Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #6,016 of 11,346
^ LOL 
biggrin.gif

-M

nice and tidy by the way magickman! 

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #6,017 of 11,346
Do yall think think the cushioning from the hd580/600s would make the headband more comfortable (as an alternative to LFFs suspension mod)? http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=052715 

Also, why do I see some people marking little holes (with a screwdriver?) in their plasticine? What effect does this have versus leaving it smooth?

Very nice magickman, super clean. Love the colors 
cool.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #6,019 of 11,346
Jan 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #6,020 of 11,346
I am using the 580 headband pad and it is extremely comfortable.

I ordered it too, got it sitting right here waiting to go on. Paid $8 for it from B&H.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #6,021 of 11,346
Non flat surfaces diffuses reflection, however at enclosure this small I doubt it would make any difference.

Meh, it's not like it takes much time. I'm just doing this while watching Top Gear. It's all good.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6,022 of 11,346
I don't think you can beat the comfort and price of the suspension headband with the one of the stock T50RP earpads taped to the underside of it. I am extremely sensitive to pressure on the top of my head from headphones. I have yet to find a pair of headphones I can wear for more than an hour or two without feeling some sort of discomfort on the top of my head. The same applied to clamping force and other discomfort on the sides of my head, though to a much lesser extent.

With the suspension headband (I used paper and covered it with black duct tape) and the unused earpad on the underside, I can wear the T50RPs for...well, I don't know! They have never become uncomfortable! They look super goofy, but I don't care.

If you don't mind the looks, suspension headband + unused stock T50RP earpad taped to the bottom is unbeatable on all fronts IMO.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #6,023 of 11,346

Quote:
With regards to Beyer ear pad, any one using them? Specifically which pads are compatible? Or anything for DT770/880/990 are compatible?

I tired them, but they increased the treble too much for me.
BTW the gel pads have a flexible plastic back that you can't stretch, so you can't just put them on like other pads. I got mine on by cutting the top and bottom of two balloons to make a giant rubberband then stretching it over the pads and the cups. This took me at least half an hour to put the pads on without distorting the shape.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #6,024 of 11,346
Quote:
I ordered it too, got it sitting right here waiting to go on. Paid $8 for it from B&H.

Quote:
I am using the 580 headband pad and it is extremely comfortable.

Cheers, gonna give this a try.

Quote:
Non flat surfaces diffuses reflection, however at enclosure this small I doubt it would make any difference.

I see, thanks.

Quote:
I don't think you can beat the comfort and price of the suspension headband with the one of the stock T50RP earpads taped to the underside of it. I am extremely sensitive to pressure on the top of my head from headphones. I have yet to find a pair of headphones I can wear for more than an hour or two without feeling some sort of discomfort on the top of my head. The same applied to clamping force and other discomfort on the sides of my head, though to a much lesser extent.

With the suspension headband (I used paper and covered it with black duct tape) and the unused earpad on the underside, I can wear the T50RPs for...well, I don't know! They have never become uncomfortable! They look super goofy, but I don't care.

If you don't mind the looks, suspension headband + unused stock T50RP earpad taped to the bottom is unbeatable on all fronts IMO.

Yeah I actually tried it and it was much more comfortable, but I'm a sucker for aesthetics and it's just too damn ugly for my taste.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #6,027 of 11,346
The Shures have bigger ear holes, that was my main reason for getting them.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #6,030 of 11,346
Quote:
Thanks. :)

As for the 840 pads, is it universally agreed that they sound better? Or is it a matter of taste? Or they make no difference?

I don't know if it's universal, but most people think they 840 pads sound better. I personally noticed a large difference between the stock and 840 pads (sound and comfort wise). I think it's almost mandatory that the pads get swapped out.

Quote:
Padded stock headband versus suspension strap: has anyone compared the two?

I experimented with padding on the headband before moving to the suspension headband. I remember the suspension headband (without the padding on the underside) being more or less as comfortable as certain padding on the stock headband. It was a noticeable improvement from stock headband with no padding. That said, suspension headband + padding on the underside handily trumps everything else I've tried when it comes to comfort. If you don't use the stock T50RP earpads, just use one of those as your padding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back