Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #6,706 of 11,346
Several weeks back, I realized B&H Photo was sold out of the T50RP headphones.  I added my name to the section where they'd e-mail me when the item was back in stock.  I just received an update from B&H indicating they finally have stock.  However ... $99.99. 
triportsad.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #6,707 of 11,346
Several weeks back, I realized B&H Photo was sold out of the T50RP headphones.  I added my name to the section where they'd e-mail me when the item was back in stock.  I just received an update from B&H indicating they finally have stock.  However ... $99.99.  :triportsad:

Yeah, just got that too. I've already ordered my T20s from them, so they can take their inflated price for the T50s and stick it. :wink:

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #6,708 of 11,346
I just went to B&H and it showed 129.99!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

edit-- nvm, I just saw the 'click to see' price, and that came up 99.99.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #6,709 of 11,346
Wow, I also got the email this afternoon but when I clicked on the link it was still showing it for $83.99 and B&H.  Must have gone up shortly after.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #6,713 of 11,346
For me, three things brought out the treble:
1. Furniture puck on center column (to fine tune, cut to whatever size you want).
2. Furniture pick bar on back of driver (a small little bar made of felt material I got in my pack of furniture pucks).
3. Clay to bass ports inside, tape to bass ports on outside. Covered 3 1/4 of the bass ports (per side).

Don't do all three, they'll make the headphones super bright, I'd look and see which combo suits you best. I did the bass ports and furniture puck. Made them great in the mids, best metal cans I own.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #6,716 of 11,346

Quote:
How do you increase the treble extension on the T50's? I'm guessing the transpore tape mod, but are there any other mods that may also help? Damn magnetic polar cans and their treble!
redface.gif

I have Beyer gel earpads with foam/cotton stuffing under them, rising them by about 4-5 mm, 3 2/3 taped bass ports, luffa sponge on rear of the driver and random cardboard thing on center column to reduce reflections. Very flat (by ear) treble, sans 11 kHz peak, till at leas 16 kHz, after that it falls down. Or maybe just my ear sensitivity does.

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #6,717 of 11,346

Quote:
Several weeks back, I realized B&H Photo was sold out of the T50RP headphones.  I added my name to the section where they'd e-mail me when the item was back in stock.  I just received an update from B&H indicating they finally have stock.  However ... $99.99. 
triportsad.gif

That's how much I had to buy them for in Canada...that's Long & McQuade's normal price.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #6,718 of 11,346

Quote:
How do you increase the treble extension on the T50's? I'm guessing the transpore tape mod, but are there any other mods that may also help? Damn magnetic polar cans and their treble!
redface.gif

Do you have much burn-in time on the drivers?  They might change slightly in their sound signature over time.  Plus, the stuffing that you install in the cups can have a direct effect, too, on the treble.  Finally, some attention could be paid to the cable, too.  If you use something of good quality (e.g. Mogami)  - you might realize a general improvement in sound that will address your desires so that you don't have to perform any additional tasks such as applying a rubber dot on the back of the driver.  Again, these are just a few considerations for thought.

Quote:
That's how much I had to buy them for in Canada...that's Long & McQuade's normal price.

Yeah, but B&H used to be somewhere in the range of $74.99.   Also, Sonic Fiber was $83.99, with free shipping in the U.S.  I do see one Canadian retailer selling for $99.99 on eBay, but the shipping (Canada Post) is up near $20.00 for those of us in the U.S. 

I'm sure the stock of Fostex will be ramping up quite quick from the looks of things with various vendors finally receiving stock.  I very much doubt $99.99 will be the "norm" and it should float back down a bit.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #6,719 of 11,346

Quote:
Yeah, but B&H used to be somewhere in the range of $74.99.   Also, Sonic Fiber was $83.99, with free shipping in the U.S.  I do see one Canadian retailer selling for $99.99 on eBay, but the shipping (Canada Post) is up near $20.00 for those of us in the U.S. 

I'm sure the stock of Fostex will be ramping up quite quick from the looks of things with various vendors finally receiving stock.  I very much doubt $99.99 will be the "norm" and it should float back down a bit.

At least I didn't have to pay for any shipping, they just used their own internal courier service to send it to the store.  Took around 2 weeks though, if I recall...ordering it from B&H would have cost a little bit more if I added shipping and everything.  Seems the only place to really get it at a fair price is the united states...

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #6,720 of 11,346
Here are some comparisons of  STOCK Fostex T50RP, T40RP, and T20RP.

FWIW:  To my ears they all sound bad *stock* but the SQ is best for T50RP's. The T20RP's run a close second place and the T40RP's are a distant 3rd.

The T20RP's may offer a viable modding alternative to the T50RP's, particularly if the the T50RP's remain hard to find and if their price continues to escalate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back