Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #6,002 of 11,345
More detail then the CK10 know to be very detail?? That is very big statement. 
eek.gif

Quote:
I have no idea about LCD-2, but my modded T50 is better than my CK10, more detailed, larger soundstage, more natural sounding, less colored. CK10 is one of the better IEMs out there I think.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #6,003 of 11,345
My K501 is more detailed than my ER-4P, considered by most to be among the best in detail in IEM. Not a big statement at all, in fact it is quite meaningless. Trying to compare portable audio and home audio is like asking a 10 year old to fight an adult, they aren't judged by the same standard.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #6,004 of 11,345
A few questions for you modders.

- is Newplast heavier than normal plasticine?
- how do you stick felt to the back of the driver? Double sided tape? Glue? Is it necessary to achieve air tightness?
- I suppose you can't remove the white membrane at the back if the driver while sealing off the entire enclosure? (I mean it will sound really bad)

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #6,005 of 11,345
From the picture tutorials, I believe the felt is often sitting on two strips of double sided tape on two sides of the drivers. It's not actually air-tight with the driver considering the way they are placed.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #6,006 of 11,345
Thanks. Do you mind link me to the picture tutorial you talked about? Or just let me know who is the poster? I assume it is somewhere here in this thread, I haven't got to that part yet. Thanks.

Btw, DHL says my headphone is delivered 2 hours ago. :p

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #6,007 of 11,345
http://www.head-fi.org/a/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links-wiki

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #6,008 of 11,345
Thanks, but I have that page bookmarked.

Is it this tutorial?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/2655#post_7768646

However I don't see any double sided tape.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #6,009 of 11,345
Got the T20-mk2 and Beyer gel pads from postal office. If I'd known the logistics, could have got them back 28th.
Will start modding them in the weekends.
Don't even have anything to plug them into - don't have an 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter, so unable to listen to them yet. Look and feel much better than my Philips SHP2700. Significantly heavier and more robust save the earcup attachments - these look questionable. No squeaks whatsoever. Despite the weight, they are much more comfortable on the head. Isolation is about the same, though. Even stock earpads seem to be comfortable for me - ears fit inside completely and don't touch anything.
Will try to get an adapter tomorrow. Not expecting much out of stock though.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #6,010 of 11,345
I have a problem, I don't hear much wrong with the stock T50RP.
biggrin.gif

Please bear in mind that my main (and so far favourite) headphone is AKG K501, known to have a lush midrange. Smooth, airy, and relaxed sounding. And not known to be a bassy headphone. I do not like headphones with energetic trebles, and in this categories are DT880, DT990, most of the Grados, and etc. I also do not like aggressive and fatiguing sound. I also dislike a smoothed over sound with no texture, and muffled sound (with certain material, I find Westone 3 sounded like speakers with broken tweeters
biggrin.gif
).

Bass goes rather low. There is a hump on upper bass and lower midrange. Midrange is smooth and upfront. Treble is smooth and rather extended. The airiness is there when called for, but not the most airy sounding headphone around. Headstage is rather small and typical of a closed headphone. Imaging is mediocre. Instrument separation and layering are also mediocre, but it may have to do with the small sound stage.

Frequency balance is close to what I consider perfect. Smoothness of the midrange and treble is its specialty I guess. Detail wise, I am not so sure, it is not a headphone that throws detail at you, so at times it sounded a bit smoothed over. But on a track that I am familiar with I actually hear people talking in the background that I have not noticed before, so it might be that I am not used to the smoothness of orthodynamic driver. I could use a larger sound stage, but I am not someone who emphasize imaging with headphones, I feel that headphones just can not do a proper sound staging. I also could use a better layering.

Comfort is fine for me. The ear pad can be deeper and seal better though.

I am not sure what to mod for, as it seems pretty good to me for a closed headphone. I think I probably won't be doing anything extreme. Any suggestion on the direction would be welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: On further thought, the dynamic seems compressed compared to other dynamic headphones that I heard, not sure if it is the property of orthodynamic driver. And I think I do hear the resonance, Michael Buble sounded like he is singing into a tin can.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #6,011 of 11,345
I enjoy my T50RP's a lot!  Need a good amp to give the bass weight.  I put EQu on my ipad and with just a few judicious touches
have the sound right where I like it...never more than 1.5db boost or cut.  I would like to find a better set of earpads.  I guess my
Sennheiser HD650's have spoiled me.
Hibuck...

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #6,013 of 11,345

Quote:
On further thought, the dynamic seems compressed compared to other dynamic headphones that I heard, not sure if it is the property of orthodynamic driver.

That's my biggest gripe about the T50RP, together w/ its very flabby deep bass. This phone is not dynamic enough to my taste, I got/you can get used to it...but down the road, it's still not bouncy enough. Vintage yamies sound far more nervous.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #6,014 of 11,345
It has begun. This is a lot of fun, I have to admit. :) Just trying some things out, there will be a lot of tinkering in this project, I can already tell.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #6,015 of 11,345

Quote:
It has begun. This is a lot of fun, I have to admit.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just trying some things out, there will be a lot of tinkering in this project, I can already tell.

I wouldn't be able to have that cup sitting in front of me for more than five minutes without trying to play Simon on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back