Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #8,146 of 11,346
Pfft, who needs treble 
tongue.gif

May 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #8,148 of 11,346
Okay, so I bit. I bought all the materials needed to mod to my hearts content. Question though, I don't exactly know what the reflex dots would be referred to as online. Anyone?

P.S.- I ordered quite a bit of materials if anyone else new is looking to mod, I'll be more than happy to send some out for super cheap once they come in 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #8,149 of 11,346
The reflex dot is any non/not-so-porous material that sits behind the driver to reflect high freqs among others.

Most people use a furniture rubber stopper (or whatever they're called; they're really not as thick as a stopper)... you know, those things you put under the desks and etc to prevent it from scratching the floor or vice versa. In other applications you can use any piece of plastic or even just tape (don't think this last one is recommended for the T50RP since the driver's back has paper on it).

May 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #8,151 of 11,346
I was surfing around the web and came across some interesting graphs and audio samples you can listen to through your headphones:  FR Ranges by instrument and vocals, fundamentals, harmonics, where various desirable and undesirable sound qualities "live," equal loudness contours, and EQ effects with audio samples. 

FR Ranges, etc. - Interactive with your mouse or cursor:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Equal Loudness Contours - Interactive with your mouse or cursor:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/ear_sensitivity.htm

Before and After EQ Audio Samples:
http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixing-mastering/6-different-frequencies-and-how-to-spot-them/

May 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #8,152 of 11,346
Quote:
Okay, so I bit. I bought all the materials needed to mod to my hearts content. Question though, I don't exactly know what the reflex dots would be referred to as online. Anyone?

P.S.- I ordered quite a bit of materials if anyone else new is looking to mod, I'll be more than happy to send some out for super cheap once they come in 
biggrin.gif

PM sent

May 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #8,154 of 11,346
Quote:
I was thinking of the little clear gel-like dots, I think I may have something similar though :) Thanks!

be VERY careful of the adhesive on those. I can't recall if it was the original adhesive or the aftermarket crap i put on those when i used a couple as reflex dots on my Pro-30's.   Applied directly to the damping fabric the glue sort of melted in and created a large area  in the damping fabric that acted as a larger reflex dot, so I had to remove the damping layer entirely.  Be sure to use a decent adhesive double sided tape if you go this route.  Even think about this with stickers/decals you might be using for the same effect.

May 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #8,155 of 11,346
Quote:
be VERY careful of the adhesive on those. I can't recall if it was the original adhesive or the aftermarket crap i put on those when i used a couple as reflex dots on my Pro-30's.   Applied directly to the damping fabric the glue sort of melted in and created a large area  in the damping fabric that acted as a larger reflex dot, so I had to remove the damping layer entirely.  Be sure to use a decent adhesive double sided tape if you go this route.  Even think about this with stickers/decals you might be using for the same effect.

Quick fix for that. Put a piece of tape under the dot (assuming the tape doesn't have the same melty glue). I find painter's tape works well. Micropore or masking tape can get gooey quickly. 

May 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #8,156 of 11,346
Hello T50rp community,

I want to make Thunderpants but do not have access to woodworking tools.  I have now decided to order some 3D prints of the cups and baffles.

I need head-fi's help.  Which of the materials on this website should I use to make my thunderpants?  Some of the materials have density listed in their "Material Datasheet" under "Want to Know More?".

Also, can someone link me to some specifications of the thunderpants?  I need to make CAD documents to upload to the 3D printing site.

Thanks,
Perry

May 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #8,157 of 11,346
Quote:
Hello T50rp community,

I want to make Thunderpants but do not have access to woodworking tools.  I have now decided to order some 3D prints of the cups and baffles.

I need head-fi's help.  Which of the materials on this website should I use to make my thunderpants?  Some of the materials have density listed in their "Material Datasheet" under "Want to Know More?".

Also, can someone link me to some specifications of the thunderpants?  I need to make CAD documents to upload to the 3D printing site.

Thanks,
Perry

Shapeway doesn't do wood AFAIK.
So in terms of Thunderpands, I'm not sure any of those fit the bill properly. Wood isn't all about density, although it plays a big role.
As for making the same thing with other material-- as I recall someone did manage to do that with good results, correct me if I am wrong here.

Which material to choose in particular would be to your own bidding. There are some headphone parts' prints already, you can take a look at those and use them as material reference. I guess just avoid brittle materials and metals since they conduct high frequencies very well.

Also just so you know Thunderpants are not just T50RP drivers slapped into bare wooden cups. As far as specifications you're better off asking someone that actually has the authority over its disclosure (i.e. Smeggy).

May 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #8,159 of 11,346
Have anyone here tried any Audio Technica ear pads from the A/AD/W series? They should fit. I asked someone to measure a A900x ear pad and the outer diameter is approximately 10.4cm. So it should fit the T50RP, if according by this number. Since they look quite big and comfy, maybe that's another potential ear pad alternative.

Also I have lined the cups with paxmate plus, and my god the changes. It's almost everything I wanted. Hard hitting bass but controlled and not boomy at all, although maybe a little bit too much volume. Forward, intimate mids, but slightly recessed compared to the bass. Highs though is the same as stock, maybe a little bit more detailed than before, but still recessed compared to the other 2 main sounds. Whatever soundstage was there before got destroyed. Okay that may be a bit hyperbolic, but now everything sounds like just outside my head. Instrument separation is superb, better than before a bit. I thought before it was already good, surprised that it can get better! Overall, quite impressed by just a little acoustic dampening could do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back