Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #8,117 of 11,345
Ok. I received my earpad from mp4nation. Yes I said earpad no "s". Just realized that the sell them per the unit 
mad.gif
. But at least it was very easy for me to install it in place of the SRH-840 pad. So now another 3 weeks wait time for my second pad.

May 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #8,118 of 11,345
$%^&!!
I ordered 3 thinking I got a good deal on three pairs. Why would you sell them in singles?
Quote:
Ok. I received my earpad from mp4nation. Yes I said earpad no "s". Just realized that the sell them per the unit 
mad.gif
. But at least it was very easy for me to install it in place of the SRH-840 pad. So now another 3 weeks wait time for my second pad.

May 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #8,119 of 11,345
Do you think the T50's will benefit from speaker taps? I have been listening to them out of the HP out of my AU 717 (which I also use with the HE-6) and anything past 11 is too loud. They are more hungry than the LCD-2 though and can take up to  20% more to get to the same volume.
Quote:

That should be where I'll be in about 2 weeks.  Going balanced will allow me to use my speaker taps where I usually drive my HifiMAN headphones off of.

May 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #8,122 of 11,345
I read somewhere the reason why you dimple the plasticine on the baffle, but I can't remember it. Can someone refresh my memory of it?
theoretically to diffuse reflections. I don't remember anyone actually testing this empirically or otherwise.

May 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8,123 of 11,345
I briefly gave it a listen before and after dimpling and didn't notice a difference by ear... but really, it's a whole 30 seconds of work so it doesn't hurt to add it in. 

May 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #8,124 of 11,345
Quote:
Quote:
I read somewhere the reason why you dimple the plasticine on the baffle, but I can't remember it. Can someone refresh my memory of it?

theoretically to diffuse reflections. I don't remember anyone actually testing this empirically or otherwise.

Quote:
I briefly gave it a listen before and after dimpling and didn't notice a difference by ear... but really, it's a whole 30 seconds of work so it doesn't hurt to add it in. 

Okay I see. Thanks.

May 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #8,125 of 11,345

It probably does little to diffuse as the dimples are too small relative to most audio wavelengths.... That said, if I recall, the op on the technique did it to pack the mass loading material, and also because it was "oddly satisfying.". :D. I think those were the words...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #8,128 of 11,345
So I packed my baffles with newplast (finally). I think the bass has tightened a bit more, a bit more controlled (although it was pretty in controlled before). I wish I have more time to try other stuff, but that's all for now LOL. 

EDIT: If anything, I think the mids gets a little bit more neutral, not so forward as before. I don't know, maybe I'm expecting a change and I'm hearing it. Wish I have time to make that test equipment.

May 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #8,129 of 11,345
I think I found the biggest complaints I've had with my modded T20RPs -- the treble roll-off is just too much for me. I've enjoyed them much more after applying a +0-9dB EQ to the 12-20khz range.

May 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #8,130 of 11,345
So the HM5 replacement pads are in fact just different pads from the older style.  I'm not sure if the replacements are different, or whether they changed the pads on the headphones as well.  They have very similar sound- definitely the same family and more similar than compared to an 840, but they do sound different.  I'm actually really liking the new style now.  They are more comfortable in some ways, since they are softer and squishier.  I'm finding the sound equally good, though a bit different.  Might as well name them for clarity here. 

HM5 mk1 - deeper/thicker pad, stiffer material used on the inside of the pad
HM5 mk2 - thinner pad, softer/squishier/less firm, the same very soft material is used on all sides of the pad. 

edit:  mk1 has more holographic soundstage, not sure if it's really bigger.  mk1 has a bit more treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back