match that well. Bass was actually more controlled compared to the Tandem despite more emphasis and had more extension. Treble isn't as smooth as the Tandems but it isn't as reserved.  It's pretty amazing how fairly linear they stay from 600hz to 2k and they had less distortion than the Tandem. That 8k spike gives it it's sparkle, thankfully there is no big lower treble spike which means it really doesn't add sibilance but certainly doesn't hide it. No dramatic dips on the lower treble which is also a great strength, similar to the CK10 in this regard. Overall, pretty solid. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #763 of 2,211
I have settled with the sony hybrids since it fits my taste more than stock tips and isolates more. With the hybrids on, the treble is smoothed out and loses sparkle but the bass becomes more boomy which is suitable for hip hop/trance. Oh and its more comfortable too. Cant get better than this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back