Just ordered Beyerdynamic Tesla.
Jun 2, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 38
Just ordered a pair myself.  Now, if the Bada would only come out of the shop.  Can't wait to a/b the T1 against the DT880/600.

Thank God!  I just got a job offer from Knoxville, TN; hence, the T1 order.  : ) 

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 38

Quote:
If you don't like the T1 just buy some skullcandies and call it a day
tongue.gif
!  The sound reproduction is of the best I've ever heard.

LOL...I noticed that you picked up the T1s! Way to go....they are pretty amazing aren't they?

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #18 of 38
Thanks for the comments. Seems like it wasn't a complete act of lunacy then, although I'm sure many of the opinions about these are coloured more by their price than the actual merits. Expecting them sometime next week.

It's been a while since I cranked up the Emerald proto, and I intend to christen the T1 using it.

I was also hovering over the ATH-W1000X and the PS-1000, but since I was not a fan of their forebears they seemed like worse buys.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 38
It will be the weeeeeesquirreled DV336SE for me when the T1 arrive.  There is a slim chance that the Bada will be up-and-running, which would be my amp of choice for the T1's homecoming, though.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 38
OK, so it's not a total disaster.

Soundwise, good. Not earth-shattering, but decent. More DT770 in character than the uber-880 it strives to be maybe. Improvement on the HD650? Not sure yet. Certainly more overt definition on offer, but at the expense of borderline sibilance. 

Ergonomically and cosmetically however, a wash. First, in terms of cosmetics and product engineering if you're going to charge 1200 dollars for a phone and you're competing with the ground-up-new HD800, the last thing you want to do is to rice out the DT880... because that's basically what it is. And then to add more weight to it, leaving the ergonomics unchanged. I've worn worse, but this is laziness. Either that, or the designers at beyer are really big closet fans of Princess Leia. 

More later, perhaps.

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #22 of 38
Needs a good solid 120 hours burn-in to sound its best, IMO.

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #24 of 38
Would be pretty expensive, wouldn't it?

In any case - I don't think burn-in changes are radical.  I also think most of it happens in the first 20 hours or so.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #25 of 38
I can't say I dislike them sound-wise. Possibly better all-rounders than the HD650 for the reason of the more overt sense of definition I mentioned earlier... although I'm not sure how it would translate to long-term fatigue. However the sheer mass of this thing though with completely unchanged Beyer ergonomics (which suits something notably lighter) is a problem.

I dunno. Maybe I will have to buy an HD800 to be sure I want to hang around a T1. The only problem though is that I've been reading a lot about the HD800's from different posters ever since they piqued my interest, sometimes looking up their opinions of previous headphones to get a feel for how each poster describes... and they read an awful lot like the Qualias, right from the sonic character to the fact that many people report a better sound with crappy aftermarket cable which lops off the top end.

EDIT: And also, while the herringbone patterning and the cutout earcup supports did appeal to me in the photos, it's somewhat less impressive on receipt... it all feels very perfunctory, especially lining it alongside my other beyers. I realise there's much more going on inside the earcups, but I really was expecting more than a slightly pimped DT in terms of materials and fit. Perhaps my mistake.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #27 of 38
You gotta spend some more time with the T-1's. They obviously get better with hours on them, are vastly superior in build quality that the 770/880's and if you think they have a Princess Leia look to them, then I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the aesthetics of the HD800's.
They're a damn fine phone. Obviously they were more worth it when they were $999. Spoke to a Beyer salesperson who is a friend
of mine and evidently, this price increase was not a pre-meditated thing.

They do most things right, and you will be hard pressed to find a current production model headphone that will do things significantly
better than the T-1's. To me, they are a reference headphone that do most things right. I have about 500 head hours on them.

But, of course, that's my own personal opinion.

Why does this new format skip lines in the middle of sentences when I don't write them that way. Is it a WYSIWYG thing?  
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #28 of 38
I completely agree with immtbiker - they are my absolute favorite dynamic
headphone. They aren't flashy - but they're very natural sounding - in a way most headphones just can't achieve.

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
I completely agree with immtbiker - they are my absolute favorite dynamic
headphone. They aren't flashy - but they're very natural sounding - in a way most headphones just can't achieve.

I third immtbiker and Skylab. Well put gentlemen.
beyersmile.png

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #30 of 38
Based on several people here giving me their recommendations and from other who own the cans I ordered the Tesla T1 today and hopefully will have them midweek. I am looking forward to auditioning them and hopefully they will be what I am looking for to complete my hunger for awhile. Thanks to Skylab,MacedonianHero and Sleepyone for their advice and help. Look forward to posting impressions when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back