Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #11,101 of 11,345
Hello everyone,

I'm curious in grabbing a pair of these and trying out my first mod with a pair of headphones! I've been lurking on this thread for a while and I believe some of you have done so much for this community already.

I saw the Balsa Wood - Paxmat Mod and it seems really interesting an relatively easy.

Before even starting or buying these, I'd like to know, which Mod would you recommend instead? I'm not an expert, I'm actually the opposite so I wouldn't want the thing to get too complicated.

I'd like the headphones to be a good all rounder, with clear sound.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. From what I've read and learned so far, the SH840 pads seem to adapt the best, and the HD580 Adhesive headband is more suitable. Am I correct?

May 20, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #11,103 of 11,345
  Hello everyone,

I'm curious in grabbing a pair of these and trying out my first mod with a pair of headphones! I've been lurking on this thread for a while and I believe some of you have done so much for this community already.

I saw the Balsa Wood - Paxmat Mod and it seems really interesting an relatively easy.

Before even starting or buying these, I'd like to know, which Mod would you recommend instead? I'm not an expert, I'm actually the opposite so I wouldn't want the thing to get too complicated.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. From what I've read and learned so far, the SH840 pads seem to adapt the best, and the HD580 Adhesive headband is more suitable. Am I correct?

Hi Disembodied, you can try recent BMF mods, or anything simple like shure pad's, some cotton and felt inside, you can try to hunt for t20rp as they are almost the same. difference is only in "vents-ports" (or what was the name of that?) which you will seal to your own needs anyway. dont remove dampening paper on the back of the driver. try few simple things and see how it change the sound. dont put too much inside or you will overdamp your headphones. After this small tests you will have some knowledge how headphones react. I can assure you that those headphones are cameleons and you should try various things by yourself to hear it. Sealing is really important also! good luck

May 20, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #11,104 of 11,345
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

As some others said, the mk3s are coming out soon, but that *should* also mean mk2s will be marked down...

That being said, I'd start with simple cheap reversible mods.

Something of a simpler DBV mod.

Rolled cotton
new plast
stiff felt on the back of the driver
aucostic foam
and pads (840 are dirt cheap for how good they are)

That way, if you mess something up, it's easy to tune, change, or get rid of, and it's cheap.

Mayflower has a modding kit for $20. Has the cotton, felt, newplast, and foam all in one package.

Headband isn't "that" uncomfortable. It's soft rubber, but a pad of any sort will work, I made a removable one out if scrap canvas and pillow stuffing. It's amazing

As far as the mk3s go, no one really knows how they will sound, or what is different, so it will be a bit before mods come out for them. I'm sure BMF and friends will be on the ball though :)

May 21, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #11,105 of 11,345
Thank you all for the precious advice! I'll just stay on the lookout, if I see a fostex t20rp getting marked down I'll make sure I get one!

Balsa Wood seems to be a good mod for me, and also reversible. I'll keep this in mind!

May 21, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #11,106 of 11,345
I've ordered the mod kit and comfort band from Mayflower since this T50RP with Alpha Pads is simply AWESOME and has become my daily driver!
biggrin.gif
 Looking to improve the sound a little more, as well as bring up the comfort with the Mayflower comfort band. Man, no wonder this thread is still so active, the T50RP is simply AWESOME! Oops, said that already, didn't I?
redface.gif

May 21, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #11,107 of 11,345
  I've ordered the mod kit and comfort band from Mayflower since this T50RP with Alpha Pads is simply AWESOME and has become my daily driver!
biggrin.gif
 Looking to improve the sound a little more, as well as bring up the comfort with the Mayflower comfort band. Man, no wonder this thread is still so active, the T50RP is simply AWESOME! Oops, said that already, didn't I?
redface.gif

What type of mods did you apply?

May 21, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #11,113 of 11,345
I've ordered the mod kit and comfort band from Mayflower since this T50RP with Alpha Pads is simply AWESOME and has become my daily driver!:D  Looking to improve the sound a little more, as well as bring up the comfort with the Mayflower comfort band. Man, no wonder this thread is still so active, the T50RP is simply AWESOME! Oops, said that already, didn't I?:xf_eek:

They sure are, of course there are better cans out there, but none for the price. And once you get used to the sound of an orthro, it's hard to go back to anything else xD

Most people hate the look, I freaking LOVE them. So boxy, cheap looking and retro, I've blown many a mind when they put them on xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back