Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #3,976 of 11,345
Thanks BMF for your update on the Dynamate/Insert_Whatever_You_Have_Here material on the ear side of the baffle.  I'll be trying it.... right now!

Will report back tomorrow with my findings.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #3,977 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I just can't get the stock pads to sound good with any of the Rastapants-type mods. The difference between stock pads and 840 pads is astounding. Might just be my ears/shape of my head, or perhaps the RP mods (not the 2nd one) just don't work well with stock.

What part of "Rastapants 2 was made for O2 pads" am I not being clear enough on?  I don't say this to be snide, but I feel bad that people are missing this point and wasting effort on this, as my work and postings were quite specific and while I've posted 3-4 times on this subject the point is getting lost (maybe the thread is now so huge people can't find the right info anywhere anymore).  

Repeat:  the Rastapants 2 sound with stock is dreadful, they were not made with stock pads in mind.  At all.  

I'm investing in some new test gear and software so I can do a fully quantified mod, with performance charts.  I'll probably go "dormant" on designs for a few weeks.  When I resurface, the next one will have full test results to go with it so people can see the effect of mods, and the results.  

While it's fun to see all the ideas, I feel like we've hit the point where there's too much noise and confusion on the thread and not enough science.  IMHO, it's probably gotten to the point where a new reader will have no idea where to start.  Since some mods are not reversible and there are so many ideas about, getting real results posted vs. hype and theory maybe helpful.

My $.02.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #3,978 of 11,345

Quote:
 (maybe the thread is now so huge people can't find the right info anywhere anymore).  

THIS!

Quote:
I'm investing in some new test gear and software so I can do a fully quantified mod, with performance charts.  I'll probably go "dormant" on designs for a few weeks.  When I resurface, the next one will have full test results to go with it so people can see the effect of mods, and the results.    

Cool! Finally....some actual verification (aside from mine) on the mods.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #3,979 of 11,345

Quote:
What part of "Rastapants 2 was made for O2 pads" am I not being clear enough on?  I don't say this to be snide, but I feel bad that people are missing this point and wasting effort on this, as my work and postings were quite specific and while I've posted 3-4 times on this subject the point is getting lost (maybe the thread is now so huge people can't find the right info anywhere anymore).  

Repeat:  the Rastapants 2 sound with stock is dreadful, they were not made with stock pads in mind.  At all.  

While it's fun to see all the ideas, I feel like we've hit the point where there's too much noise and confusion on the thread and not enough science.  IMHO, it's probably gotten to the point where a new reader will have no idea where to start.  Since some mods are not reversible and there are so many ideas about, getting real results posted vs. hype and theory maybe helpful.

My $.02.  

I think he was agreeing with you on your point about the stock pads. Although you did specifically tune your mods to the O2 pads, it's still nice to hear feedback from people using the same mods with different pads as it reinforces the sound difference between pads, and what specific mods do to the sound. Plus, we all have different tastes, and some people may prefer the sound of the RP2 on different pads (ie. upfront mids, unobtrusive bass, smoothed treble). For example, Hennyo has tuned his headphones to RP2 specs with stock pads and believes them to beat the LCD-2. 

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but I believe your Rastapants to be a great foundation or starting point for people to then fine-tune to their preferences/pads afterward. For my "almost RP2" with 840 pads, I've found that closing the bass vent with the stock felt and then taping 3.5 of 4 slits to suit my preferences the best right now. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see measurements as well. Did that Irvine meet ever happen, and were any of the T50RP guys able to compare/contrast the different setups? 

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3,980 of 11,345
My third pair of t50's showed up today and instead of Thunderpanting this pair i just got started with a few basic mods floating around here.

All I have done so far is loaded the baffle with tons of plasticine, dimpled it. covered 3 of the 4 cup bass vents. threw a random piece of felt in the cup. put on my o2 pads from the thunderpants i had laying around.thats it...

the rest of the supplies are on the way to fully finish them.

Buttttt, what i cant believe, is how handily these are kicking around the thunderpants i built...!  aaaand i have only spent about 2 hours on the t50 vs too many hours to count on the thunders...  this is just nutty. Thank you all for your efforts and time. I will be experimenting, if i come up with anything new, i'll be sure to report back. Till then ya'll enjoy your seup :wink:

-M

ps. i thought i would add that infected mushroom is some great t50 music. loads of articulate bass and fun mid-highs!  try dancing with kadafi or heavy weight or I am the supervisor.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3,981 of 11,345
mrspeakers,

I will speak for myself. I believe you yourself said that you would be investigating how to modify your RP2 design to work with both 840 pads as well as stock. I guess your post means you have changed your mind about that. No problem. I did your mod on one set of phones to use as a starting point. In other words, I picked up some 840 pads and was going to play around with your mod to tune it for stock pads and / or 840 pads, or if you had posted changes, I might have tried those.

So, for me anyhow, that was the motivation.

I agree that your mod sounds dreadful with the stock pads! :)

Although, as I stated in a past post, the low end sounds pretty good... the rest of it stinks though.

Quote:

My $.02.  

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #3,982 of 11,345

Quote:
mrspeakers,

I will speak for myself. I believe you yourself said that you would be investigating how to modify your RP2 design to work with both 840 pads as well as stock. I guess your post means you have changed your mind about that. No problem. I did your mod on one set of phones to use as a starting point. In other words, I picked up some 840 pads and was going to play around with your mod to tune it for stock pads and / or 840 pads, or if you had posted changes, I might have tried those.

Although, as I stated in a past post, the low end sounds pretty good... the rest of it stinks though. 

I thought stock pads were horrible with everything and felt bass pretty much disappeared. I'm also under the impression that mrspeakers is planning to do a RP2 design for both the 840 and stock pads but that the current configuration is only suitable for those who own the O2 pads. However there will need a good amount of changes for the stock pads. I don't have the 840 pads so don't know how it sounds with the current configuration but if it is anything like stock then it will not sound good.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #3,983 of 11,345

Quote:
I thought stock pads were horrible with everything and felt bass pretty much disappeared. I'm also under the impression that mrspeakers is planning to do a RP2 design for both the 840 and stock pads but that the current configuration is only suitable for those who own the O2 pads. However there will need a good amount of changes for the stock pads. I don't have the 840 pads so don't know how it sounds with the current configuration but if it is anything like stock then it will not sound good.

With all due respect, the stock pads are capable of sounding quite good, and bass does not disappear. I agree that there are better pads, but the stock pads are capable of sounding very good. The RP2 configuration is NOT the one to use to achieve this, however.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #3,984 of 11,345

Quote:
mrspeakers,

I still plan to do the 840 mod, and am always interested in what other people do.  Alas, this thread just seems to have gotten remarkably complex.  I'm not trying to dampen things, but the challenge is with so many ideas, variants, and different ears and tastes, it's hit overload...  If you get something you like drop me a PM and I'll try it, and when my test rig is done, I'll test it.

Headphone testing is a whole other issue, so I think I'll be directing my energy to sound science...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #3,985 of 11,345
Agree, its just that the bass sounds different.

Quote:

With all due respect, the stock pads are capable of sounding quite good, and bass does not disappear. I agree that there are better pads, but the stock pads are capable of sounding very good. The RP2 configuration is NOT the one to use to achieve this, however. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3,986 of 11,345
Quote:

What part of, "Yeah, I just can't get the stock pads to sound good with any of the Rastapants-type mods...perhaps the RP mods (not the 2nd one) just don't work well with stock." am I not being clear enough on? :p

It seems like the only real difference between RP1 and RP2 is how the vents are tuned and the explicit usage of the O2 pads. RP2 has them closed, RP1 does not. RP2 basically requires O2 pads. RP1 does not. The additions of Dynamat in the cups and Paxmate over the Plasticine in the baffle probably have less of an effect on the sound than the vent tuning.

I'm fully aware of the differences between how you've modded the T50RP and was not referring to RP2 specifically. :)

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #3,987 of 11,345
Ortho Jedis... let us focus on our goal. To tweak our Fostexes to their fullest and bestEST sound for our own heads
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #3,988 of 11,345

Quote:
I still plan to do the 840 mod, and am always interested in what other people do.  Alas, this thread just seems to have gotten remarkably complex.  I'm not trying to dampen things, but the challenge is with so many ideas, variants, and different ears and tastes, it's hit overload...  If you get something you like drop me a PM and I'll try it, and when my test rig is done, I'll test it.

Headphone testing is a whole other issue, so I think I'll be directing my energy to sound science...

Will do, and thanks for all of your hard work on these mods for the poor saps like me who do not have the time for it!

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #3,989 of 11,345
Hm, I'm hesitant to buy some dynamat if I don't need to...are there any more readily available alternatives or is it a pretty specific thing?

Also, exactly how much of a difference does putting it on the ear-side of the baffle even do?  I can't imagine it's much...

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,990 of 11,345
I thought a picture would be fun :) 

the happy family until the bifrost gets here... if ever...

I know this isnt a post your setup, but thought id post the bad combo of the brown o2 on the black t50
tongue_smile.gif

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back