Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #6,661 of 11,345
Quote:

Haha, OK. Will do. Any chance you have measurements to compare the difference?

Not handy, but I did test and it added output in the 3-5k range where almost all the mods Tyll has tested have a bit of drop....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #6,662 of 11,345

Quote:
Sigh...cant decide between Fischer FA-003, Beyer velour DT770, and Hifiman earpads.  Thoughts anyone?  These would be replacing the stock Fostex pads on Smeggy TP1s.  

Lost in pad picking hell...
confused.gif

I believe Twinster opted for the Hifiman pads, but some possible issues.  You might want to check his postings in this thread for a few more details.  Taking one of the pads off of your list might make the process easier.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #6,664 of 11,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Sigh...cant decide between Fischer FA-003, Beyer velour DT770, and Hifiman earpads.  Thoughts anyone?  These would be replacing the stock Fostex pads on Smeggy TP1s.  

Lost in pad picking hell...
confused.gif

I believe Twinster opted for the Hifiman pads, but some possible issues.  You might want to check his postings in this thread for a few more details.  Taking one of the pads off of your list might make the process easier.

Very much so.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/6210#post_8124237
And surely did mrspeakers also say it was no good back then.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/6120#post_8117065

There was some talk about the velours back then also... don't remember what came of it :S

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #6,666 of 11,345
LFF loves the Fischer.  Never tried it, but start there.  Feel free to PM me if you find an easy source.  I'd like to try a set out...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #6,667 of 11,345

Quote:
LFF loves the Fischer.  Never tried it, but start there.  Feel free to PM me if you find an easy source.  I'd like to try a set out...

I got mine from FrogBeats.  BMF posted about two locations where you can get the pads earlier.  FrogBeats was one of them.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #6,668 of 11,345
Just keep in mind the Fischer pads definitely aren't a standard fit and you will need to sew them to something (LFF used socks and I'm following his lead on that). 

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #6,669 of 11,345

Quote:
Just keep in mind the Fischer pads definitely aren't a standard fit and you will need to sew them to something (LFF used socks and I'm following his lead on that). 

I just got a pair of HM5 pads in on Thursday to replace my 840 pads.  They're a definite improvement, just working on retuning the fostex to suit them a bit better.  If anyone has a suggestions for decreasing mid-bass (without covering the back of the driver or also losing sub bass) it'd be really helpful.

Here's a picture.  I have mine painstakingly stretched over the baffles and screwed on.  I also have plasticine around the lip of my baffle, so the seal around the outside when these things are closed is intense.  Even after taking off the four baffle screws, it's crazy-hard to get them reopened.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #6,670 of 11,345

Quote:
I just got a pair of HM5 pads in on Thursday to replace my 840 pads.  They're a definite improvement, just working on retuning the fostex to suit them a bit better.  If anyone has a suggestions for decreasing mid-bass (without covering the back of the driver or also losing sub bass) it'd be really helpful.

Here's a picture.  I have mine painstakingly stretched over the baffles and screwed on.  I also have plasticine around the lip of my baffle, so the seal around the outside when these things are closed is intense.  Even after taking off the four baffle screws, it's crazy-hard to get them reopened.

Where did you get it :D

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #6,671 of 11,345
I have the intention to buy or build an O2 amp to pair with these eventually, but on the offchance I get too impatient before ODA/ODAC designs are made available what is there in the way of budget DACs to pair with an O2?  I've heard Fiio D3/D5 mentioned, and of course the dark lord still has feelings for the behringer uca202.  Wondering if anyone else can make any firsthand recommendations.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #6,672 of 11,345

Quote:
I have the intention to buy or build an O2 amp to pair with these eventually, but on the offchance I get too impatient before ODA/ODAC designs are made available what is there in the way of budget DACs to pair with an O2?  I've heard Fiio D3/D5 mentioned, and of course the dark lord still has feelings for the behringer uca202.  Wondering if anyone else can make any firsthand recommendations.

You'd probably just wanna use the UCA202 as a temporary DAC, if you wanted to get the ODAC later on...of course you'd need a separate amp to use with it, since it's pretty much worthless as an amp.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #6,673 of 11,345

Quote:
Anyone tuning these with stock pads? My friend gave me his to play with and I'm having a hard time getting the stock pads to sound right.

I'm pretty shocked at how much difference just the pads make. The stock ones are so mid-forward -- once I slap on the 840 pads, everything fits into place much better.

Greetings Marvin, how goes it?

As you know my pair with the stock pads were quite mid forward, and the 840 pads fixed that. I'd be curious to know how they measure now, but before I started using the 840 pads I removed some of the felt on the ear side of the baffle and surrounded the exposed driver with paxmate. That balanced things out quite a bit, and eliminated the spikiness in the mids as well.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #6,674 of 11,345

Quote:

Audio GD, NFB12. Much better than Fiio/Behringer, plus, it's a DAC/AMP combo. I have one and it sounds great with my modded T50RPs. The DAC is better than anything available for 2-3X the price and the amp is just as good as the O2, albeit somewhat warmer and slightly rolled off in the high end, but with better bass. The latest version features 9 different digital filters/sample rates,etc so you can adjust it to suit your particular likes/dislikes. You may find the NFB12 is all you need for the Fostex, as I have, however some prefer the more neutral sound of the O2 amp. If you get the NFB12, and decide to get an O2, you will still have one of the best DAC's for the money, and 2 of the best SS amps available for the Fostex. There is an ongoing thread here on Headfi detailing this unit. Retail is $200 plus $40 shipping from China. Highly recommended IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back