Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #6,691 of 11,345

Quote:
Did anyone see Joelpearce's mod? The rock wool seems very interesting, also, does the clay act like dynamat, by reducing distortion and increasing bass or even better?

I was just in these again this weekend a bit (I know, I said I was done).  Removing the felt and replacing it with a layer of poly quilt batting (just enough to prevent the rock wool from shedding into the driver) has really unleashed the energy from this pair.

Anyone who is using cotton balls really should give insulation a try.  Awesome stuff.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #6,692 of 11,345

Quote:
Hm... has anyone actually even tried HD600/650 pads on? the earpads not the headband ones.
They're the only ones available locally and, well, if they're decent I may give them a try, rather than leaving my poor portable padless.

Or I guess the shape and size just completely does not work out?

I sealed them to the baffle of my T50rp.  Nice airy upper mids and treble.  But very difficult to get any bass whatsoever.  Not recommended unless you're hardcore.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #6,693 of 11,345
Just ordered mine today. Should be here next week. Hope it's as good as you guys are saying.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #6,694 of 11,345

Quote:
Does anyone have a stock T50rp they don't want/need?  I want to try out my current mod with the stock driver paper intact to compare to what I'm doing now.  I could buy or trade you a pair that has the driver paper removed, and I could include Akasa foam and damping advice :wink: 

I just missed the one in the f/s forums...

Buy a pair of T20RPs from B&H Photo.  Same drivers, same cup size - no felt on the bass vents and silver slider rods instead of gold.  The headband and ear cups are the same, too.  About $60.00 is their price.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #6,695 of 11,345
I'm not convinced they are the same and I'm hoping to finish some mods I can share with ya'll so I want them to be repeatable. 
cool.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #6,696 of 11,345

Quote:
I'm not convinced they are the same and I'm hoping to finish some mods I can share with ya'll so I want them to be repeatable. 
cool.gif

popcorn.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #6,700 of 11,345
I'm gonna go ahead and grab a pair of T20RPs, just for the hell of it. I plan on making another set before too long, and this way I can do it before the T20s become an endangered species as well.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #6,701 of 11,345

Quote:
cool.gif

I wasn't truly convinced either.  However, about 5 pages back, the other members clarified some things for me to ensure they were the same.  I received my pair last week and the first thing I did was take out one of the baffles from the driver cup to confirm the same driver.  This is when I noticed the bass holes were not covered with felt.  Also, I compared cup sizes when holding them next to my T50RPs.  Don't doubt me for too long ... before you know it, the T20RP MKIIs will be sold out like the T50RPs and we won't see any stock for a month or more.

Also, I noticed that the T20RP also had the MK II silk screen lettering on the cups as well as being printed on the box.  This wasn't present on the T50RPs that I purchased --- yet, so many T50RPs were sold, nearly every vendor selling them has been selling the new stock over the past year or so.  I guess Fostex just failed to update the silk screen lettering on the cups of the T50RPs as well as the printing on the box.

Mine are just sitting in the box for the time being until I have a few hours to start working on some mods for them.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #6,702 of 11,345
I'd give the T20RP's a chance, if not the T40RP. That would have saved me a bit of $$ :S oh well, what gives lol, I like mines anyway.

I think T50RP's are still in stock in Canada but that's about 99$ + tax at cheapest or something. If anyone is desperate enough I can go confirm the stock.

Meanwhile with the earpads, I went back to the stock ones for now. Compared to my supra-aural earpads that gave me a nice increase in mid and low bass, they closed up the soundstage and made the sound VERY dark. Didn't really notice it that much (had a hunch) until I tried on my brother's Q701 again... ouch :S seems my current mod is just dark, though not as dark anymore with stock pads. I didn't fill the innards with cotton, I used crumpled up sheets of driver-stock-white-felt-like things. Next I will try something else to check if that's what's making it so dark.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #6,703 of 11,345
Performanceaudio.com still has them for $74.  They were backordered but they just got some in.  I ordered my second pair on Friday and they are to arrive this Friday.  Just a heads up.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #6,704 of 11,345
Thought I'd update the thread on my pad hunting adventures since I've asked a ton of questions on the topic lately. 

I ultimately decided to bite the bullet and order the brown STAX SR-007 (O2) pads from joynetcafe on eBay, which are supposed to ship today (Feb 28).  Once I have them, and they're successfully fitted, I'll share my impressions on these versus the Fostex stock (old style, not newer, crappier ones) that I've had up to this point.  

Anyhow, many thanks for all the advice from folks here throughout my search for new pads.  Hopefully these will be the first and last pads I transplant to my TP1s.  As far as that goes, about how difficult is it to swap Fostex for O2, once they come in?  Are there any walkthrough docs or videos on the process by chance?  

I'm also going to try to implement the head-suspension band mod LFF was kind enough to describe earlier, but that'll likely be the only mod I attempt on my own.  Down the road though, my next goal will be to buy a spare, stock T50RP and do all sorts of DIY experimenting on that one.  I just love my TP1s too much to risk damaging them.     

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #6,705 of 11,345
Does anyone have this album?

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD090368025029

I'm thinking about purchasing it, but I wanted to know anyone else's take on it.  Specifically with reference to how it sounds on their modified T50RP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back