Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #9,166 of 11,345
Quote:
Well, ok I didn't even say the AD2K sound like the Paradox.  I was just saying the BMF remind me of the AD2K.  Not by a graph but by my ears.  Also I just said they was one of my favorites.  

What's the question in all of this?

Are you a graph first listen later person?  

Do you own all said headphones or have you listen to them for a good amount of time?  I'm just asking to get a perspective.

Agreed. You implied that the AD2K sounded like the HD800 (by grouping them together under similar sound signature), and while I sort of disagree (I find the HD800 more accurate than the AD2K), I can see some sort of similarities.

Like I said before, I listened to the Paradox, the HD800, and LCD-2 the same day, and found the Paradox more accurate and neutral, and the graphs seem to agree, what can I say.

BTW did you listen to the Paradox, the LCD-2 and HD800 by a "good amount of time"? I'm also just asking to get a perspective.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #9,167 of 11,345
@preproman

I find those impressions a bit curious. I have not heard the BMF mod that you have, but I have the LCD2r2 and have extensively heard the D7000 and Paradox. IMO, the Paradox sounds nothing like the aforementioned headphones. My impressions mirror what ultrabike said. 

The Paradox extends very well into the bass, but is very well balanced with respect to the rest of the spectrum -- unlike the recessed mids of the D7000 or the shelved treble of the LCD-2. It actually may be the most balanced headphone I've heard, and I prefer it over the LCD2 and D7000. I certainly wouldn't qualify it as a "fun" headphone in the traditional sense of the term on Head-Fi -- but it is "fun" in the way that its uncolored and gets out of the way of enjoying your music.

It's funny that you mention the HD800 as more "accurate". I own the HD800 and would definitely qualify it well north of neutral, as it has an undeniable treble-emphasis. 

It seems on Head-Fi that there is a misconception that bright, treble-emphasized headphones are accurate or neutral. Its probably a result of the backlash from the bass-heavy Beats sector -- and wanting to identify with a sound signature as far away from that as possible. But certainly many headphones that are often touted as neutral -- ie, HD800, T1, K701 -- simply aren't so. 

Seriously, if your Paradox sounds like the LCD2 or D7000, it is likely out-of-spec (maybe damage from shipping?) and I would send them back to LFF to evaluate them. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #9,168 of 11,345
Quote:
Agreed. You implied that the AD2K sounded like the HD800 (by grouping them together under similar sound signature), and while I sort of disagree (I find the HD800 more accurate than the AD2K), I can see some sort of similarities.

Like I said before, I listened to the Paradox, the HD800, and LCD-2 the same day, and found the Paradox more accurate and neutral, and the graphs seem to agree, what can I say.

BTW did you listen to the Paradox, the LCD-2 and HD800 by a "good amount of time"? I'm also just asking to get a perspective.

No I implied that the BMF reminds me of the AD2K and the HD800.  I also just said that the HD800 and the AD2K was my favorite.  But I can see how you can think I did by grouping them together.  My bad.  

Yes I own and live with all.  Listen to all for numerous amounts of hours.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #9,169 of 11,345
Quote:
@preproman

I find those impressions a bit curious. I have not heard the BMF mod that you have, but I have the LCD2r2 and have extensively heard the D7000 and Paradox. IMO, the Paradox sounds nothing like the aforementioned headphones. My impressions mirror what ultrabike said. 

The Paradox extends very well into the bass, but is very well balanced with respect to the rest of the spectrum -- unlike the recessed mids of the D7000 or the shelved treble of the LCD-2. It actually may be the most balanced headphone I've heard, and I prefer it over the LCD2 and D7000. I certainly wouldn't qualify it as a "fun" headphone in the traditional sense of the term on Head-Fi -- but it is "fun" in the way that its uncolored and gets out of the way of enjoying your music.

It's funny that you mention the HD800 as more "accurate". I own the HD800 and would definitely qualify it well north of neutral, as it has an undeniable treble-emphasis. 

It seems on Head-Fi that there is a misconception that bright, treble-emphasized headphones are accurate or neutral. Its probably a result of the backlash from the bass-heavy Beats sector -- and wanting to identify with a sound signature as far away from that as possible. But certainly many headphones that are often touted as neutral -- ie, HD800, T1, K701 -- simply aren't so. 

Seriously, if your Paradox sounds like the LCD2 or D7000, it is likely out-of-spec (maybe damage from shipping?) and I would send them back to LFF to evaluate them. 

I'm I entitled to my own opinion?  

With the amps I use the HD800 does not reflect an undeniable treble-emphasis sorry.  "You" might not qualify them as fun - But "I" do.  This is just IMHO.  I don't no what amps you have.  But I know those graphs was not measured off my amps.  The balanced B22, balanced M^3, GS-1 (not so much).  These amps just let set back listen for hours and feel the music.  I was using the LCD and D7000 as a point of references IMO not as a direct comparison. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #9,170 of 11,345
Quote:

No I implied that the BMF reminds me of the AD2K and the HD800.  I also just said that the HD800 and the AD2K was my favorite.  But I can see how you can think I did by grouping them together.  My bad.  

Yes I own and live with all.  Listen to all for numerous amounts of hours.

an awesome collection of phones, preproman ... congrats!
now you need to add: fostex th-900, stax sr-009 to complete the stable
wink_face.gif

as for the ensuing 'dialogue', these are:   your phones, your equipment, your music ... your impressions ... enuf said ... thnx for that.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #9,171 of 11,345
Quote:

I'm I entitled to my own opinion?  

With the amps I use the HD800 does not reflect an undeniable treble-emphasis sorry.  "You" might not qualify them as fun - But "I" do.  This is just IMHO.  I don't no what amps you have.  But I know those graphs was not measured off my amps.  The balanced B22, balanced M^3, GS-1 (not so much).  These amps just let set back listen for hours and feel the music.  I was using the LCD and D7000 as a point of references IMO not as a direct comparison. 

If I came off as direct or confrontational, my apologies because I didn't mean to. I'm simply trying to offer a counterpoint to yours. 

No one said the HD800 isn't fun. Its actually my favorite headphone driven out of my Super 7 -- and I'd definitely qualify it as "fun". 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you're making factual statements like the HD800 or AD2000 has flatter bass than the Paradox (paraphrasing), then I'd like to reserve the right to offer a rebuttal. As verified by the graphs that Ultrabike posted, the Paradox has flatter bass that extends further, while the HD800 and AD2000 starts rolling off in the sub-bass. 

I can't argue with you if you say you find the Paradox more "fun" than the HD800 (statement of opinion), but I can argue if you claim the AD2000 has flatter bass than the Paradox (statement of fact). 
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #9,172 of 11,345
Quote:
an awesome collection of phones, preproman ... congrats!
now you need to add: fostex th-900, stax sr-009 to complete the stable
wink_face.gif

as for the ensuing 'dialogue', these are:   your phones, your equipment, your music ... your impressions ... enuf said ... thnx for that.

Thanks geetarman49,

Yes - I got my eyes on the TH900 and the W3000ANV - no stax for me.  That's a different ball game.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #9,173 of 11,345
Quote:
If I came off as direct or confrontational, my apologies because I didn't mean to. I'm simply trying to offer a counterpoint to yours. 

No one said the HD800 isn't fun. Its actually my favorite headphone driven out of my Super 7 -- and I'd definitely qualify it as "fun". 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you're making factual statements like the HD800 or AD2000 has flatter bass than the Paradox (paraphrasing), then I'd like to reserve the right to offer a rebuttal. As verified by the graphs that Ultrabike posted, the Paradox has flatter bass that extends further, while the HD800 and AD2000 starts rolling off in the sub-bass. 

I can't argue with you if you say you find the Paradox more "fun" than the HD800 (statement of opinion), but I can argue if you claim the AD2000 has flatter bass than the Paradox (statement of fact). 
wink.gif

This is just all IMHO - no facts.  Just to be clear hear.  I love the Paradox - that's a fact..

beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #9,176 of 11,345
Can someone tell me how easy/difficult it is to remove the driver assembly? And what are the dimensions? I'm considering a potential transplant but am not sure if it will fit...

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #9,177 of 11,345
Quote:
Can someone tell me how easy/difficult it is to remove the driver assembly? And what are the dimensions? I'm considering a potential transplant but am not sure if it will fit...

If you look at this schematic, part 15 "KA headphone capsule" is the driver. From the edge of the membrane (with soldering pads) to the edge of the far screw hole, it's 78 mm. In the other dimension, spanning the two screw holes on either side, it's 70 mm.  

I've never tried to transplant the drivers myself, but I think Smeggy, in his Thunderpants, cut the driver and a section of the baffle away from the rest of the headphones. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #9,178 of 11,345
I could have sworn I read somewhere in here someone managed to pop the driver assembly off the baffle. Anyone?

This may be moot though, as it might be too large to fit the shell I have in mind. Hmm...

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #9,179 of 11,345
Quote:
I could have sworn I read somewhere in here someone managed to pop the driver assembly off the baffle. Anyone?

This may be moot though, as it might be too large to fit the shell I have in mind. Hmm...

I'm pretty sure the driver just unscrews off the baffle. No need for anything spectacular or treacherous.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #9,180 of 11,345
Here's wje's post on how he removed the driver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back