Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 2, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #8,011 of 11,345
Quote:
I think I may have answered my own, and maybe mrscotchguy's, problem too. 

Maybe double-sided tape beneath the stock pad (or in mrscotchguy's case, the srh1440's pads) to make it more secure.

Sound advice, though with the foam mounting tape, you can get a fairly good seal without the electrical tape.  I would prefer not to use it as I do not like the look... yeah yeah, I know cosmetics shouldn't get in the way of good sound.  I may try it, but I doubt down the road, though see only using electrical tape as just a temporary fix.  I am pretty sure once I find the configuration I like, I will potentially just use contact cement to make it good and permanent.

@mrscotchguy & jgray: If the headphones give you enough clamping force then you can just stack them without any adhesive means to know how it sounds 'properly sealed". In the case of using double sided tape to hold the two pieces together, having smaller amounts of it (rather than a ring of it with small gaps) can still grant you the seal you need when the pads are in compression on the head. This should be the easier way to get a seal. It doesn't matter if the pads aren't properly sealed when they're off your head.
Playing with the layer order changes the sound a lot too. The two pads have different volumes, and going from a larger one to smaller one may congest the sound a bit but tends to sound better than going from smaller to larger. What I want to ask you two though is if you get treble peaks. The reason why I stopped stacking pads on the T50RP (stock + 840, forgot which order) is really because of the treble that kind of hurts my ears. Never tried stacking with velours though.

Odd that my setup sounds close to no different with back vents sealed. So I just leave it open... less clunk.

I initially started out with absolutely no adhesive during pad stacking.  I liked it, but it was a pain in the arse keeping them on squarely.  That led me what you have seen in the pictures.  I only bought foam mounting tape purely out of convenience; I could not find any double sided masking tape at Ace!  In the end, the mounting tape works out superbly.  As for using small amounts vs a full ring, I do not believe it would work with mounting tape, but possibly with masking tape or clear tape since they are very thin.  

I am certain the layer order greatly effects the sound.  I guess I lucked out stumbling on the stack the way it is now before trying other combinations.  Compared to the other configurations I did not like their sound at all; this setup just sounds beautiful to my ears.  Note that I never tried my srh840 pads under the srh1440/1840 pads.  I found the srh840 pads stretch too easily  since they are a bit too small for to fit the T50rps just right.  

The sound, oh the sound.  The harshness of the treble is all gone with srh1440/1840 pads stacked on top of the stock ones.  As I have said before, there are a few drawbacks, but each aspect seems to only get better, not worse.  I still cannot believe how much of a difference it makes.  I highly recommend this combo (mainly for those not willing to open up the cups).

I personally like velour over pleather (no ear sweat).  Eventually I would like to make my own lambskin pads similar to the Stax O2s.

May 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #8,013 of 11,345
Quote:
@mrscotchguy & jgray: If the headphones give you enough clamping force then you can just stack them without any adhesive means to know how it sounds 'properly sealed". In the case of using double sided tape to hold the two pieces together, having smaller amounts of it (rather than a ring of it with small gaps) can still grant you the seal you need when the pads are in compression on the head. This should be the easier way to get a seal. It doesn't matter if the pads aren't properly sealed when they're off your head.
Playing with the layer order changes the sound a lot too. The two pads have different volumes, and going from a larger one to smaller one may congest the sound a bit but tends to sound better than going from smaller to larger. What I want to ask you two though is if you get treble peaks. The reason why I stopped stacking pads on the T50RP (stock + 840, forgot which order) is really because of the treble that kind of hurts my ears. Never tried stacking with velours though.

Odd that my setup sounds close to no different with back vents sealed. So I just leave it open... less clunk.

Thanks for the advice; will keep this in mind. Thing is, mind doesn't give too much clamp for me to feel confident of its seal. While not stack the clamp is just enough to me quite comfortable though. I don't hear any treble spikes from my short time playing with it, but midrange and bass are kind of reduced making the treble more prominent though. I'll play with it again later after I've finished writing my final impressions of it in my blog and in the product review page; for my own reference and others I guess.

May 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #8,014 of 11,345
Quote:
Quote:
Eh? So you're going to make a startup modding T50RPs?

Among other things. That is part of the plan...

Nice. Can you give us just a bit more detail on who you're catering to? Would your mods be more for someone who:
1) doesn't want to risk messing up their cans doing the mods documented here?
2) wants completely remade cans (a la KODA)?
3) wants something akin to the Paradox?

May 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #8,015 of 11,345
Nice. Can you give us just a bit more detail on who you're catering to? Would your mods be more for someone who:
1) doesn't want to risk messing up their cans doing the mods documented here?
2) wants completely remade cans (a la KODA)?
3) wants something akin to the Paradox?

Thanks for the interest! I can't compare to other products, as that is a violation of the forum posting guides for MOT. My primary goal is to support users who don't want to do their own mods but love the ortho sound, and to have a few nice things for modders.

I don't wan't to troll the thread, so drop a note if you have specific questions.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #8,016 of 11,345
The only person that can make a paradox is LFF.
I don't see why BMF would remake the whole headphone as other people are already doing that, but I could be wrong.
I assume he'll mod/tune them and sell them for however much he values his time and skills, but it's only an assumption.

May 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #8,017 of 11,345
Quote:

I don't see why BMF would remake the whole headphone as other people are already doing that, but I could be wrong.
I assume he'll mod/tune them and sell them for however much he values his time and skills, but it's only an assumption.

You must be referring to someone else. I'm not re-making headphones and I'm certainly not modding/tuning for profit!  LOL

May 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #8,018 of 11,345
Quote:

Yup....

Mr.Speakers T50RP's sound vastly different to my Paradox. I'm guessing this is because we both had different ideals and goals from the start.

May 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #8,019 of 11,345
Quote:

Not saying that he would make the Paradox. I meant something like it, meaning a secretive mod that would improve the sound to LCD quality levels.

May 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #8,020 of 11,345
I created an illustrated guide to replacing damaged flaps on Fischer 003 pads. To do the repair, you'll need an old mountain-bike inner tube (free from a bike repair shop), the ability to hand sew and, ideally but not necessarily, some comfort with a sewing machine.

Here's the link.
http://picasaweb.google.com/109082108141353641215/Fischer003PadRepair?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Here are the results:

May 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #8,021 of 11,345
Quote:
Not saying that he would make the Paradox. I meant something like it, meaning a secretive mod that would improve the sound to LCD levels.

They've already been at those levels for some time w/ the Paradox depending on the LCD in question.  Mr. Speakers T50rp doesn't sound anymore LCDish than the Paradox.  They are both voiced differently as well to different tastes.

May 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #8,022 of 11,345
Quote:
I created an illustrated guide to replacing damaged flaps on Fischer 003 pads. To do the repair, you'll need an old mountain-bike inner tube (free from a bike repair shop), the ability to hand sew and, ideally but not necessarily, some comfort with a sewing machine.

Here's the link.
http://picasaweb.google.com/109082108141353641215/Fischer003PadRepair?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Here are the results:

VERY nice!!!

May 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #8,023 of 11,345
I've heard both (LFF and I work together), and I spent some time with Mr. Speakers latest at the Village meet. Anaxilus is right - they're voiced differently, and thus it's very subjective which one might prefer. To my ears, Paradox is preferable.
Quote:

They've already been at those levels for some time w/ the Paradox depending on the LCD in question.  Mr. Speakers T50rp doesn't sound anymore LCDish than the Paradox.  They are both voiced differently as well to different tastes.

May 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #8,024 of 11,345
BTW, everyone, I'm now a Member of the Trade.  

it was too good to not commercialize

jesus-facepalm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back