Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 21, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #4,951 of 11,345

Quote:
Do any of you guys know if the Carpenters used superior recording equipment when they were producing music in the 70's and early 80's?  It sounds so much clearer than almost anything from that era.  (Yes everything I have is at least 16bit FLAC or better, all quality recordings)

Carpenters isn't really my cup of tea but Close To You is a splendid recording. Burt Bacharach praised Richard Carpenter's arrangement of this song as being superior to his and Dionne Warwick's recording (and that's sayin' somethin'!). Listen to the vocal harmonies - layers and layers of them that a planar headphone presents with utmost precision. A joy!

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #4,952 of 11,345
Ardilla your Summary thread is very good and useful. The LFF mod is a mystery you have not miss anything. One thing that should be added that I remember reading and could not found it in your summary thread is the pads description from Smeggy. I found a reference to that post here   Thank you very much!  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Hi guys!

I'll remind you of my "SUMMARY" thread.... trying to organize some of the most informatie posts from this thread.

I'm an "outsider", though - I'd appreciate if some of you insiders would take a look and comment... I haven't even gotten around to the modding because of information overload :) Are there any important mods I have missed? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571549/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links

Further-  the LFF-mod seems to be a secret? Have I missed anything?

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #4,954 of 11,345
I remember reading that Hennyo achieved very good result using SRH-840 pads on his RP2 mod? Are you saying now that it's far from the result with the O2 pads? Just need clarification here before I order the O2 pads.  Thank.

Quote:
I just tried it to be sure, and as I expected the RP2 does not work at all with the stock pads.  Huge midrange hump, no top or bottom.  

I had sent a note to Hennyo predicting exactly this when I found out he didn't have the O2 pads.  The phone is peaky and not balanced, with a midrange boost, though Hennyo said removing the ear side phone helped with this...  

For those who have the O2 pads, the first time you put them on, you'll hear a big drop in the opposite way, the mids get sucked out.  The RP2 was designed to flatten this.  It works pretty well with the 840, but the bass isn't as powerful as I'd like and the top doesn't sparkle, though the mids are good.  I'd say the 840 is at 70% and the stock pads are not worth considering.  Should be easy to fix the 840, but the stock pads won't work with this config.

So PLEASE be clear, if you don't have O2 pads, it's OK but not awesome with 840, and the stock is totally not recommended.  I would really only recommend this if you have the O2 pads.  The original Rastapants were tuned for the 5000 and 840 pads. 

Since multiple people seem to have tried this with the 840 or stock pads, my apologies if I confused people.  

EDIT: stock pads were totally in my head, 840 kind of close in.  O2 deep and wide.  VERY different.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #4,955 of 11,345
Quote:
Hi guys!

I'll remind you of my "SUMMARY" thread.... trying to organize some of the most informatie posts from this thread.

I'm an "outsider", though - I'd appreciate if some of you insiders would take a look and comment... I haven't even gotten around to the modding because of information overload :) Are there any important mods I have missed? 

Nice.  Didn't know about that thread.  Make it a wiki.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #4,959 of 11,345

Quote:
Hi guys!

I guess not.

Quote:
I will not be posting nor sharing my mod here. I sincerely dislike it when people like you benefit from my hard work and ideas. Welcome to my ignore list. Enjoy your stay.

Frankly, I don't care what makes you happy or not.

Do I parade my Paradox as game changing? For me, yes - it was game changing for me. For others...I don't know. Every single person who has PM'd me regarding my mods has received the same response - I recommend that they mod themselves and use their ears to tune them as they might not like my sound signature preferences. If however, you don't want to deal with modding them, I would be happy to mod them for you.

I was leaning towards posting my mods after the innerfidelity competition was over. Now, with your post and leepeery's, I have definitely decided not to.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4,960 of 11,345
If I were to recable these is there an elegant solution to tackling the single entry L->R issue? Or do I need a more involved method of drilling a hole on the right and make it a double entry?
I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4,961 of 11,345
i just got mine in like few minutes ago. i was actully shocked how nice they looked and how well they're built. they defiantly looked much nicer in person compared to pictures. they do enjoy power but it's expected from the experience i had from the Yamaha HP-1 i had loaned to me for about month and they enjoyed power as well. right now i'm running them off speaker outputs of my 1979 Kenwood KR-720 receiver with little 1/4'' TRS to speaker output DIY box i made to run headphones off of speaker outputs without the need of re-cabling them. they do enjoy speaker outputs.

i guess i been spoiled by my 240DF's and Pioneer Monitor 10's clarity cause these seem little muffled in comprehension. it's very noticeable. switching pads did help a bit cause the drivers were touching my ears so i had some extra leather sextett 240 pads(leather,not the pleather crap the modern 240 models use) and placed them on and they fit with little stretching and it improved bass impact and bit on clarity on first notice. it does have nice lush midrange but i notice some resounance going on in some tracks i did quick testing. the treble though is actually real on these as well which i noticed right away(one reason why i loved auditioning planers) and not that fake artifical annoying sizzle with most dynamic headphones.

going to do more listening. this is just quick five minutes with them so i'll let you guys know but these do sound like some little dampen could help them cause i hear potential in the midrange and bass. the bass is not lean or weak like most people mentioning i see. back to listening now.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #4,962 of 11,345
^

I absolutely agree about their looks. They look horrible based on pics but whatever since it's the sound that matters at this price range but i was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box :)

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #4,964 of 11,345
The angled metal rods are super sexy.  But the T20v1 is probably the sexiest headphone ever made when worn.  The thin pads keep it low profile against the head, and the metal headband with everything else black.  Yowzer  One of the few headphones that actually looks better when worn. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #4,965 of 11,345
Quote:
The angled metal rods are super sexy.  But the T20v1 is probably the sexiest headphone ever made when worn.  The thin pads keep it low profile against the head, and the metal headband with everything else black.  Yowzer  One of the few headphones that actually looks better when worn. 

I hope so.  I saw some pics of the v1 here and on ebay and I thought they were quite ugly.  Not too ugly to wear, but too ugly to be considered sexy.  The v2, however, I am quite partial to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back