Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 16, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #11,206 of 11,345
What is the difference between the closed and semi-open models. Do the closed have bass ports/vents at all, or are the completely sealed, and how is the isolation?

Closed, is well.... closed

The 50s have the bottom bass vent open.

Isolation is as expected, it's an empty plastic up, with another plastic bit surrounded by a pad between you and the outside world.

After mods, isolation is increased for sure.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #11,207 of 11,345
Hey guys, I made a How-to video of how I fill the 'Lock' hole on the stock T50RP cup to prep for paint and a different input type. No editing whatsoever, just a cut-and-next-step type of video.

HD viewing option should be available shortly after I post this.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #11,208 of 11,345
I posted this in another thread, but just in case my experience can benefit someone else...

Just learned that my ifi Nano has a "just right" amount of power for my T50s...

I just tried listening with a Schiit Magni 2 Uber (using my ifi Nano as dac) and while it did get louder than my Nano, it did not add anything to the music.

So for those of you who are in a tight budget but want great sound, I highly recommend the T50 mk3 + MrSpeaker Alpha Pads + strap (good for bald heads) + ifi Nano.

The whole setup ran about $425. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #11,209 of 11,345
I've been enjoying my stock T20v2 with 840 pads, especially with classical music. I got them as a gift 25 years ago and only recently realized they're better than any of the other headphones I own. I even like them more than the Shure SRH-840.

Can anyone recommend a mod to improve the midrange? I'm happy with the treble, and the muddy bass doesn't bother me much for classical music, but the mids sound congested, especially vocals. I've skimmed this massive thread but haven't found exactly the answer I'm looking for. Any help would be much appreciated.

By the way, I do have something to contribute. I found a good, cheap option for a replacement cable: the Hosa CMM-105R. It's shielded, fairly durable, and costs around $6. They make 5 and 10-foot versions. The right-angled connector fits perfectly in the T20 socket.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #11,210 of 11,345
I've been enjoying my stock T20v2 with 840 pads, especially with classical music. I got them as a gift 25 years ago and only recently realized they're better than any of the other headphones I own. I even like them more than the Shure SRH-840.

Can anyone recommend a mod to improve the midrange? I'm happy with the treble, and the muddy bass doesn't bother me much for classical music, but the mids sound congested, especially vocals. I've skimmed this massive thread but haven't found exactly the answer I'm looking for. Any help would be much appreciated.

By the way, I do have something to contribute. I found a good, cheap option for a replacement cable: the Hosa CMM-105R. It's shielded, fairly durable, and costs around $6. They make 5 and 10-foot versions. The right-angled connector fits perfectly in the T20 socket.

Close up a few vent slats, and add some felt to the back of the driver. This should bring the mids a bit more forward? Consequently this will reduce bass bloat.

Felt will have a much bigger impact then vets intitally. Although it's much easier to tape up a vent, and to take the tape off

There's always trade offs. (In this case it's win-win depending on how you like your bass)

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #11,212 of 11,345
  Hey friends, I'm going to carve a set of cups for my Mk2 T50RP. Does anyone know what type of wood this is? 

These are some Smeggy made several years ago, I believe.

Could be hand selected Walnut.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #11,213 of 11,345
do DT 880 pads fit the T50RP-mk3 ?

they seem to be the most comfortable pads I have ever felt!

what are the other most comfortable pads for T50RP-mk3 ?

oh, another question - did B&H stop carrying beyerdynamic cans & pads?

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #11,214 of 11,345
  do DT 880 pads fit the T50RP-mk3 ?

they seem to be the most comfortable pads I have ever felt!

what are the other most comfortable pads for T50RP-mk3 ?

oh, another question - did B&H stop carrying beyerdynamic cans & pads?

IMO The Shure Alcantara pads are the best for sound and for comfort on a T50RP.

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #11,216 of 11,345
also best recommended replacement cable that doesn't cost a small fortune?

Depends, if you want to replace the stock cable, any 3.5mm stereo cable. Yes, like how you plug in your ipod into your car.

My full rewire cost $16. My mk2s are now, Dual entry, removable, covered. Of course that takes work

EDIT: Admittedly, the left channel has issues. I think it's the 1/4" jack that goes into the amp. Resold weed (I meant *****resoldered***** I want to keep the auto correct, that's just gold heh)it twice same issue. I just need to take the time and do some trail and error. Figure out if it's the cans, connector, wire or my Mangi 2u

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #11,218 of 11,345
Anyone compare the T50RP MK3 (or previous versions) to the Fidelio X2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back