Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #9,151 of 11,346
I got my fostex T50 modded by MayflowerElectronics.
Anyway, I found it comfortable but could still be improved and I did this.. lol..

1) Put the stock pads on top of the Shure840 pads
2) Stuff a thin sponge shaped like a crescent onto the earpads to give it a lift ala Sennheiser HD518.
3) Added a sponge onto the headband for more comfort.

The sound is as described. Dark background with good details. With Mod 1), Bass is improved and comparable to the AKG Q701 I owned. Mod 2) The soundstage improved tremendously like my Sennheiser HD518(modelled after it actually). Mod 3) makes the top of the head not so sore after wearing it for prolonged hours (>2hrs).

Things to improve on :- Anyone has any idea how to increased the airy-ness of the phones? When i swtiched back to my AKG and Senn, my ears feel so relaxed with the breathing space.. My t50 has all the vents closed. Would opening all of them make it better?

Asthetics? I don't care. 

[size=10.909090995788574px]Confidence : When you wear sponges on your head and you think you looked good.[/size]

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #9,152 of 11,346
Initial impressions of my DIY T50RP are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/75#post_8658864

They keep getting better as they burn in. Have been having great results with a Pioneer SACD player and Schiit Asgard, as well as plugged directly into my Denon AVR-3312Ci receiver steaming FLAC.

For Jazz, Bluegrass, Rock........all unbelievable. IMO, nothing touches modded T50RP until about the $400 mark (a.k.a HE400). Male and female vocals are outstanding. And so much for fancy headphone cables. I was never a believer in cable upgrades and the 50RP's just re-enforce my thinking. How can something sound so good with ridiculously cheap cabling. Thin, no gold contacts, etc.. Totally blows the concept to smithereens.

I can literally wear T50 for hours, no fatigue whatsoever. I can't wear my $250 un-modded MS2i or any other Grado I owned (except PS500) for more than an hour without major fatigue.

I have another set arriving and will mod them to the latest Bluemonkeyflyer mods with the proper materials. I am still dumbfounded by the transformation.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #9,153 of 11,346
I'm about to have my phones modded by Mayflower. so your post was helpful. I was thinking of getting the 940 pads instead of the 840. Have you considered this also. Did you try putting the shure pads on the stock pads? If so how did that sound? Also, where did you stuff the crescent shape sponge. I think something else got cut off. Please message me with any mods you may do as I am at the same starting point. Also, considered get the Senheisser 580 band was another option for comfort.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #9,156 of 11,346
I think I'm going to try the DBV # 2 mod as final modification process.  I've done the BMF 8.1, the mods that Dan (MrSpeakers) used to provide details on up until he became a MOT with the Mad Dogs.  I have a bit of nirvana with these things that I want to achieve -- to the point of where I'm satisfied.  Then, I think I may go into Fostex retirement. 
wink.gif
  It has been a great journey, but I've realized I don't have the same capability with my hands and small screwdrivers as I once did.  

I do have a referral to a neurologist, which I should follow-through on.  The doc thinks it's carpal tunnel that I have, but I dread it as I make my money with my hands.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #9,158 of 11,346
Quote:
Who is that elusive Dmitry? :)

I'm not sure.  I saw it referenced a few pages back.  However, it should be DBV, as in -- DBV # 2.  This is how BlueMonkeyFlyer  has referred to the latest iteration of the build / modify process.  The DBV was just a different letter / number scheme that Keith has come up with to keep track of the various modification processes that he has spawned off of the original BFM #.#.

Here is the link - read through the first post for a better description of what the DBV # 2 entails:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #9,159 of 11,346
Heads up:

Comparing Paradox with the BMF's Keith re tuned for me goes like this:

First I want to make it clear that I prefer the BMFs for critical listing and the Paradox for fun listing - Here's why:

Keith got these to have a more flat response while opening up the soundstage even more.  I don't understand all the mod language but the re tuned BMF's are much clearer, more crisp.  The treble is one area that has improved tremendously.  Where the Paradox seems like it's more focused on Bass the BMF's seem more focused on great sounding treble.  Where the Paradox has a hump in the lower and upper mids the BMF's keeps the response more on an even keel.  While the Paradox may be consider a funner headphone experience I consider the BMFs to be a more accurate experience kind of like a listeners headphone.  If I were to compare the two to other headphones it would go like this:

Paradox = LCD-2, Denon AH-D7000.  (Fun, more bass, mids bleeds a little)

BMF = HD800, Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 (Accurate, great treble, great mids, bass is tight and flat)

Needless to say after the HE-6 my favorite headphones are the HD800s, AD2Ks, BMFs..  All produce very good and accurate treble mids are great and the bass response is on the flatter side.  

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #9,160 of 11,346
A big thanks for the comparison to other high end cans.

I think this will really help people,  and the excellent clarification between these two impressive mods!  Can't hurt to have both it would seem !

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #9,161 of 11,346

Heads up:

Comparing Paradox with the BMF's Keith re tuned for me goes like this:

First I want to make it clear that I prefer the BMFs for critical listing and the Paradox for fun listing - Here's why:

Keith got these to have a more flat response while opening up the soundstage even more.  I don't understand all the mod language but the re tuned BMF's are much clearer, more crisp.  The treble is one area that has improved tremendously.  Where the Paradox seems like it's more focused on Bass the BMF's seem more focused on great sounding treble.  Where the Paradox has a hump in the lower and upper mids the BMF's keeps the response more on an even keel.  While the Paradox may be consider a funner headphone experience I consider the BMFs to be a more accurate experience kind of like a listeners headphone.  If I were to compare the two to other headphones it would go like this:

Paradox = LCD-2, Denon AH-D7000.  (Fun, more bass, mids bleeds a little)

BMF = HD800, Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 (Accurate, great treble, great mids, bass is tight and flat)

Needless to say after the HE-6 my favorite headphones are the HD800s, AD2Ks, BMFs..  All produce very good and accurate treble mids are great and the bass response is on the flatter side.  

I had a different impression of the Paradox. I heard the LCD-2 R2 and the Paradox on the same day and I found the Paradox more accurate. In fact, I found the LCD-2 a little darker, though perhaps with a little bit of more air (consider the Paradox is closed and the LCD-2 is an open design). I also found the Paradox superior to the HD800 in regards to frequency response balance (specially the lower tremble region and the lower bass).
Bellow are some measurements that show the Paradox and LCD-2 frequency response measurements (R2 and R1) as reference. Your experience may be a little different depending on which LCD-2 you heard:
Paradox:

LCD-2 R2

LCD-2 R1 

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #9,162 of 11,346
BTW. Here is a different take on your cross-post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/90#post_8669723):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/90#post_8669879

I'll have to agree with Donunus, perhaps you prefer a little emphasis in the tremble region while a little insensitive to lower bass roll off, and slightly recessed mids? There is nothing wrong with that at all, but those headphones don't seem 100% accurate or bass flat, which are frequency response relative terms...

AD2000

HD800

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #9,164 of 11,346
Quote:
Same ^^

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/95#post_8669879

Nope.

I was trying to show you the similarities between the HD800 and the AD2000 (though the HD800 is a more netural can by comparison than the AD2000) since you group them as your favorites. Donunus was trying to show you the strong differences between the Paradox and the AD2000 in terms of frequency response.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #9,165 of 11,346
Well, ok I didn't even say the AD2K sound like the Paradox.  I was just saying the BMF remind me of the AD2K.  Not by a graph but by my ears.  Also I just said they was one of my favorites.  

What's the question in all of this?

Are you a graph first listen later person?  

Do you own all said headphones or have you listen to them for a good amount of time?  I'm just asking to get a perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back