Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #10,126 of 11,345
Why not see if there is a local place that you can DIY sandblast/walnut husk it. There's one here in my  town I think it is a minimum $15 charge
http://www.blastityourself.ca/

In the past I have also removed anodizing ( in my case a blue color ) with Superclean spray ( Canadian Tire etc ) but it is super caustic and use in a ventilated area. It will involve also repolishing the final result if it is aluminum since aluminum will go white in spots. Though if you hit that with some buffing rouge and a final polish/seal like the Autosol it will look like chrome.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #10,128 of 11,345
ooops I always assume shiny is best.  I guess powdercoat then so long as it isn't too thick. Wonder if there is a DIY method for that.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #10,129 of 11,345
I recently got a T50RP and did the mods. I found the bass a bit much and the treble a bit too bright. I reverted back to stock, except I left the cotton in. I have to say I prefer the T50RP as is. The balance seems just about right to my ears, sort of like a planar loudspeaker.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #10,130 of 11,345
I just bought this cable to replace the stock one that started flaking out on me -> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=2

The plug isn't right-angled but it fits...I have another monoprice cable with that same 3.5mm end and it fit perfectly, so I ordered it last night. I was going to get a V-MODA cable, but this was 10 bucks cheaper and monoprice has a lifetime warranty on their cables.

It does look a little silly having the plug/cord stick an inch to the side but I just wear these at my desktop, so nobody will be laughing at me.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #10,133 of 11,345
I've modified my T50 Rp, and I could say that I''m pretty satisfied with them right now. I'm using Shure 940 pads instead of 840 (just because I already have). Among my headphones I can say that they share the same quality level of Dt880 600 Ohm and Hd650. Just better than SRH 940 and Dt770 pro 80 imho. Absolutely not fatiguing, but well detailed and natural.

I would like to make the head-stage a little bigger, any idea? I cannot find it here, could you hep please?

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #10,134 of 11,345
Quote:
I've modified my T50 Rp, and I could say that I''m pretty satisfied with them right now. I'm using Shure 940 pads instead of 840 (just because I already have). Among my headphones I can say that they share the same quality level of Dt880 600 Ohm and Hd650. Just better than SRH 940 and Dt770 pro 80 imho. Absolutely not fatiguing, but well detailed and natural.

I would like to make the head-stage a little bigger, any idea? I cannot find it here, could you hep please?

The easiest way to get a bit more soundstage is to "stuff" just under the earpad with cottonballs, tissue, foam, etc,  You can try a few different methods, but I always found angling the drivers to mimic Denon or Stax pads works the best.  Alternatively, I created a method of stacking srh940/1440/1840 pads ontop of the stock pads to create an effect of what I like to call "super sound stage".  It mimics the "airy" signature of the HD580/600/650.  The caveat to this, is the Tx0rps become very difficult to fine tune, and the velour pads tend to "suck up" all the bass.  I was working with BMF to get the best results from these pads and he tried everything in his bag of tricks, but they just would never sound as good as srh840 pads.

I encourage everyone to try pad stacking just because it's so easy to do and really changes the sound in a fun way.  If you have a decent amp, this method can really add a beautiful soundstage while keeping the "liquid mids" that well all have come to love from this driver.  I don't think pad stacking is a permanent solution, just a fun idea to try out.

You can search this thread for "stacked" or "srh1440" or srh1840" to find more information on the above topics.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #10,135 of 11,345
Thanks mrscotchguy, I will try some stacking

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #10,136 of 11,345
Quote:
I just bought this cable to replace the stock one that started flaking out on me -> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=2

The plug isn't right-angled but it fits...I have another monoprice cable with that same 3.5mm end and it fit perfectly, so I ordered it last night. I was going to get a V-MODA cable, but this was 10 bucks cheaper and monoprice has a lifetime warranty on their cables.

It does look a little silly having the plug/cord stick an inch to the side but I just wear these at my desktop, so nobody will be laughing at me.

So does is the plug in the headphones a 3.5mm with a right angle and a locking mech.? So any cable small enough would work?

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #10,137 of 11,345
Quote:
So does is the plug in the headphones a 3.5mm with a right angle and a locking mech.? So any cable small enough would work?

The cable I ordered is just a plain 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable with small ends. There's no right angle on the ends so it will end up sticking out similar to the cable on Pars' headphones (please note that he's replaced the stock 3.5mm jack with a mini-xlr jack but this still illustrates that the cable will stick out straight an inch or so and won't be right angled).

There's no locking mechanism with the monoprice cable but the plug fits snugly enough that I'm not concerned. I'll post a pic once I get the cable.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #10,138 of 11,345
Quote:
yay.... just picked up 2 t50rp's at a garage sale for dirt cheap, a 3rd off the forums, some other head-fiers leftover modding stuff and 840 pads.....figured since i have an extra pair of hm5 pads (jaycar ones) id give this a go.  can anyone tell me how wide the wall of the cup well is.... the area in the red circle.  I wanna do a dual entry quick release with either mini jacks or mini xlrs.  And no im not just lazy..... i cant measure them myself because while they're at home.... im at the hospital.  I'd like to be able to order the connectors asap.....tia

I am using a 4-pin mini-xlr on one pair of mine right now. The jack is currently in place of the stock jack. It seems that there is enough room where you have placed the red circle, or on the other side, underneath the stock jack, for the mini-xlr. I plan on moving mine soon to one of those 2 locations. Drill size for the mini-xlr is 7/16" IIRC. If you are using mini 1/8" jacks, you should have plenty of room. I don't like any mini jack I have ever used, so wanted to go to the XLR for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back