Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #2,386 of 11,345
UPS tracking says: out for delivery.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #2,387 of 11,345
Haha, these cans are so addictive people are giving UPS updates.:) I'll join the fun. Ordered 840 pads...

UPS tracking says: out for delivery.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2,389 of 11,345

Quote:
Me too.  If anyone wants a pair their customer service has been great so far, I would recommend them.

I've also had a great experience with their customer service regarding this transaction.  Prior to placing the order, I gave them a call to ask about the expected arrival date.  They were spot on, as well as being extremely nice and easy to talk to (a big pro over the other companies I'd called that day).  I also added some pads to my order to qualify for free shipping.  Since the Fostex was on backorder, they actually split up my shipment (still keeping it free) and I received my pads two days after the order had been placed.  It's looking like the T50RP will also be two days.  Great for free shipping. 

Oh!  The invoice that came with the pads also had a hand-written "thank you" note mentioning me by name.  Just incredibly nice and up-front guys.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2,390 of 11,345
I just got my shipping notice for the 840 pads, so I should be able to do a comparison between them and the SA5k pads.

I also have the 02 pads on standby for when my Thunderpants arrive.  I don't want to stretch them out too much on other headphones first, though.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2,392 of 11,345

Quote:
You have thunderpants incoming? :)

I haven't heard them oddly enough, I really need to make a couple calls to see if I can borrow a pair.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2,393 of 11,345
Just a word of warning: unless your idea of great sound is over 100dB, they don't even sound as good as a Sporta Pro stock, let alone O-Ones or HD25.  Don't get your hopes up.  They will take some significant work, and looking at some of the waterfall plots of minor modifications, I'd say they take A LOT of work to improve their sound substantially past the "placebo" effect of a little elbow grease and euphoria that I suspect most people are experiencing.  It's certainly possible thicker pads might change things enough, but I haven't seen any measurements of those to be convinced.  I have heard myself undeniable (for anyone) changes in sound definitely for the better on various headphone with different pads, but nothing that took a downright turd and turned it into a diamond all by itself.  The driver housing material & design match with this driver on the Fostex is really bad.  Foster may have gone nuts with computer modeling the driver, but I bet they did zilch on the finished headphone.  Probably just grabbed some pre-existing housing, slapped it in, and noticed that leaving the vent open gave it different bass than the t40rpmk2.  Two headphones to market.  Done.  Not!  This is the raw material for a headphone, not a finished headphone IMO.  At normal volumes, I've heard more lively $10 earbuds.

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2,394 of 11,345

Quote:
You have thunderpants incoming? :)

Somewhere between The US and the great white north... I'm really looking forward to doing some comparing.

Also, I am very confident that I have mine well past placebo now.  I can listen to other headphones, then put mine on and they sound good right away with no adjustment period.  It's possible, of course, Retikuli2 that you just don't like the ortho sound, which is quite different from dynamics.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #2,395 of 11,345
YAY, finaly ordered mine from Front End audio, went with them because it is so easy to order for international customers, shipping
is automaticaly calculated. $74 + $33 for postage to Australia, awesome.

Thanks to geetarman49 for the Paxmate

Thanks to ambchang for the Dynamat.

Can't wait to get these babies and start modding, woohoo. Lets see how they compare to the D7000 (from memory only).
I didn't order the SRH840 pads cause I really think that the D7000 pads or Jmoney pads are gonna be better.

From what I can see the 840 pads don't angle the drivers (big back, small front), I read elsewhere this makes a big diference.

Great to see another Aussie here hdman. Try some belgrave modeling clay which you can buy locally. It is fantastic for damping. It worked miracles on a friends turntable, almost unbelievable what it did. It will be much easier to use than dynamat and bluetack is next to useless for damping in comparison. Also no placebo for me, these things are incredible especially with quality vinyl on my system.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #2,396 of 11,345

Quote:
Great to see another Aussie here hdman. Try some belgrave modeling clay which you can buy locally. It is fantastic for damping. It worked miracles on a friends turntable, almost unbelievable what it did. It will be much easier to use than dynamat and bluetack is next to useless for damping in comparison. Also no placebo for me, these things are incredible especially with quality vinyl on my system.

You should update your profile so we know what your system is. :wink:

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2,398 of 11,345

Quote:
A little off-topic, but I'm curious how/where your friend's turntable is damped with modeling clay.

+1

Just got into vinyl here. Does he mean dampening the case?

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #2,399 of 11,345

Quote:
Just a word of warning: unless your idea of great sound is over 100dB, they don't even sound as good as a Sporta Pro stock, let alone O-Ones or HD25.  Don't get your hopes up.  They will take some significant work, and looking at some of the waterfall plots of minor modifications, I'd say they take A LOT of work to improve their sound substantially past the "placebo" effect of a little elbow grease and euphoria that I suspect most people are experiencing.  It's certainly possible thicker pads might change things enough, but I haven't seen any measurements of those to be convinced.  I have heard myself undeniable (for anyone) changes in sound definitely for the better on various headphone with different pads, but nothing that took a downright turd and turned it into a diamond all by itself.  The driver housing material & design match with this driver on the Fostex is really bad.  Foster may have gone nuts with computer modeling the driver, but I bet they did zilch on the finished headphone.  Probably just grabbed some pre-existing housing, slapped it in, and noticed that leaving the vent open gave it different bass than the t40rpmk2.  Two headphones to market.  Done.  Not!  This is the raw material for a headphone, not a finished headphone IMO.  At normal volumes, I've heard more lively $10 earbuds.

Not trying to be rude, but the whole point of this thread is that the stock system is thoroughly mediocre and with the mods a few people have posted, with one to two hours of work and $30-180 they can generate remarkably accurate and engaging sound, on par with the extremely expensive gear.  There was a lot for the early ideas that people threw out, but anyone has an incredibly good set of options from recent mods so as to not have to waste time starting from scratch....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #2,400 of 11,345

Quote:

Took me about 40 - 60 minutes of work and my T50RP's will blow the pants off any Sporta Pro or HD25. They don't take a significant amount of work to turn into a true high end headphone. It just takes a little bit of patience and knowledge. 

If they indeed did sound lousy, even after modification, I would have been among the first people to come into this thread and start calling people out on their BS. My modded T50RP remains virtually stock. 

I think you can get excellent results using the stock plastic cups and I have actual scientific measurements to back that claim up. No euphoria here...just good ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back