Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #7,996 of 11,345
Quote:

Moving on, I had to mention, I tried covering the bass vents with electrical tape out of sheer curiosity -- don't.  Doing this make everything sound stale.  All luster is lost, the mids and highs get muddy and bland as well as losing bass depth and clarity.  I was surprised how night and day the difference was.  I even adjusted the tape to cover all but one vent; this exaggerated said dramatic changes!

The effect of the vent varies greatly depending on the mods, and it tends to impact the mid bass to lower midrange (though it also affects ringing in the 8K range).  You can't really generalize like this...  That's one of the beauties, and pains, of modding the T50 is that what works great in one setup can be a total fail in a setup only a little bit different.

I do agree with RhythmDevil that your air gaps in the tape will probably be an issue.  Try double sided tape, vs foam tape, and make it continuous.  I've tested this and between that and the pressure on the pads, what little gaps remain get closed and it is a proper seal.  If you have any air leaks at all, bass below 100Hz falls off a cliff.

BTW, love Laphroig!  Also a big Coal Ila fan.  Long live the peat monsters!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 1, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #7,997 of 11,345
So out of curiosity I stacked the stock pads on top of my sa5k pads. I think the bass got deeper and slightly bit punchier (also I think that the sa5k pads aren't too sealing around my ears; and practically I can say that it's almost the same as not wearing any pads LOL) but the mids and highs are sucked out; the former more than the latter. Comfort though significantly increased. 

I want to pursue this further though. Anybody have some suggestions I can try to secure the stock pads on top of the sa5k's as flush as possible yet still somewhat reversible?

May 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #7,998 of 11,345
BTW, everyone, I'm now a Member of the Trade.  My status will be changing soon to reflect that...  To follow the rules, it will affect what I can post.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #8,000 of 11,345
I think I may have answered my own, and maybe mrscotchguy's, problem too. 

Maybe double-sided tape beneath the stock pad (or in mrscotchguy's case, the srh1440's pads) to make it more secure.
Quote:
So out of curiosity I stacked the stock pads on top of my sa5k pads. I think the bass got deeper and slightly bit punchier (also I think that the sa5k pads aren't too sealing around my ears; and practically I can say that it's almost the same as not wearing any pads LOL) but the mids and highs are sucked out; the former more than the latter. Comfort though significantly increased. 

I want to pursue this further though. Anybody have some suggestions I can try to secure the stock pads on top of the sa5k's as flush as possible yet still somewhat reversible?

May 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #8,001 of 11,345
Quote:
Member of the trade for what?  T50rp's?

Yup.  I have work I haven't published, it was too good to not commercialize, and I've wanted to do an audio company for years.  Time to get off the old butt and do a startup...  

beerchug.gif

May 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #8,002 of 11,345
May 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #8,004 of 11,345

May 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #8,005 of 11,345
Congrats mrspeakers!  I'll be excited to see/hear what you've come up with once your commercial site is up and running.  Any chance you'll have something ready to show off by the summer LA meet?

In the meanwhile - I've been playing with singen, and have an obvious stubborn peak in my curve between 1k - 2k.  Anyone have any thoughts as to what I might try to do to chip away at it?

Present mods are as follows
-cup floor covered in silverstone, except for bass port felt which remains in place and uncovered, at least on the inside;
-3 of 4 bass port slots taped over from the outside with electrical tape;
-back of baffle mass loaded with plasticine;
-plasticine smeared around outer grove of cups for improved seal;
-4 cotton balls fluffed out and compressed into each cup;
-stock earside felt cut from over driver
-LFF suspension mod
-840 pads;
-vmoda cable

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

May 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #8,006 of 11,345
@mrscotchguy & jgray: If the headphones give you enough clamping force then you can just stack them without any adhesive means to know how it sounds 'properly sealed". In the case of using double sided tape to hold the two pieces together, having smaller amounts of it (rather than a ring of it with small gaps) can still grant you the seal you need when the pads are in compression on the head. This should be the easier way to get a seal. It doesn't matter if the pads aren't properly sealed when they're off your head.
Playing with the layer order changes the sound a lot too. The two pads have different volumes, and going from a larger one to smaller one may congest the sound a bit but tends to sound better than going from smaller to larger. What I want to ask you two though is if you get treble peaks. The reason why I stopped stacking pads on the T50RP (stock + 840, forgot which order) is really because of the treble that kind of hurts my ears. Never tried stacking with velours though.

Odd that my setup sounds close to no different with back vents sealed. So I just leave it open... less clunk.

May 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #8,008 of 11,345

May 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #8,009 of 11,345
Quote:
Odd that my setup sounds close to no different with back vents sealed. So I just leave it open... less clunk.

I don't know your setup, but you probably have material of some kind damping the vent area enough that there is little difference between open and closed- it's effectively closed already. 

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can learn how to make DIY pads?

find a girlfriend.

May 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #8,010 of 11,345

Users who are viewing this thread

Back