JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 15, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #526 of 2,211

Quote:
I suppose it's all relative to what's being compared. But if you found the FXT90's aggressive, I wonder what impression the FX700 would have, since they're (comparatively speaking) much more forward in presentation.

In a PM comparing these to RE262s, ClieOS wrote: "The biggest of difference is RE262 is trying to bring you into the music with its effortless and smooth presentation while FXT90 is trying to bring the music to you with big dynamics and forwarded mids. In simpler terms, RE262 wants you to submerge into the music while FXT90 wants you to dance to the music."

That comparison really spoke to me.  On paper, I find the description of the RE262 a lot more attractive, but when I thought about it, the times I most want to feel "submerged in music" are when I'm at home, in recline, relaxing.  Generally, I'm an active listener and don't really listen to music as background, so I figured the JVCs would be a better fit for me (i.e. for use on transit, planes, etc.)

Anyway, I don't mind the shifting consensus when it comes to the signature of the FXT90s, so long as the overall consensus doesn't start to change from "these rock!!" to "these suck!!"  :wink:

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #527 of 2,211
Hmm... I personally don't find the mids all that much forward, rather balanced, considering the overall presentation as a whole. Needless to say, the choice of tips can also make all the difference. The RE262 isn't the best of examples IMO, in that it's the epitome of a mid-centric signature, pushing the mids out much further than say the FXT90. In that sense, I can see where the 262 may force the music onto the listener, while the FXT90 doesn't push forth any one area of the spectrum, and is hence much closer to a balanced sound. The 262, on the other hand, does sound effortlessly smooth, no argument there. 
smile.gif

I can say in all honestly, the FXT90 is a quality product, and not the least bit disappointing. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #528 of 2,211

Quote:
Hmm... I personally don't find the mids all that much forward, rather balanced, considering the overall presentation as a whole. Needless to say, the choice of tips can also make all the difference. The RE262 isn't the best of examples IMO, in that it's the epitome of a mid-centric signature, pushing the mids out much further than say the FXT90. In that sense, I can see where the 262 may force the music onto the listener, while the FXT90 doesn't push forth any one area of the spectrum, and is hence much closer to a balanced sound. The 262, on the other hand, does sound effortlessly smooth, no argument there. 
smile.gif

I can say in all honestly, the FXT90 is a quality product, and not the least bit disappointing. 
biggrin.gif

IMO, I find the FXT90 more genre dependant, than say the RE262 and GR07.  I have many albums that I like better on the FXT90, but there are many that do not play well on them, ie alternative rock (ex. Coldplay shreds my ears, too congested on the FXT90).  To me, the RE262 and GR07 are closer to each other than the FXT90.  Good reasons for keeping all three.  In the past I compared the RE262 to the FXT90, and returned the RE262.  I repurchased the RE262 and I own the RE272 as well, and I can say that both Hifiman IEM's really start to do their thing after 250-300 hours just as Nanchai said..

For me, the FXT90 does very well with albums/tracks that contain well recorded instraments and horns.  I pulled out my Maverick's albums, and the FXT90 does a fantastic job both with Raul Malo's vocals and instraments, best that I have heard them on any IEM......  I prefer the RE272 for all of my Celtic music, Loreena McKennit, Maire Brennan, Clannad, Windham Hill, etc.  The FXT90 doe not do as well with that genre.  Just my opinion though, probably not many on this forum that listen to these genre's.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #531 of 2,211

Quote:
I know this is a bit apples vs. oranges but...how does the HA-FXT90 compare to the Etymotic HF5?

And, while I'm sure no one here besides me has heard these, but might be worth a shot...vs. the SuperFreq?

TIA!

bumppity bump

Am I right in assuming I'll be giving up some treble sparkle and some clarity for warmer, fuller mids and a much more substantial low end?  How much instrument separation and layering would I be giving up, if any?

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #533 of 2,211
Just got some new tips that were advertised as Sennheiser replacement tips.  They have the same size hole as the JVC provided stock tips.  They are also similar in shape as the JVC stock tips.  I ordered large black, but the tips I received are were about the same size as the medium JVC stock tips.  I put them on the FXT90's and they sealed very well.  I just made my FXT90's bass monsters, most bass I have heard out of them or out of my GR07, RE262 and RE272.  Still have the mids, the treble is just slightly less than the JVC stock tips, but the bass is like I set my E11 to "2" boost.  A/Bing between the JVC stock medium and these Sennheiser (?) replacement tips, there is definately a significant bass boost.

So.....there you go, yet another pair of tips rollded in to get a different sound from the FXT90.....but I don't need this much bass for most of what I listen to............

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #535 of 2,211
Quote:
IMO, I find the FXT90 more genre dependant, than say the RE262 and GR07.  I have many albums that I like better on the FXT90, but there are many that do not play well on them, ie alternative rock (ex. Coldplay shreds my ears, too congested on the FXT90).  To me, the RE262 and GR07 are closer to each other than the FXT90.  Good reasons for keeping all three.  In the past I compared the RE262 to the FXT90, and returned the RE262.  I repurchased the RE262 and I own the RE272 as well, and I can say that both Hifiman IEM's really start to do their thing after 250-300 hours just as Nanchai said..

For me, the FXT90 does very well with albums/tracks that contain well recorded instraments and horns.  I pulled out my Maverick's albums, and the FXT90 does a fantastic job both with Raul Malo's vocals and instraments, best that I have heard them on any IEM......  I prefer the RE272 for all of my Celtic music, Loreena McKennit, Maire Brennan, Clannad, Windham Hill, etc.  The FXT90 doe not do as well with that genre.  Just my opinion though, probably not many on this forum that listen to these genre's.

Thank you for the clarification my friend, as to which genres you find they work well with. 
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #536 of 2,211

Quote:
Over 250 hrs.........

Yeah, I suppose that's plenty!  :wink:

My experience with the FXT90 is bound to be different from yours, only because I have very little to compare it to in terms of headphones.  Thankfully, most of the music I listen to is pre-1990, and virtually none of it has the ultra-hyped hallmarks of modern rock/pop production, so I'm hopeful these cans will work reasonably well as all-rounders for me.

That said, if they manage to make Roxy Music's 'Avalon' sound bad, I'm definitely returning them!

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #537 of 2,211
Strange thing.........  I was just listening to Steve Earle, "Never Get Out of This World Alive" album on my FXT90, vocals sounded like I was sitting in the last row of auditorium, instramentals were fine.  I changed to my Hifiman RE262, and they sounded like I was in the fifth row, no real change in the instramentals, same tips on each pair.

Now there is a big difference in two IEM's, IMO..............

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #538 of 2,211

Quote:
I own both the FXT &  the RE262.. My experience with both mirrors ClieOS'.  The RE262's midrange is liquid, but has excellent air, weight, and detail.  The FXT's mids are (relatively) thicker, less articulate, and less balanced.

Strings and horns sound great on both, but I find those instruments to sound less colored, better detailed, and more articulate on the RE262.  Strings simply breathe more on the RE262, to me.. though they sound very lifelike on the FXT too.  Both phones do a nice job of having a forward but not (overly) aggressive midrange.. the RE262's midrange just sound more "mature" to me, though.

FlySweep,  Thought I would get back to you regarding the RE262.  I had returned the RE262 when I got the FXT90.....I ordered the RE262 again to confirm what you commented on.  I have had them long enough this time to put over 200 hrs on them between burn in and listening.  I will be returning the RE262 again....not because they compete with the FXT90, but because I like the mids on the GR07 and RE272's better (GR07 edged out RE262 with more hours).  My RE272's have really opened up with near 300 hrs, they are more neutral throughout, better extension on sub bass and treble.....strings on the RE272 really "breathe".  The bass on the RE272 has changed where IMO, they are better at bass (more natural, deep, tight), mids, and treble (clear, extended and smooth) than RE262.  So, I will be keeping the FXT90 because they are differnet than the others.  I like them very much for other reasons.  I will keep FXT90, GR07, and RE272's.....based on what "I" hear...

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #539 of 2,211
Find a high quality recording of Tower of Power's "You're Still A Young Man...." The layering of the instrumentation is something else in these FXT90s!! Loving it!

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #540 of 2,211

Quote:
Find a high quality recording of Tower of Power's "You're Still A Young Man...." The layering of the instrumentation is something else in these FXT90s!! Loving it!

Egaaaaad........You need to warn people that the beginning of this track does not need the volume turned up....scared the cr...... outa me..... Great track eric!

I turned the volume up just before the track started so I could get the full effect...............I got the full effect!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back