JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #511 of 2,211

Well I agree that mid-bass is minimum.
Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't perceive a strong sense of mid-bass at all? The FXT90's boast significantly more sub-bass than they do mid-bass. Or am I simply hearing them different? Also, where would you fellas say the FXT90's fall; relatively bright/neutral/warm? I'm finding mixed opinions.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #513 of 2,211

The fxt90 is a sidegrade to the GR07. Those looking for a sweeter sound may enjoy it more than the GR07, which is very balanced. I have heard both, and I must say that the fxt90 is very impressive. To me, it's an IEM that's more for enjoying music rather than critical listening. I do however prefer the GR07 for enjoying music, so it's really subjective.
Quote:
I'm currently satisfied with my GR07, and the only thing that makes me want to look at the fxt90 is curiosity. I'm not sure I want to buy one just to see what it's like, since it's not a case of upgraditis (from my se215s to the gr07)

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #514 of 2,211
Personally, I wouldn't characterize going from the GR07 to the FXT90 as a "sidegrade."  Of course, this depends on how one defines the term.  I define sidegrade as moving between two phones which share a significant amount in terms of sound signature (first and foremost) & technical capabilities.  By sound signature, I don't mean just the general shape of the FQ curve.  I'd look at tonality, texturing, presentation, soundstage, etc.  While technical capabilities can be debated, I find the GR07 & FXT not close enough in sound signatures to be deemed a sidegrade (which is why I felt they're more complimentary in nature).

I would characterize going between the EX600 & GR07 as more of a sidegrade than between the FXT90 & GR07.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #515 of 2,211

Quote:
Well, I'll keep listening. I probably just need to burn my ears and head into their character. And maybe there's some real mechanical burn in they need as well.
Underworld (Barking) sounds very good with these.
Despite my issues with the mid-bass so far, I really like these 'phones. They do so much so well, even just out of the box.

How does the 'champaign' look?  You must have ordered with expressing shipping.  Mine just left Hong Kong.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #516 of 2,211

X2
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't characterize going from the GR07 to the FXT90 as a "sidegrade."  Of course, this depends on how one defines the term.  I define sidegrade as moving between two phones which share a significant amount in terms of sound signature (first and foremost) & technical capabilities.  By sound signature, I don't mean just the general shape of the FQ curve.  I'd look at tonality, texturing, presentation, soundstage, etc.  While technical capabilities can be debated, I find the GR07 & FXT not close enough in sound signatures to be deemed a sidegrade (which is why I felt they're more complimentary in nature).

I would characterize going between the EX600 & GR07 as more of a sidegrade than between the FXT90 & GR07.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #517 of 2,211
How does the 'champaign' look?  You must have ordered with expressing shipping.  Mine just left Hong Kong.

It's quite pleasant. It doesn't scream "look at me! look at me!" but it provides a nice break from boring black plastic. It actually looks a bit better than the materials actually are.

Having said that, this one well built IEM. It feels nice and solid.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #518 of 2,211
I'll raise the question again, since it seems to get dodged somehow time and time again. 
tongue.gif

To all FXT90 owners, what would each one of you classify the FXT90 as, relatively bright/neutral/warm sounding?

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #519 of 2,211
Pre-burn-in they are balanced to my ears. They have bright treble and weighty bass. They are exceptionally crisp so maybe bright, but that doesn't mean that the highs are emphasized more than the lows, they're just both emphasized.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #520 of 2,211

Quote:
Pre-burn-in they are balanced to my ears. They have bright treble and weighty bass. They are exceptionally crisp so maybe bright, but that doesn't mean that the highs are emphasized more than the lows, they're just both emphasized.

Add to this the claim that they also have prominent mids, and I'm beginning to get the impression that these phones have a supremely *in your face*, ballsy sound signature--albeit not lacking in poise or fidelity.  I'm getting really excited to hear these things for myself.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #521 of 2,211
Quote:
Add to this the claim that they also have prominent mids, and I'm beginning to get the impression that these phones have a supremely *in your face*, ballsy sound signature--albeit not lacking in poise or fidelity.  I'm getting really excited to hear these things for myself.

To be honest, it's quite the opposite. They're pleasantly laid-back (not to be confused with recessed), and not the least bit aggressive/up-front/intimate. 
smile.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #522 of 2,211
Quote:

To be honest, it's quite the opposite. They're pleasantly laid-back (not to be confused with recessed), and not the least bit aggressive/up-front/intimate. :smile:

Interesting. I double checked the thread title when I read that.

My short time with them has left me thinking that they are aggressive 'phones.

Huh.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #523 of 2,211
I suppose it's all relative to what's being compared. But if you found the FXT90's aggressive, I wonder what impression the FX700 would have, since they're (comparatively speaking) much more forward in presentation.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #524 of 2,211
You may well be right, i2ehan. I guess it also depends on what ideas are evoked when one says, "aggressive."

I'm still trying to come to some comprehension of what these 'phones are all about. Forgive my floundering around as I work it out.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #525 of 2,211

Quote:
I'll raise the question again, since it seems to get dodged somehow time and time again. 
tongue.gif

To all FXT90 owners, what would each one of you classify the FXT90 as, relatively bright/neutral/warm sounding?

I would classify mine slightly on the neutral side, probably because my preference is usually for the fun bassy IEMs with some mid-bass bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back