JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #541 of 2,211

Quote:
Egaaaaad........You need to warn people that the beginning of this track does not need the volume turned up....scared the cr...... outa me..... Great track eric!

I turned the volume up just before the track started so I could get the full effect...............I got the full effect!!

My bad, cute....lol...But great track for the FXT90, isn't it? More instruction next time my friend. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #542 of 2,211
FlySweep,  Thought I would get back to you regarding the RE262.  I had returned the RE262 when I got the FXT90.....I ordered the RE262 again to confirm what you commented on.  I have had them long enough this time to put over 200 hrs on them between burn in and listening.  I will be returning the RE262 again....not because they compete with the FXT90, but because I like the mids on the GR07 and RE272's better (GR07 edged out RE262 with more hours).  My RE272's have really opened up with near 300 hrs, they are more neutral throughout, better extension on sub bass and treble.....strings on the RE272 really "breathe".  The bass on the RE272 has changed where IMO, they are better at bass (more natural, deep, tight), mids, and treble (clear, extended and smooth) than RE262.  So, I will be keeping the FXT90 because they are differnet than the others.  I like them very much for other reasons.  I will keep FXT90, GR07, and RE272's.....based on what "I" hear...

Thanks for the impressions.. I haven't heard the RE272 but I've read good things about them.. sort of like a more mature, refined RE0.. when the price drops I'll probably look into trying it out (I've been eyeing the HE-300's since they came out).  I like the mids on the GR07 too.. they're quite accurate and with the right tip/depth, the excellent instruments spacing can be appreciated.  The GR07 & RE262's mids certainly share something in common.. a softer, smoother note being one.  Good on you for giving the RE262 another shot, though.  They're phones that I enjoy a lot, but I've certainly got to be "in the mood" for them.. unlike the FXT which I feel like I can listen to at any time.  I like the RE262 with more traditional genres.. classical, acoustic, folk, jazz.. while I grab the FXT for more modern, electronic-infused music.. downtempo, ambient DnB, dusty breakbeat mixes, modern funk, etc.

One thing I'm coming to appreciate more and more with the FXT's treble is how it can be a chameleon of sorts.. I've heard delicate music where a softer, smoother tonality serves the music better.. the FXT can deliver that.. I've heard louder, more aggressive, rough music that like crisp, powerful treble.. and the FXT can deliver that too.  It's something that's becoming more apparent as the phones burn in.. but it's pretty cool nonetheless.  I've got to agree with Eric above.. the FXT's aren't my "favorite" phones (yet), but I simply have a very difficult time taking them off.  It kind of goes back to what I said when I first got them.. they're very tastefully colored.  Not so brash and overbearing, but not too understated.. just the right amount to where they're surprisingly versatile and don't intrude on whatever genre one is listening to.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #543 of 2,211
Any foam tip recommendations? (The stock tips sound great and seal great, but like all silicone tips, bother my ears after a while. I'm looking for a foam which maintains the stock character of the iem, if possible. Certainly I want to keep the amazing highs intact.

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #544 of 2,211

Quote:
I've got to agree with Eric above.. the FXT's aren't my "favorite" phones (yet), but I simply have a very difficult time taking them off.  It kind of goes back to what I said when I first got them.. they're very tastefully colored.  Not so brash and overbearing, but not too understated.. just the right amount to where they're surprisingly versatile and don't intrude on whatever genre one is listening to.

FlySweep, buddy, you another thing I've discovered (or rather I should say hit me yesterday) is how much micro details these FXT90s put out. The layering is so nonchalant and the notes so thick that although micro details are clearly audible one could easily overlook realizing those details are there because of he/or she is just enjoying the sound.

And when I say micro details I mean I'm hearing things done with background vocals (layering, chants, slight laughs and placement) that it seem I haven't heard before in tracks that I've heard so many times. Now, I hear these micro details in my 1964-Q, but the layering sound in this dual dynamic is something (hold on to your seats) that I have the say this universal IEM does better than my beloved custom. Wow, I think I just took the air out of some critics who believe I would never say anything negative about the 1964-Q ...lol (actually I didn't say anything negative about the Quad, but if a product - especially a universal - does something better, I must give credit where credit is due).

Micro details really shine with the proper amplification (just beautiful with the E7/E9 combo), but I hear it also straight out of my iPod Classics and Sony DAP. These deserve a special audio award - in my opinion - for performance.

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #545 of 2,211

Quote:
Any foam tip recommendations? (The stock tips sound great and seal great, but like all silicone tips, bother my ears after a while. I'm looking for a foam which maintains the stock character of the iem, if possible. Certainly I want to keep the amazing highs intact.
Thanks!

AngryBaconGod, I think you can order these separate (I'm not for certain), but the my go-to foam tips (actually go-to tips period right now) for the FXT90 are the Xears foams. They come in orange or black and don't have a core in the middle of them. But they fit the FXT90's wide nozzle perfectly and won't slide off. I think they only come in one size (which is somewhere in between a medium and large foam tip, but leaning toward medium). I get a a deep fit, but better than that is the fact that I feel these tips are the best in allowing all of the micro-details and wonder layering to shine inside of the FXT90.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #547 of 2,211
Nov 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #550 of 2,211

Quote:
how much better are the ftx90 with monster foam tips? they are quite pricey :/

For me, it depends on what size you use. Although I generally prfer the large long stem hybrid foams on most IEMs I use them on, I actually prefer a small/medium (or medium/small) short stem hybrid foam tip on the FXT90. Deepens the bass without muddying it and provides better layering, along with more micro details. I can't guarantee, however, that you will hear the same results.

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #552 of 2,211

OK I fired up my SE215 last night and remembered why I liked them so much (love them mids mmmmm).

So all you FXT90 kewl cats my question is, if the GR07 and the SE215 had a baby would it sound like the FXT90?

Also on my train ride in this morning I again remembered how good the isolation of the SE215 is and am also curious if the FXT90 has a similar level of isolation or at least better than the GR07?

I am hoping the bass is somewhere between the GR07 and the SE215 in terms of impact and volume but with similar texture and detail of the GR07, and the treble is similar to the GR07, while the midrange is a bit more on the forward side and possibly a smidge warmer than the GR07.

Anyway fire away your thoughts especially if you have heard or owned the GR07 and the SE215.

Thanks

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #553 of 2,211

Quote:
Also on my train ride in this morning I again remembered how good the isolation of the SE215 is and am also curious if the FXT90 has a similar level of isolation or at least better than the GR07?

I don't know how it compares with SE215 and GR07's sound.  But isolation-wise, that's definitely not FXT90's strong suit.  FXT90's form factor is actually more similar to those half-in-ear IEMs (like Phiaton PS20), doesn't provide as deep of insertion as Shure models.  I also think there's quite some microphonics from fxt90, especially when compared with over-the-ear IEMs.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #554 of 2,211
Indeed. Isolation is on par with the many vented dynamics, and in turn, is sub-par. As per the microphonics, I concur. Definitely not a strong suit, and to my surprise don't improve all that much even when they're in an over-the-ear fashion.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #555 of 2,211
I think it isolates as good, if not a little better than the GR07 but not by much.  I don't have any issues with microphonics when worn over the ears; of course I don't really have that issue with any phone over the ear, even the Tandem and it's cloth covered cable.

The treble is different from the GR07, which sounds smoother and more relaxed in direct comparison to the FXT90, which is crisper and has more sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back