JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,206 of 2,211
Thanks for the very informative reply. The FXZ200 is an intriguing IEM. It seems to be the earphone in this family, with the largest soundstage. The bass sounds like something, I would be interested to hear. Actually, the whole sound profile, is something I want to hear, it is a fascinating model. It does not offer the same level of portability, and lightness of the FXT90, but it seems comfortable enough. It sounds like it has a similar physical form, compared to the FXT90. (Similar nozzle length, similar tips), which would be a big plus, since the FXT90 is comfortable for me.

Your opinion that the FXT90 has a slightly grainy tone, (in the mids), and harsh or fuzzy treble, I do not experience this. If my volume is set too high, then yes, the treble is the first thing to strike me. For example, changing to a Youtube video, that has a higher volume, than the previous one. But that is not the fault of the IEM. In fact, I like the treble alot. The mids are bold in the FXT90, especially if you look at the curve of its sound profile, V-shaped, no doubt. Yet, the mids are not "aggressive" to me. It is a fun, pretty balanced IEM overall, imho.

The cable on the FXZ200, seems like a good one. I like the cable on my FXT90, so it should be great. I don't workout, or even walk, with IEM's, lol. Actually, I don't listen to any music, if I am exercising, hehe. I use IEM's while I am sitting on my desk, pretty motionless. Had a few other IEM's, but sold them all. The FXT90 is the only one I own right now. Don't really see a need, to find others. I love the FXT90! It is really the only IEM I "need", (at this point in my life). Yet I do have interests in exploring other ones. Curiosity, and as they say, "variety is the spice of life".

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #2,207 of 2,211
By the way, I just read your review on the JVC HA-FXZ200 on here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jvc-ha-fxz200.15488/reviews

That was excellent! Very thorough and informative. I learned alot about the FXZ200! The sections, "The Sound", "Design / Size / Cable", and "Comfort / Isolation" had great analysis, and great description. It was also cool to see your comparison section, because I have also owned the Yamaha EPH-100, and currently own/use the JVC HA-FXT90.

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #2,208 of 2,211
By the way, I just read your review on the JVC HA-FXZ200 on here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jvc-ha-fxz200.15488/reviews

That was excellent! Very thorough and informative. I learned alot about the FXZ200! The sections, "The Sound", "Design / Size / Cable", and "Comfort / Isolation" had great analysis, and great description. It was also cool to see your comparison section, because I have also owned the Yamaha EPH-100, and currently own/use the JVC HA-FXT90.

Thanks :ksc75smile:, but Jesus Christ, I wrote A LOT back then. After owning more earphones (and exploring each unique sound signatures), I learn more about different sound frequencies, flavors, sweet spots, and of course, awful spots. My experience has grown, and I think I could have known more and better explained than what I did back then (maybe grammatical errors, which is unavoidable). I only enjoy comparing the FXZ200 to one and another. I think I could've done better describing its sound signature, which can be subjective and difficult to interpret accurately.

I still have the Yamaha EPH-100 as well. it is still functional since 2010, and still remain one of my favorites.

Now I am enjoying this secondary FXT90 more. It has grown into me. Less aggressive and more palatable than the original FXT90. But I still yearn for the energy and liveliness of the original, so they are meant to complement one and another.

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #2,209 of 2,211
Thanks :ksc75smile:, but Jesus Christ, I wrote A LOT back then. After owning more earphones (and exploring each unique sound signatures), I learn more about different sound frequencies, flavors, sweet spots, and of course, awful spots. My experience has grown, and I think I could have known more and better explained than what I did back then (maybe grammatical errors, which is unavoidable). I only enjoy comparing the FXZ200 to one and another. I think I could've done better describing its sound signature, which can be subjective and difficult to interpret accurately.

I still have the Yamaha EPH-100 as well. it is still functional since 2010, and still remain one of my favorites.

Now I am enjoying this secondary FXT90 more. It has grown into me. Less aggressive and more palatable than the original FXT90. But I still yearn for the energy and liveliness of the original, so they are meant to complement one and another.

True, it is difficult to describe sound in words. I definitely want to try out the FXZ200. Very interested in how it will sound to me, in real life, instead of reading reviews about it. There are some things, that are best accomplished physically, (the most simple way. Although that can cost money). The FXT90 is my most comfortable iem ever, I am very curious how the FXZ200 will fit in my ears, (we are all different, and experience iem's in different ways). Although a well designed iem, with a good form-fitting shape, will generate a much higher ratio of positive reviews, in the "comfort" category.

The Yamaha EPH-100 had great sound, it was comfortable in my ears, and it looked cool. However, the left bud, would keep dislodging from my ear, after about 20 minutes. I tried all of the different tip sizes, yet this problem kept occurring. It just shows how different we, are as people, (with different ear canal angles, widths, etc). My EPH-100's eventually lost sound in one of the drivers, after about 6 months. This turned out to be a very common problem with the EPH-100. I read many unhappy reviews about it, on Amazon, Head-fi, etc.

I'm quite surprised that one of your FXT90's, sounds so different than the other. The seller that you bought it from, on Ebay, seems to be selling FXT90's, that are not "first rate", it seems. Could be slightly damaged models, that never made it to store shelves, in the pretty packaging. Hmmm. I would like to buy a backup FXT90. A true one, in the original packaging. But that seems to be a hard thing to find. (It is an old model now, and it was popular). There is one on Ebay, for $280, shipped from Japan. I will just stick to mine for now, and hope they last a long time, lol!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #2,210 of 2,211
The Yamaha EPH-100 had great sound, it was comfortable in my ears, and it looked cool. However, the left bud, would keep dislodging from my ear, after about 20 minutes. I tried all of the different tip sizes, yet this problem kept occurring. It just shows how different we, are as people, (with different ear canal angles, widths, etc). My EPH-100's eventually lost sound in one of the drivers, after about 6 months. This turned out to be a very common problem with the EPH-100. I read many unhappy reviews about it, on Amazon, Head-fi, etc.

My EPH-100 experienced the same issue where one side goes off after listening about an hour or two (possibly because of dislodged by moisture). But I troubleshoot it by blowing the dying side with a mouth, duster, and magnetizing the earphone with a magnet. I am not sure what is the perfect solution, but the earphone went back alive after a break, like about an hour or so. This had happened for about 5 times, and the earphone hasn't lost its sound for 10 years. I hope you haven't toss the earphone and try come up with a wild-guess to resuscitate it!

I think this could be contributed by a badly designed earphone. Some BA-driver earphones (e.g. Sony XBA-1, 20, Klipsch X10) had the same issue too, but they recovered after a break. On the other hand, the similarly designed JVC FXD80 and the FXH30 never had this issue at all.

Also, I tend to listen to different earphones (randomly) on different days, and I do not listen the EPH-100 too frequently, which could prolong its life. I rarely experience this issue after listening to different earphones by each days. None of my earphones have dying out by age. I should thank for my dangerous hobby for collecting earphones.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #2,211 of 2,211
a dormant thread resurrected....
I sold a pair of FXT90 to a friend to get a FXZ200 quite a while back. saw this thread alive and dug it up to give it a spin with Sony ZX507. the bass still impresses and it seems to be as the reviews say. I have honestly forgotten about it for a long time. it's like getting a new IEM :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back