Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 30, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #11,266 of 11,345

The 3.5 mm listed in the link will indeed fit the T50RP's, I have several that style that I am testing and so far they are holding up well. I had no idea though that the gold plating was "cryo" treated though, most interesting.

I measured the extended portion at 5.4 mm on the right angle connector, even 6 mm od will fit the T50's.

Sorry, are you referring to the straight or angled 3.5 mm connector?

In other words, I'd like to use the right-angled connector with the stock T50RP jack, will the @PLUSSOUND extended 3.5 mm right-angled connector fit?

Thank you in advance!

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #11,267 of 11,345
Sorry, are you referring to the straight or angled 3.5 mm connector?

In other words, I'd like to use the right-angled connector with the stock T50RP jack, will the @PLUSSOUND
extended 3.5 mm right-angled connector fit?

Thank you in advance!

Neutrik make a really nice angled connector, it's what I used to make a cable for mine :)

http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/35-mm-right-angle-stereo-plug/

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #11,268 of 11,345
Neutrik make a really nice angled connector, it's what I used to make a cable for mine
smily_headphones1.gif

And it fits without modifications in the T50RP jack? It looks short compared to the plusSound and V-Moda jacks.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #11,269 of 11,345
Neutrik make a really nice angled connector, it's what I used to make a cable for mine
smily_headphones1.gif

I have built with the Neutrik's but I cannot get them to fit the Fostex jack. I have used connectors like Plussound sells and they have an extended tip and they fit fine. They have to go inside a plastic housing that is pretty small.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #11,270 of 11,345
  I have built with the Neutrik's but I cannot get them to fit the Fostex jack. I have used connectors like Plussound sells and they have an extended tip and they fit fine. They have to go inside a plastic housing that is pretty small.

Yep, that's what I figured. The outer casing of the Neutrik is 8.4 mm and I think nothing above 7 mm will fit the hole that holds the jack on the T50RPs.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #11,271 of 11,345

This is the style connector that fits fine. This is one I built for some Colorado Headphones that had a strange wiring pattern. There are right angle connectors out there like this and I am hoping Amphenol or Neutrik starts making some so the quality is there.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #11,272 of 11,345
  This is the style connector that fits fine. This is one I built for some Colorado Headphones that had a strange wiring pattern. There are right angle connectors out there like this and I am hoping Amphenol or Neutrik starts making some so the quality is there.

Sorry, I'm confused a bit: does that mean that "plusSound Cryo Treated 3.5mm Right Angle Plug" still won't fit in the T50RP, despite being extended? Only the straight plusSound connector fits? Thanks for replying and the useful info!

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #11,273 of 11,345
  Sorry, I'm confused a bit: does that mean that "plusSound Cryo Treated 3.5mm Right Angle Plug" still won't fit in the T50RP, despite being extended? Only the straight plusSound connector fits? Thanks for replying and the useful info!

The Plussound will fit fine. I have used identical connectors and they function perfectly. They also have a decent size cable opening so braided cables fit well. I do  not have one in front of me but I believe they are about a .25 cable opening. Sorry if I was unclear, I am a little short on people today what with the 4th coming up and I was helping out building some headphone cables for folks on Headfi.org. If you need something that will fit the Fostex I would be glad to build you something superior to the stock cable at no charge. Right angle connector included. I have never read much on cryo treatment of the thin layer of gold on a connector but I guess anything is possible. It may well even be possible to gild a lily.
happy_face1.gif

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #11,274 of 11,345
And it fits without modifications in the T50RP jack? It looks short compared to the plusSound and V-Moda jacks.

OK I stand corrected, kinda.. it works absolutely fine on my much older pair of t20rp mk1's, But not my T40rp mk2 :frowning2: I honestly thought they were exactly the same with the port on the casing. The stock cable is identical with the locking system and everything. Just evendently they decided to change the depth the tiniest bit haha
I've got a different plan for my T40rp's anyway

T20rp's fitting just fine.

T40rp's just not quite reaching...

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #11,275 of 11,345
I do not own the t40's just the T50rp but the connection looks similar and that does look like a Neutrik connector you have there. They are beveled inward just a bit so I am sure they come close to fitting but newer connectors seem to do a better job. A headfier here named Wildbill got me looking for something that would fit the T50 and then I discovered the Amphenol connectors as well as a few others.I was under-impressed with the original Fostex cable so I moved on from there.I know it is hard to tell the difference in some cables but what the manufacturers sell with new equipment can be vastly improved upon IMHO.

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #11,276 of 11,345
I do not own the t40's just the T50rp but the connection looks similar and that does look like a Neutrik connector you have there. They are beveled inward just a bit so I am sure they come close to fitting but newer connectors seem to do a better job. A headfier here named Wildbill got me looking for something that would fit the T50 and then I discovered the Amphenol connectors as well as a few others.I was under-impressed with the original Fostex cable so I moved on from there.I know it is hard to tell the difference in some cables but what the manufacturers sell with new equipment can be vastly improved upon IMHO.

It's definitely a Neutrik connector, I spent long enough trying to find it haha, all the newer rp series (mk2/mk3) all have basically the same casing as far as I'm aware, it's just the much older stuff that is apparently slightly shallower where the jack is somehow, also the shape of the baffle/cup is round and not the same shape as the mk2/mk3.
Anyway I agree the stock cables aren't the best but far from the worst, I'll certainly have a look at the Amphenol brand they seem a good alternative to neutrik.
IMHO I mostly sit on the fence with the audiophile cable debate, I always make my own and use decent quality stuff like Van damme but I know there are much more expensive options out there and I don't think there is a difference past a certain point. One thing I will say is an improvement over the stock cable is that It fixed the imbalance I had in the left driver being louder, so to me that suggests the sock cables are not all that great, I mostly wanted a shorter cable.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #11,277 of 11,345
It's definitely a Neutrik connector, I spent long enough trying to find it haha, all the newer rp series (mk2/mk3) all have basically the same casing as far as I'm aware, it's just the much older stuff that is apparently slightly shallower where the jack is somehow, also the shape of the baffle/cup is round and not the same shape as the mk2/mk3.
Anyway I agree the stock cables aren't the best but far from the worst, I'll certainly have a look at the Amphenol brand they seem a good alternative to neutrik.
IMHO I mostly sit on the fence with the audiophile cable debate, I always make my own and use decent quality stuff like Van damme but I know there are much more expensive options out there and I don't think there is a difference past a certain point. One thing I will say is an improvement over the stock cable is that It fixed the imbalance I had in the left driver being louder, so to me that suggests the sock cables are not all that great, I mostly wanted a shorter cable.

The only experience i have had that might cause an imbalance like that had to do with guitar cables my people were making using Canare cable. It is good product, as is Mogami but I had a customer call saying one cable was louder than another; both were identical lengths. I discovered one of the cables had a high resistance short. It was reading about 30k ohms tip to ring. Often times my people would check for shorts and opens and even test the cables live but an experienced musician picked up on it pretty fast. With Canare cable especially we have to be very heat conscious when soldering them, the dielectric can melt pretty easily. Those brands may not be real familiar but both happen to make a star quad cable, four wires thus a quick and easy way to make balanced headphone cables.(separate grounds for each channel),

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #11,278 of 11,345
Hi, new here to Head-fi but was wondering if anyone with experience owning a pair of Fostex T50RP Mk3's can confirm for me that they are really hard to drive? I have read elsewhere and seen in a couple video reviews claims that most amps cannot drive this headphone to its full potential? I've only gotten involved in improving my audio gear and knowledge the past couple months and currently only have a schiit modi 2 + magni 2 (both uber) to power them.. So really I'm wondering if its worth the buy since I'd already have to replace the earpads and cables, and getting a new amp to power them could be pricey. Any suggestions on sub $300 amps that could power them or any advice for a prospective buyer would be appreciated!

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #11,279 of 11,345
  Hi, new here to Head-fi but was wondering if anyone with experience owning a pair of Fostex T50RP Mk3's can confirm for me that they are really hard to drive? I have read elsewhere and seen in a couple video reviews claims that most amps cannot drive this headphone to its full potential? I've only gotten involved in improving my audio gear and knowledge the past couple months and currently only have a schiit modi 2 + magni 2 (both uber) to power them.. So really I'm wondering if its worth the buy since I'd already have to replace the earpads and cables, and getting a new amp to power them could be pricey. Any suggestions on sub $300 amps that could power them or any advice for a prospective buyer would be appreciated!

I was curious about those, so I got the T40RP MK3 (the closed version) to give them a try.
I am using the FIIO E12 to power them, and I never have to turn the volume knob further than 1100.
The Schiit Modi+Magni will be plentiful.

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #11,280 of 11,345

Take a look at garage1217 amps. Great sound at any price and great price:performance. I have Project Sunrise II and Project Ember. Both are terrific. Ember is my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back